Kick Drum Miking Question

I've got the same kick mic and setup except I don't own a Shu yet and I use a SKII batter/Regulator'd Drumart head. If you have time can you post a pic or two to me how the Shu mount is setup and how the cord for the mic gets plugged in?

I use a similar setup. Will post pics when I get home. I installed and XLR jack in the shell, but you can run the cord through a port or the vent hole.

I'm curious about this method too. That's what I used to do years ago, but haven't mic'd for a while. Anyone using batter side only mic?

It's the way I go by default when I mic my own drums. Sound guys will usually mic the reso head, even though there's no port. It makes sense to me -- I would never mic a tom on the reso side.

I've got the same kick mic and setup except I don't own a Shu yet and I use a SKII batter/Regulator'd Drumart head. If you have time can you post a pic or two to me how the Shu mount is setup and how the cord for the mic gets plugged in?

This is my basic setup. If you don't want to drill the shell for the XLR jack, you can use a ported reso and run the cord in that way, or you cut the end off a cord, thread it through the vent hole, then re-solder the connector in place. I used that method for a few years before I installed that jack. It worked great, but you had to mind the cord when putting the drum into/out of cases. The jack makes life amazingly simple. Perfect live setup, IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_3180 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_3180 (640x427).jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3182 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_3182 (640x427).jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3183 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_3183 (640x427).jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3185 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_3185 (640x427).jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 118
It's the way I go by default when I mic my own drums. Sound guys will usually mic the reso head, even though there's no port. It makes sense to me -- I would never mic a tom on the reso side.

I have been micing the batter side for years; always had good results. There were initial concerns about picking up possible noise from the pedal but I have never noticed any.

This is my basic setup. If you don't want to drill the shell for the XLR jack, you can use a ported reso and run the cord in that way, or you cut the end off a cord, thread it through the vent hole, then re-solder the connector in place. I used that method for a few years before I installed that jack. It worked great, but you had to mind the cord when putting the drum into/out of cases. The jack makes life amazingly simple. Perfect live setup, IMO.

This will be my eventual setup when I can afford to do so. Kinda takes the sound man getting pissed when you show up for a gig with a full front head thing out of the equation.

This will be my eventual setup when I can afford to do so. Kinda takes the sound man getting pissed when you show up for a gig with a full front head thing out of the equation.

Yeah, I've played some of the bigger venues in Spokane (nearest city-ish area, lol) and the sound guys give you a sideways look when you show up unported. Show 'em the jack, ask to plug you in and give it a try, and there has never been a problem. Even the adamant port guys have been satisfied.

99% of the time we ran our own sound, and it just made life super easy there, too.

Yeah, I've played some of the bigger venues in Spokane (nearest city-ish area, lol) and the sound guys give you a sideways look when you show up unported. Show 'em the jack, ask to plug you in and give it a try, and there has never been a problem. Even the adamant port guys have been satisfied.

99% of the time we ran our own sound, and it just made life super easy there, too.

Do you find you get enough attack with the Shue mounted close to the reso? I was wondering about that and maybe considering a May for the front to back adjustability, but the May is a lot more expensive.

Do you find you get enough attack with the Shue mounted close to the reso? I was wondering about that and maybe considering a May for the front to back adjustability, but the May is a lot more expensive.

Yes, I've been able to get enough attack. The Shu has a couple inches of front to back adjustability, and you can mount it to the reso or batter side lug screws. So, there is a fair amount of flexibility in placement, though it certainly isn't infinite.

I've had opportunities to hear my kit FOH and the kick is exactly what I hope for.

EDIT - this was recorded on a cheap old handycam and the sound isn't fantastic, but this will give you an idea of how the Shu setup sounds live.
https://youtu.be/W5pYySRbFaE

You're in SPOKANE!? So am I! Who are you? Maybe you'd like to try one of my pedals! Right now I play in YESTERDAYSCAKE. We just played Curley's!

You're in SPOKANE!? So am I! Who are you? Maybe you'd like to try one of my pedals! Right now I play in YESTERDAYSCAKE. We just played Curley's!

Well, I just saw you play then! Just didn't know it was you. Lol Nice playing!

Back