Tony Royster Jr.

Out of all the drum features on the Letterman Show, Tony really blew me away ~ like the next evolution of Dennis Chambers! Just blistering! : )

Cheers,

Andrew

When I see this post, all I can say is " Beware of Groupthink."

Amen,sir. Having just seen the clip I will say this. Tony may be the CLEANEST of the Gospel Chops style of drumming. Much more articulate and very decisive sounding than any other I've heard. Secondly (and I am NOT a DW fan at all), that is THE best sounding DW kit I've ever heard on video,live and played by others, or played by me.Seriously.

Not sure if this is new but it's beyond description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebuy0Rm5PlQ

Normally I think he goes into tasteless chops-fests for crowd pleasing's sake but GODDAMN this is the complete opposite of that... This is truly amazing. Thank you, I really like Royster and his style but think he overplays a lot of the time. This is an example of how to put all that raw talent and those ideas to damn good use.

I agree!
Stunning. Both impressive and expressive. Musical.

Man, Arky it was all good but to me the last 30 seconds were just amazing. Just once to see like how it feels to be able to do that.

I have recently discovered the greatness of Tony Royster Jr. He is by far 1 of the greatest drummers alive right now. I wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts are about Tony and if you guys think he's as good as I think he is.

Oh yeah, he's unreal. I'm a better drummer just for watching him play. I've heard people complain that he overplays, I say nonsense. Sure, if he's doing a clinic or showcase of some sort, which he does a lot of, then of course he's going to let fly! Damn the torpedoes!

He's easily one of my favorites. Pretty underrated considering how good he is. I'm usually the one that brings him up if I'm discussing drummers with my drummer friends or if people just want to see/hear a great drummer. His technique is flawless. He was asked what "technique" he uses for his amazing bass drum work and he didn't have a definitive answer other than saying he plays "the weight of the pedal".

I use many of his warmup techniques/exercises.

Back