Throne question

I have the Roc N' Soc hydraulic, tractor-style throne, and it is great. It's a bit pricey, but as my late, great brother told me, when I was purchasing my first drum throne in 1986 ... "Steve, you gotta take care a yer ass".

Last edited:
Hello,

height: 1.70 m
weight: roundabout (a little bit more than) 100 kg.

Throne in rehearsal romm: Pearl D-70W. Yes. 12" round.

Ok, my belly is the heavy thing, my bottom medium sized.

But: just go to your local dealer and take a seat. Your bottom is not mine.

Cheerio
Juergen

Roc'n'Soc seat with a base that has a lock on it and you'ree golden.

I have a roc-n-soc with the spindle base that I have had for about 15 years. It still is the most comfortable throne I have. It has starting making a lot of creaking sounds in it's old age, sort of like my knees. I bought the Drum Workshop 5000 series throne. It's sturdy, but after about an hour my back is killing me. I used it at one gig and by the end of the night I almost couldn't play because my back hurt so bad. It now stays in my practice room since I rarely get the chance to practice more than an hour anyway. I then bought a roc-n-soc with the hydrolic base. I like the fact that it spins but I have a problem with it also. I'm 285 pounds. I did not read on the manufactures website that it is only rated for 250 pounds. Every half hour or so, I have to raise it up a little bit because it sinks. I've been using it but I'm thinking of buying another roc-n-soc spindle base. I might try their round seat though. The problem with buying a throne is that you can't sit on it for hours at a time in the store to really try it out.

Round, not too big in diameter, light.

Reasons:
The grooves they put into saddle shaped seats nowadays can be a bit annoying.
If it's very big in diameter you can feel a bit lost in it.
Get something light because playing metal takes a lot of energy, don't waste it on lugging heavy gear around.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/big-dog-f002-mid-size-round-throne/30152

This and if the round seat is too large in diameter, it actually cuts off circulation under my legs. I don't notice it until it's basically too late. When I'm looking for new drum thrones, I don't usually sit on one for the 20 or 25 minutes it takes for things to go awry.

Dennis

Back