Sonor Giant Step Kick Pedals

I own a Sonor Giant Step single pedal. I bought it slightly used(pretty much brand new) from someone on the Sonor Forum for $150.00 including shipping. I have played Axis, Iron cobra, DW and I think the Sonor has feel that is a cross between the DW 9000 and a Axis pedal. The Iron Cobra alway felt a bit sluggish but I don't really have a fast foot. I love the docking station, to me that is one of the coolest things about the pedal. Similar to all high end Sonor stuff the construction is bomb proof. When I bought the pedal I was thinking of getting a Taye Metal Works or DW pedal but then I came across the Giant Step for $150.00 and couldn't pass it up. Hope this helps!

J.

Hi, I have the lefty version of the double-bass drum pedal, the Giant Step. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but the pedals feel lethargic. I've adjusted the spring tension and I have also adjusted the cam position. Is there anything else I am missing here? I am using the chain to drive the cam and the stock beaters.
The beaters are positioned so they strike the bass drum head parallel. The drum head is seated with a dimpling amount of slack and a moving blanket folded twice behind the head.

I like these pedals, and I've owned them for almost 2 years- and it always seems like i've had this problem no matter what I try. They certainly have a great amount of heft and have given me no mechanical issues.

I've cranked the spring tension all the way up and when trying to do single-footed doubles, it's more difficult than the Iron Cobras or the speed-kings I've used in the past.

I have always been interested in using a direct-drive system similar to that of Ludwig and Axis, so I think I'm going to take a single axis pedal for a test drive before paying the left-footed exclusive double-pedal tax(eek!).

- Brian

They're heavy feeling pedals, its the cam and foot board that make this pedal feel slow and weighty. The beater is one of the lightest available.

Switching to strap will help a little. The plus is these pedals hit hard, though you do need a pro-level developed foot to even make them work at, or just above zero.

Hey, the twin effect looks really cool, i wouldnt mind trying it, but I cannot seem to find it for sale anywhere.You guys know where I can find this thing?

Thats funny, I just posted the same thing, I also are looking for one but no luck yet.

I use the double pedal...have for about 1.5 years now. Very light feel, but produces a heavy hit. I also love the docking station, no hoop rash, easy setup and teardown. I have been toying with the idea of Axis longboards...but cant find a set locally to play.

F

5,500 dollars? C'mon. Thats gotto be a typo or something, nobody would buy it. i dont care how smooth or fast it is.

Does anyone else make a cheaper version of the 'middle' pedal? It looks like it would be nice to play on but I don't wanna spend that much on a pedal :[

It'd be cool if Yamaha made one, cause I'm pretty sure they'd be able to sell it pretty cheap, as apposed to these expensive European companies :/

Iv'e been wanting to play one these, but they are so expensive..does anybody know whats the most similar pedal to this? I just cant play close to $1000 for a double bass pedal

I've never seen such a gap between the 2nd rack and 1st floor tom.
Good observation. Seems excessive here, but I know from seeing his DW set up video on his channel that it's not that wide of a gap.

Thomas Lang sure loved them...
I am proud to meet Thomas at the Sonor show room for a photo session some years ago in Aue. A really smart guy and fantastic drummer!
He was the Giant Step master! Nobody else I know could handle this sophisticated pedals like him!
Too bad he switched to DW.
E2206C62-DFA5-44BF-8926-8FD09BE8EA6B.jpeg
B7FF1092-137A-4C2E-8300-B919D8CBF135.jpeg
4D4CBD8B-AA13-4327-9873-B4D72FFF70EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back