Mitch Mitchell

Re: R.I.P.: Mitch Mitchell

Oh Sh&% what a bummer! I was just casually skimming the topics and came across this news. I real loss indeed. I was just watching the "Dirty Mac" a couple days ago and so getting into it.

This bites...I'm depressed. :(

Yes, an EXTREME bummer to see this thread here today. Rest in Peace, indeed, Mitch. You've inspired and influenced so many of us, and your music is still as awesome as it ever was.

Like so many of you have written before me, Mitch Mitchell was one of my biggest influences as a young drummer. "Fire" was one of the first songs I ever tried to play the very first time I got my own set. He has always been one of my all-time favorites. It's so fricking sad to see all my musical heros checking out so often these days. Guess some of us are getting old...

I used to have the two Ramatam records. Can't remember what they were like, but I remember I was disappointed at the time. I ended up selling them long ago, but I've been thinking about them recently and wanting to hear them again.

When it comes to the Buddy Miles/Mitch Mitchell question, I love the Band of Gypsys stuff, but I think I will always prefer Mitch with Hendrix. Just the way those two would be flying all over, weaving in and out with each other, complementing each other, while Noel Redding held everything grounded. That was really magic, to me. Whereas BOG is more funky, more driving in a great way, but just not that same magic.

So rest in peace all of you, Mitch, Buddy, Jimi. And thanks for the music.

Manic Depression. Man, when I heard that I felt that I'd found the holy grail or something. I set about learning that song, learning and copying everything Mitchell played on it.
I'd never heard a rock song in 3/4 time, definitely not done like that, and to this day it's one of my favorite grooves. At the time it was completely new and today it's still very unique. It's the one song I was hoping Hendrix would play when I saw him, but alas, he didn't.
What a rollicking drum part Mitchell plays on that. Quite unlike anything I'd heard before.
Ding-a-ding-a-digadoo-ding-a-ding-a-digadoo! Pretty innovative stuff for the time, and pure drumming joy.
Ooh... good call, Jay! The typical tendency would be to play like a slow waltz or some kind of shuffle but Mitch does it all while maintaining the rock feel.

Let us remember Mitch's pictures on action.....

Attachments

• mitchmitchell1.jpg
    mitchmitchell1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3,281
  • mitchmitchell11.jpg
    mitchmitchell11.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,387
  • mitchmitchell.jpg
    mitchmitchell.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 4,067
Hi all, I'm new here. I felt stunned when I heard of Mitch's passing. There must be some wicked jamming going on now in Music Heaven with the band reunited. I had the privlege to see Jimi perform in Montreal back in 1968. Being a young drummer at the time I was watching Mitch rather closely. Man, when the band played Manic Depression his hands were just a blur on his rolls. He was a "Stick Man" for sure. I feel that he and the late Mick Waller were two of the best with that style of rock drumming. It's hard when these musicians pass on but, thank God their efforts are now on remastered disc. Peace all.

Mitch Mitchell is seriously underrated.

Seriously, I love his work in Manic Depression on Are you Experienced.

And he was hot.

My first band was a 3 piece and we did hendrix stuff.To say that mitch was my biggest influence is a understatment.The guy was unreal....... The wind cries Mary, Classic Drumming from one of the all time greats............

His feel for the song was remarkable. He was the perfect compliment to Jimi's guitar playing.

As far as a comparing him to Buddy Miles i think they were polar opposites and thats what Jimi wanted. He was going in a different direction with Band of gypys.

Can't wait to hear the new tracks...Valley's of Neptune sounds amazing

Good one, Bernhard ... a bunch of legends (looking very youthful!) getting together for a jam, all very loose and casual.

Mitch's work with Jimi will always be huge for me.

Hi Polly

Is it's YOU moving around the amplifiers - or is this lovely Yoko Ono?? Just wondering....not sure

I remember trying to play along with 'Fire' when I started playing...ending in failure.

When I first really started to find my own way into music and eventually playing, when I was 15, John Bonham was the reason I picked drums. But as I really listened to Jimi from a drummer's perspective, Mitch Mitchell is still the guy I idolize and use to inspire my own style. Mitch is my favorite drummer and I'm not sure that will ever change. He totally change my style and mindset behind a kit.

Hi Polly

Is it's YOU moving around the amplifiers - or is this lovely Yoko Ono?? Just wondering....not sure

Hi Bernhard - sorry, I missed this post.

Haha - I'm not sure what Yoko is doing in that vid. My guess is she was trying trying to physically represent the self-negation inherent in the song. Either that or she was just really, really embarrassed :)

When I first really started to find my own way into music and eventually playing, when I was 15, John Bonham was the reason I picked drums. But as I really listened to Jimi from a drummer's perspective, Mitch Mitchell is still the guy I idolize and use to inspire my own style. Mitch is my favorite drummer and I'm not sure that will ever change. He totally change my style and mindset behind a kit.

Donald, that is the exact same way I came to drum. It all started with Bonham then Mitch, Ginger Baker, John Densmore. Then around the time Mitch died I got into what his influences were - being Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Philly Joe etc -.
There was also a short period of time were I was so into Mitch that everything I played, wether in jams or by myself, was in Mitch's style. You know the fast single stroke fills and stuff like that. It was actually so frustrating!

I have been hooked on Mitchell lately. I remember playing along with "Fire" when I was a young teenager. I play big drums (26/14/16/18) and have them cranked just like his were. I've been really working on more jazz-type playing (double stroke rolls, more sensitive playing) and having the tight tension on the heads really helps.

I love Mitchell's playing, the sound of his drums and his attitude behind the kit.

Does anyone have an opinion on how he starts "Manic Depression"? I've always thought it was a super-fast single stroke roll but the other day my wife and I were listening to it and it suddenly sounded more like a combination of double stroke hits.

Last edited:
Mitch M. - was the role model of Roger Taylor (Queen, drummer) on the beginning of his career with the band.

Bump,

Just came in here to say: Favorite drummer all time!

To me, it sounded like he was having fun, and doing what he wanted.

Back