Tommy Lee

i saw motley crue this summer and tommy lee diddn't miss a beat in facti think he held the band together he plays just a little bit on top of the beat and it creates a cool tention. his drum solo (though i would only call it that because he was playing by himself) left much to be desired. i think in terms of playing solid hard rock drums tommy's great. did you know tommy played drums on most of rob zombie's solo stuff.

Man...its a shame that alot of people here are so judgmental. Its almost like highschool. It appears that its not cool to like Tommy Lee...or Motley Crue for that matter and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon. Probably 1/2 of the people in here were not alive in the Crue's peak years so they never saw his contribution to rock drumming and never had the privilege to witness. But....infact....he is on the top 3 of my favorite drummers and Motley Crue is one of the greatest rock bands to ever walk the earth. To all the people that say that he isn't that good.........lets see you play a simple 4/4 while spinning upside down in a drum cage...let alone do a solo in the midst. When you do that...then you can say he sucks. Granted...he doesn't do alot of fancy stuff in his songs with the Crue...but that man is a rock beat master!! He plays what fits Motley Crues sound! He is there for the music and is not always trying to dominate the songs with fancy fills and technique. Has anyone ever watched him play alone...probably not! I have seen video of him just messing around on his set...and I can't even begin to describe what I saw. I have been playing 24 years....and Tommy Lee does crap on a set that I haven't even seen or thought of yet. People probably have no idea about his double-bass technique or any of his playing for that matter. Just becuase you heard a couple Motley Crue songs and didn't like it....doesn't mean that you heard Tommy Lee the drummer. Go and see him play live....he is on tour right now with Motley Crue! And...uhhhh....its been over 24 years and these guys are still selling out arenas more than the Rolling Stones. Lets see "Blink 182" or "Lamb of God" or any band that is out these days do that 24 years from now!!! After 24 years...your opinon might have some stability.

I agree with NaturalRaz. Is Tommy the most technically proficient? Probably not, but Motley's music doesn't really lend itself to that type of playing. That said, most of Tommy's licks on the Motley records are heavy, in-the-pocket type grooves that are perfect for the song. Stick a Mike Portnoy or someone of that caliber behind the kit on a Motley song and you're not going to get the unique feel Tommy's playing has. I think his best playing is done on the '94 album with John Corabi (songs like Hooligan's Holiday and
Misunderstood are super challenging to play and worth a listen). It's a shame his personal life overshadows his playing. I guess that's what you get for marrying Pam Anderson. Is he the best rock drummer out there? Obviously not. However, I'd argue he's one of the better rock drummers of our time and he's perfect for the Crue. Anyway, my two cents are in.

NaturalRaz said:
Man...its a shame that alot of people here are so judgmental. Its almost like highschool. It appears that its not cool to like Tommy Lee...or Motley Crue for that matter and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon. Probably 1/2 of the people in here were not alive in the Crue's peak years so they never saw his contribution to rock drumming and never had the privilege to witness. But....infact....he is on the top 3 of my favorite drummers and Motley Crue is one of the greatest rock bands to ever walk the earth. To all the people that say that he isn't that good.........lets see you play a simple 4/4 while spinning upside down in a drum cage...let alone do a solo in the midst. When you do that...then you can say he sucks. Granted...he doesn't do alot of fancy stuff in his songs with the Crue...but that man is a rock beat master!! He plays what fits Motley Crues sound! He is there for the music and is not always trying to dominate the songs with fancy fills and technique. Has anyone ever watched him play alone...probably not! I have seen video of him just messing around on his set...and I can't even begin to describe what I saw. I have been playing 24 years....and Tommy Lee does crap on a set that I haven't even seen or thought of yet. People probably have no idea about his double-bass technique or any of his playing for that matter. Just becuase you heard a couple Motley Crue songs and didn't like it....doesn't mean that you heard Tommy Lee the drummer. Go and see him play live....he is on tour right now with Motley Crue! And...uhhhh....its been over 24 years and these guys are still selling out arenas more than the Rolling Stones. Lets see "Blink 182" or "Lamb of God" or any band that is out these days do that 24 years from now!!! After 24 years...your opinon might have some stability.

I enjoy Tommy Lee as a public figure. He's lead an interesting life and he's probably one of the nicest people I've ever met. My friend and I ran into him at a Planet Hollywood in LA last summer and he was super nice and down to earth. He talked drums with us and gave us each a pair of Ahead sticks which I still have on my wall. Having said that...I think he was great in Motley Crue..he played for their songs and you can't really expect more from a guy. I don't think, however, that's he's anywhere near the technical level of a lot of drummers out there but he'll be the first guy to admit it. He's a decent player in a cool band that got lucky and has made a great life of it.

As for spinning in a cage, I'm not sure that's really the measure of a great drummer by any means...give most drummers a big rotating platform and they could more than likely play. It's not like the guy is moving it with his mind/pure drumming ability. Also....most of us aren't comparing him and the Crue (at least I'm not) to guys like Travis from Blink or whoever from "Lamb of God". Personally, I'm comparing to guys that have already been playing for 24 years...guys like Weckl and Colaiuta, and in THAT respect he doesn't stack up. But like I said...I enjoy a good rock beat from a fun and flashy drummer any day of the week.

I'm not going to bash a guy for playing the best he can for as long as he has with that much passion and humility. Rock on Tommy.

NPK said:
I think his best playing is done on the '94 album with John Corabi (songs like Hooligan's Holiday and
Misunderstood are super challenging to play and worth a listen).

Very good point! He really showed a different style to his drumming. Quite a bit more technical and rough sounding.

And...NouveauCliche....I do agree that the drum-cage s not a way to measure a drummer skills. It is a tribute to how awsome of a showman he is and how he thinks...which is something to say about the type of drummer he is.

Wether or not people want to admit it....Tommy Lee has had a larger influence than most on rock drumming. When I mention Blink 182 and Lamb Of God...I should have been more clear in my statement by saying.......I have seen T.L.'s name appear on threads with these guys in a comparing battle. Not just T.L., but alot of drummers. And....you can try to compare them....but its not going to go anywhere...cuz you could never settle that debate becuase they are totally different styles, and its opinons that flare on questions of comparisson.

All in all......I think the best drummer on the planet...is the one "who is having the most fun and has the largest smile on his face."

OK, Here's another point of view. I'm almost 50 years old. By the time Motley Crue hit, I was what in my thirties. Did I spell their name right? I dunno. I hardly know any of their songs. Let's see "Girls Girls Girls", and didn't they cover "Smokin' In The Boys Room" and "We're Not Going To take it? , no that was Quiet Riot, I think. As for Tommy, I like his drumming. I've seen and heard him on MTV. Last year sometime Direct TV ran a Crue concert but Tommy was missing. They had that beautiful girl Samantha playing pink sparkle Sonors. She was delightful but she was not filling Tommy's shoes. I like Roxy better, she's hot. I have to admit that I watched "Tommy Lee Goes To College" too. Well as a TV show, it was pretty funny and way better then the Tommy & Pam video...jeez. I never had Band in High School. We were so poor we didn't even have a football team. So I never got the advantage of being in marching band. Tommy seemed like he did. He strapped on those five drums and after a day of being a little rusty, he was playing as tight as the rest of the drumline. It seemed to me anyway. I think he's a pretty good drummer and he thinks young which I think more of us older guys should do. Now where the hell is my custom set of Tommy Lee DWs I was supposed to win? Did anybody actually win that kit or what? Matt

Drummer_Boy said:
Well yes from what I heard. Although, his bass drum doesn't sound like it has anything inside of there. Sounds almost like a rally really low tom-tom. He might've just played that instead.

the pattern he plays also sounds nothing like hot for teacher.

NaturalRaz said:

RIGHT ON NATURALRAZ!!!!!

cjl71178 said:
RIGHT ON NATURALRAZ!!!!!

I just get so tired of everyone saying that he sucks, or that he isn't good, or that he is mediocre....but never comming to the table with solid facts about thier so-called opinon. Especially when they have never truly heard or seen him play. Like I said...I think most of it is a bandwagon deal. Its seems to cool to bash him and his lifestyle! Heck, thats what happens when someone is as huge as he is. Kinda like that highschool way of thinking. I have looked at the "ages of most" of the people making the negative comments and they are in thier low 20's or teens. Also they are growing up with a diffent era of drummers too and that has alot to do with taste. If they think that he isn't very good or just medioce.....why aren't they on tour selling out arenas or amphitheaters with thier band? And don't say to me that you got bills to pay, or you don't have the time to practice, or its a fad, or that your band hasn't been found yet, or the music industry isn't ready......just simply say...that you and your band are not that good and Tommy Lee and his band are. "Welcome to the world of Motley Crue." 24 years...and still selling out arenas. Why don't you go and see why they are.....you will come back with a different opinon. Make your dreams come true instead of bashing those that have!

NaturalRaz said:
I just get so tired of everyone saying that he sucks, or that he isn't good, or that he is mediocre....but never comming to the table with solid facts about thier so-called opinon. Especially when they have never truly heard or seen him play. Like I said...I think most of it is a bandwagon deal. Its seems to cool to bash him and his lifestyle! Heck, thats what happens when someone is as huge as he is. Kinda like that highschool way of thinking. I have looked at the "ages of most" of the people making the negative comments and they are in thier low 20's or teens. Also they are growing up with a diffent era of drummers too and that has alot to do with taste. If they think that he isn't very good or just medioce.....why aren't they on tour selling out arenas or amphitheaters with thier band? And don't say to me that its a fad, or that thier band hasn't been found yet, or the music industry isn't ready......just simply say...that you and your band are not that good and Tommy Lee and his band are. "Welcome to the world of Motley Crue." 24 years...and still selling out arenas. Why don't you go and see why they are.....you will come back with a different opinon.

I couldn't agree with you more. It gets me how one can go bash someone like TL, especially ones who were in diapers when Motley Crue was in their prime! I've replied before to this thread...in regards to him selling millions of albums and shows.

There are a few drummers that I could care less for, but I'm not going to bash them and say they suck or that they're horrible just because I don't like them. I guess that's just me.

Tommy Lee was a HUGE influence on me growing up and I KNOW that I'm not the only one. He might not have been the world's most technical drummer, but he did what he did best with the Crue and is such a great performer and showman.

That's my opinion (and like I said about him being an influence, I'm not the only one).

Mediocre drummer?

I was just listening to the Dr. Feelgood album, Ok.

And - not only does Tommy incorporate some R&B inflected hi-hat openings on the down beat, but also on the upbeat within the context of a syncopated, funky bass drum pattern -- Meanwhile - this is with a heavy metal band. That's tasty.

And, he was doing a lot of syncopated fills on the cymbals.

Look - the guy is either overrated or underrated, just like Alex Van Halen. I'm not over-rating him, just saying he's a very good rock drummer.

It doesn't matter, IT IS ALL OPINION. And the one thing I noticed here is that not a single person can say something negative about a drummer. One comment that's negative and it's instantly branded "bashing". Do I say you're "kissing a**" when you remark positively about a drummer and praise his name?? NO. If i dislike a drummer, his style, grooves, technique, solos, face, whatever I should be able to say that.

I've made sensible and defined negative comments about a drummers ONE SOLO video and I was threatened in so many words to stop insulting members and pro drummers alike or else..... I never said "I think that drummer sucks big time", I just didn't like one solo I've seen. I'm allowed to dislike it and talk about it. Someone doesn't like your favorite drummer? GET OVER IT. You think I have to say something every time a person says "Peter Criss sucks"? Not at all because I could care, I know he was good for the band.

It doesn't matter what age you are....you can dislike a drummer. I don't care if you were a fetus when a band had their biggest hit...you can dislike a drummer. Just because you were an old man or infant or saw them live 10 times doesn't mean anything because it's still that person's opinion. If someone makes a credible argument and God forbid you disagree, you can respond with someone other than "I'm so sick of people bashing!" or "He was such a HUGE influence on my playing!", etc. Another member may not feel that way so once again...get over it - they don't agree.

It's ok to say "Right on!" or "Amen!" but saying something like "I don't care for his playing at all, he's very mediocre" is grounds to jump down someone's throat? I didn't join this forum to hold hands with everyone and tongue b*** of every drummer listed on the page. It's good to see educated arguments taking place here. I've read some most interesting posts here describing why people do or do not like a certain drummer, and of course the ones who don't agree get chastised. That is wrong. It's called criticism people and it's a normal part of everyday life.

I happen to like Tommy Lee but I've also agreed with things said in the "negative" and "positive" posts alike. That should tell you something....

Last edited by a moderator:
Milo said:
It doesn't matter, IT IS ALL OPINION. And the one thing I noticed here is that not a single person can say something negative about a drummer.

Bingo....if you look at all my threads....I will never criticize a drummer. Who am I to criticize them? Sure, I am a human being and entitled to the right of opinon................but thats B.S. If I had any leg to stand on when it comes to judging or criticizing a drummer my face and name would be on the front page of DrummerWorld. I always like to play the devils-advocate and stick up for the underdog..........especially when it comes to people like Tommy Lee.

I still stick by what I originally said....................."If you think a proven professional drummer is mediocre or sucks..........why isnt' your name and face on the front page of DrummerWorld?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Milo said:
It doesn't matter, IT IS ALL OPINION. And the one thing I noticed here is that not a single person can say something negative about a drummer. One comment that's negative and it's instantly branded "bashing". Do I say you're "kissing a**" when you remark positively about a drummer and praise his name?? NO. If i dislike a drummer, his style, grooves, technique, solos, face, whatever I should be able to say that. . . .

. . . I've made sensible and defined negative comments about a drummers ONE SOLO video and I was threatened in so many words to stop insulting members and pro drummers alike or else..... I never said "I think that drummer sucks big time", I just didn't like one solo I've seen. I'm allowed to dislike it and talk about it. Someone doesn't like your favorite drummer? GET OVER IT. You think I have to say something every time a person says "Peter Criss sucks"? Not at all because I could care, I know he was good for the band. . . .

. . . It's ok to say "Right on!" or "Amen!" but saying something like "I don't care for his playing at all, he's very mediocre" is grounds to jump down someone's throat? I didn't join this forum to hold hands with everyone and tongue b*** of every drummer listed on the page. . . .

. . . I've read some most interesting posts here describing why people do or do not like a certain drummer, and of course the ones who don't agree get chastised. That is wrong. It's called criticism people and it's a normal part of everyday life.
Milo, I deliberately quoted the parts of your post that I would like to respond to.

First of all, it does matter what you say here. Yes, it's all opinion, but the fact is there are some opinions that we really don't want to hear on this forum. Sorry if anyone has a problem with that, but that's the way it is. The rules are spelled out quite clearly. If you wish to state your opinion and it breaks the rules, you aren't chastised for stating your opinion; rather you are chastised for breaking the rules. Can you see the difference?

When you stated your opinions about the one solo that you didn't like, you were using words like "silly" and "pretentious" to describe the drummer. Maybe you don't feel like that is bashing, but I do. Not to argue with you but simply to try to explain. You say "I'm allowed to dislike it and talk about it." I would agree that you are allowed to dislike it, but no, you are not allowed to talk about if the talking becomes bashing, at least not here.

Of course you don't have to respond every time someone says, "Peter Criss sucks!" That's my job. I will let them know that language like that is inappropriate and unwelcome here, and I'll edit or delete their post, and if they argue or continue then I'll ban them.

Like you, I also didn't join this forum to hold hands with everyone here, but it's sad that you see stating admiration for a drummer as a "b*** tongue," and it's sad that as an adult you can't find a more appropriate way of stating that thought. We have members here as young as nine years old, and we ask that you use language that is appropriate for all ages. Adults generally have a large enough vocabulary that they aren't hampered by that rule. Hopefully you'll find a way to work within it as well.

Yes, criticism is a normal part of everyday life, but so is following the rules. When someone invites you into their home, do you argue about their rules and insist on doing what you consider to be normal? Bernard has invited you into his "home" and asked you to follow some simple rules.

Yet another rule that you have seem to have missed here is keeping a thread on topic. This thread is in the Drummer topic, and it is specifically about Tommy Lee, and yet here you are discussing how you feel about the moderating on this forum. If you wish to have a conversation about a new topic, please go to the place where that topic is best discussed and start a new thread there.

None of this is intended as an argument. I only posted this because you seem to be confused about some basic issues here. I hope this helps.

couldn't help but put in my 2 pence :D .....

before criticizing a drummer please try NOT to forget that what he plays in a band or for that matter on stage is 1/4th of what he can actually do when he is alone or in a studio with the needed ambience, peace and time ...

and also one more thing .... in such big venues and the type of music that Motley Crue played ..... simplicity and straight ahead beat is what suits best ... delicate work would go unobserved and would not put in that PUNCH in the chest of 1000 people who are jumping around you ........ (personally thats why i don't like stadium music )

So, i guess seeing his achivements one should give him his well earned benifit of doubt and respect ..

and now My personal taste:

I haven't heard much of his drumming and the ones which i heard does not put him amongst my favourite drummer ....

To some members here:

When you criticized/voiced your opinion about a government policy does it really make sense if someone says that "You should become the President of the country and then would have the right to criticize " or something in that line ?? .......

One need not have to be on the front page of drummerworld or for that matter even a good drummer to say what he likes or dislikes ..... (but offcourse in the socially acceptable way)
A musician not only plays music for himself but also for the normal public to hear so he should value their opinion ......

LiquidSoul546 said:
Ignorance? I don't think you understand people dude. Just because he sells out arenas to people that think hitting hard, and having a big drumset, n' flippin a couple of sticks is amazing drummer, than sure, I can see him being so great. But the fact of the matter is his drumming is VERY mediocre. His career has been based on showmanship, and i have yet to hear a good groove for him to play. He's just one lucky guy, who to me... plays drums for all the wrong reasons.
peace

LOL....that is one of the greatest things I have ever heard. I'll just ask you this........How you do you know that he plays drums for all the wrong reasons? Did he tell you this? Do you know him or his friends? How you do know that he doesn't have a love for drumming?

Your opinion is your opinon...but Im sure that anyone with common sense knows that the things you just said are very out of context. You don't know him...so you can't say those things with any type of stability.

Oh......also, if he is so mediocre....what is it that you do and he doesn't to allow you to feel that you have a solidified and educated opinon on his playing? Post your playing for us! Let us see how good you are. In a sense...you are saying that you can play better than him. Show us!

Last edited:
NaturalRaz said:
LOL....that is one of the greatest things I have ever heard. I'll just ask you this........How you do you know that he plays drums for all the wrong reasons? Did he tell you this? Do you know him or his friends? How you do know that he doesn't have a love for drumming?

Your opinion is your opinon...but Im sure that anyone with common sense knows that the things you just said are very out of context. You don't know him...so you can't say those things with any type of stability.

Oh......also, if he is so mediocre....what is it that you do and he doesn't to allow you to feel that you have a solidified and educated opinon on his playing? Post your playing for us! Let us see how good you are. In a sense...you are saying that you can play better than him. Show us!

Raz, buddy...stop taking this thread so personally. You're ALL over it as if you were being attacked or they were saying that they didn't like your playing. So some people don't like how he plays, that's their opinion, and it's their right to have it. Once you start saying stuff like "Post YOUR playing!" then you're going to get into the realm of personally attacking THEM...and that's not what this forum is about.

NaturalRaz said:

Alright, there is your opinion, and may i quote myself.."and TO ME....plays the drums for all the wrong resons." Look if you wanna question my drum education, that's wack, I've been drumming for 7 years, since i was 9, and not just chillin at home playin, i mean taking lessons, studying music theory in grade school and now in highschool. I'm not saying I am an almighty professor, and all i say is right, I'm just saying I don't like his drum style, his life style, or his attitude twoards that matter. So, is it absolutly wrong for me to say that i dont' like tommy? Nope, and tell you the truth, I personally would rather see most of the drummers on this site play a set, than that guy.
peace
ps. How is my statement out of context. What do you see him do during shows? Has a rediculus sized bass drum for show, flips his sticks, and uses sparklers for a solo, I will never put that under the context of a great drummer in my book. He hasn't done a thing to impress me, and probably never will. So that's my opinion...

NouveauCliche said:
Raz, buddy...stop taking this thread so personally. You're ALL over it as if you were being attacked or they were saying that they didn't like your playing. So some people don't like how he plays, that's their opinion, and it's their right to have it. Once you start saying stuff like "Post YOUR playing!" then you're going to get into the realm of personally attacking THEM...and that's not what this forum is about.

I don't take it personally. If it does come off that way....I don't know what to say. I just like to play the devils-advocate as I have stated before. I do understand what you are getting at though. Thanks Nouveau!!!

Back