Brush Technique

Defender

Silver Member
Good day all,

I have recently decided to purchase some brushes and learn about them and how to play them. I have watched 2 videos so far. 1 was the Drumeo video with Peter Erskine and the other was the Drumeo video with Jason Sutter. While I get a lot out of both videos, I felt Jason did a better job breaking down his technique into a learning lesson.

My big question is, are there any other quality training videos the brush players out there would recommend to me? I want to just absorb all this brush stuff up and practice, practice, practice.

Peace, Defender

There are many, but I would recommend Florian Alexandru-Zorn's book/DVD. I believe you can check him out in a full-length Drumeo session on Youtube.

1. Listen to lots of records with brushes on them. Also watch videos.

2. Purchase Florian Alexandru-Zorn's book.

3. Purchase The Art of Playing Brushes by Hudson Music.

4. Purchase Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials 2.0. It has a brushes lesson.

5. Purchase Mastering the Art of Brushes

6. Join my group that has only me as a member and no discussions http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/group.php?groupid=138

Ed Soph has a great series of video lessons!

Well it's a treacherous path you seek-lots of quicksand. I'd quickly find a technique that works for you then listen to a whole bunch of brush masters-there's a ton of them. Watching them is the quicksand cause they all differ to some degree so you sensory overload from to many influences technique wise-least that was my experience. Ed Thigpen, Joe Morello, Adam Nussbaum, Peter Erskine, Shelly Manne, Jake Hanna, Lewis Nash, Kenny Washington, Jeff Hamilton, etc, etc, etc. Once you get that snare then the harder part making brushes sound worth a crap on cymbals LOL.

I really enjoyed the Clayton Cameron book.

Philly Joe Jones' Brush Artistry and Ed Thingpen's DVD are both good.

Also, just check out great brush players. Kenny Washington and Jeff Hamilton are two current players that come to mind of whom you should be able to find plenty of recordings and videos.

There are many, but I would recommend Florian Alexandru-Zorn's book/DVD. I believe you can check him out in a full-length Drumeo session on Youtube.
Definitely. I saw him at a clinic here and he is fantastic. Nothing he does not know about brushes. He was even doing blast beats, and doing them perfectly. Great technique.

Attachments

• Florian Alexandru-Zorn.JPG
    Florian Alexandru-Zorn.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 3
Back