Coated/Coated

cap'n

What would be the results of using a coated head for your batter and resonant side? Like a Coated Ambassador/Coated Ambassador. Would the toms still be punchy and defined or would all be warm resonance? Is there something I could listen to where this is used?

Is there something I could listen to where this is used?

Pretty much every drummer prior to the early 70's would be using coated both sides.....at least the guys after they stopped using calf skin. There are literally hundreds....from many of the big name jazz greats to the early rock guys....and pretty much everything in between. Where you start is up to you. :)

Last edited:
Heck yeah, a coated Amb top & bottom gets a fat, punchy, resonant sound. Tuned down a touch adds warmth, tuned the same gets a real nice tone length as well.
A tighter bottom gets a nice attack and defined tone, and sounds huge on floor toms.

I use that combo, and it's great on my kits.

Coated G1 on t&b sounds great too, if you are into Evans heads.

I wouldn't go anything heavier than a coated ambassador over coated ambassador on a maple kit. How warm do you want it? I mean you should be fine with a coated head on top and a regular ambassador clear reso. I have to say I've never tried coated on coated and I don't feel the need to. I'm just imagining a dried out thump tom sound and thats not something to be desired, at least from my point of view.

Last time I bought heads in January, I did the coated over coated for the first time. I was inspired by Benny Greb who stole the idea from Bonham (or at least that's what he said at the clinic I saw him at!). Good enough for Benny and John, then good enough for me to try at least once, right? Anyway, I'm using Emperors over Ambassadors and they're a warm, mellow combo on my maple drums. I recorded with them a week later and they sounded fantastic. I'm used to them now and like them enough, but I'll probably go back to clear resos next time around just to liven them up a bit.

I'm just imagining a dried out thump tom sound

Nothing of the sort on my Classic Maples.

They might not sound as "ringy" as with clear bottoms, but they are just as resonant in all the tones I do want in a drum. I can get as long a clear tone as I desire with a coated Amb bottom using either a Coated Ambassador or a Coated Emperor on top.

All drum brands are different, so that's just what my experience is.

Vintage Emperors over Coated Ambassadors is my favorite combo. It's very classic rock sounding. I can see where it might be too much on anything under a 12" tom.

Coated resonant heads warm up the tone of the resonance to a further degree (assuming you're already using coated batter heads). Definitely a great sound for jazz though it could certainly fit in a variety of other settings.

Ive always used Evans G2 (batter) Evans G1 (Reso) but as of last week decided to have a change. ive got Aquarian Performance II on the Batter and the thinnest remo head i could find for the reso.. Got to admit, sounds very nice!

I've been using vintage E's over vintage A's for a some time now on all my toms. I love that sound. The coated head is all the muffling I need for a large open sound.

when i changed heads a few months ago, after having the clear resos, i went back to old school with the coated on the resos. single ply coated, top and bottom.

This is the beauty of owning a 14" tom! You can try it, and if you hate it, you have a spare snare head and didn't lose anything in the process. I think that coated resos might be a better alternative to try for those who moon-gel the crap out of their toms.

Back