Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin,

I will be in Manchester and then Scotland for a weeks vacation in July....any recommendations on things that need to been seen/visited?

Florian

Hey Gavin, there's something that intrigues me.
I Iike Porcupine Tree's music, but I generally dislike depressive stuff, and there doesn't seem to be more than 1 or 2 PT songs that aren't totally depressive or even fatalistic in their lyrics. Now, I'm not complaining on this, Steven can write whatever he feels like writing. But I don't think any of you guys in the band are this kind of person, even Steven seems quite cheerful in interviews and so. So how do you feel about drumming to this kind of mood in the songs? Is it about the music for you? Because for everything I've seen you post you don't strike me as a person who'd really identify himself with a set list where half the songs speak about consuming pills. I don't mean any disrespect, I actually like some of the lyrics, it's just that having 80%+ of them being like that...I don't think any band's music should be all about one particular type of feeling. I hope this doesn't make you feel like answering "If you don't like it, don't listen to it.", as I said, I like the music, and the drumming obviously, and respect Steven's artistic choices, but it'd be nice to hear your input on the subject (I mean, Colin is smiling from side to side while Steven is really focused on the negative implications of the song, and also shows it in his face, so it's kind of confusing :p).
Alright, I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask here. Thanks.

Fox.

Hi Gavin

Just got my copy of Anesthetize and only can say: GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!!!.
Beautifully shooted, and a great insight into the performances of everyone of you guys. Also love the ambient on the stage with the dark colours and shadows, perfect for your music.

Greetings and thanks for your time!!

Gustavo

Hi Gavin,

Congrats on the new DVD! It's really good.
I was there both nights, so it's great to see it again.
I just love your playing at the ending of Dark Matter.
I'll see you at the Sonor factory this weekend.
Will you discuss the same things at both your masterclasses, or will you mix things up?
Anyways, can't wait.

Cheers,

Francis

Happy BassDrum, Mr Harrison !
hbd.jpg

for 28th, of course :)

Last edited:
Because for everything I've seen you post you don't strike me as a person who'd really identify himself with a set list where half the songs speak about consuming pills.

I find it interesting to go in this direction a bit, although it quickly could become too personal.
Concerning the sentence I've quoted I believe Porcupine Tree explicitly is against taking drugs, aren't they?

I find it interesting to go in this direction a bit, although it quickly could become too personal.
Concerning the sentence I've quoted I believe Porcupine Tree explicitly is against taking drugs, aren't they?

Yes, very possibly. But many of their lyrics are about very depressed people who are actually using drugs. It obviously speaks negatively about them, I never put that in question.
And I agree, that's why I repeated in my post that I meant no disrespect, or to get into a territory I shouldn't.

EDIT: So wait, then the part of Futile we were discussing is just groups of three on the ride bell?

Fox.

Last edited:
Hey Gavin, there's something that intrigues me.
I Iike Porcupine Tree's music, but I generally dislike depressive stuff, and there doesn't seem to be more than 1 or 2 PT songs that aren't totally depressive or even fatalistic in their lyrics. Now, I'm not complaining on this, Steven can write whatever he feels like writing. But I don't think any of you guys in the band are this kind of person, even Steven seems quite cheerful in interviews and so. So how do you feel about drumming to this kind of mood in the songs? Is it about the music for you? Because for everything I've seen you post you don't strike me as a person who'd really identify himself with a set list where half the songs speak about consuming pills. I don't mean any disrespect, I actually like some of the lyrics, it's just that having 80%+ of them being like that...I don't think any band's music should be all about one particular type of feeling. I hope this doesn't make you feel like answering "If you don't like it, don't listen to it.", as I said, I like the music, and the drumming obviously, and respect Steven's artistic choices, but it'd be nice to hear your input on the subject (I mean, Colin is smiling from side to side while Steven is really focused on the negative implications of the song, and also shows it in his face, so it's kind of confusing :p).
Alright, I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask here. Thanks.

Fox.

Steven writes these lyrics because of inspiration, If you listen to In Absentia, he speaks of child molesters, rapists, serial killers, etc etc. He has stated that he doesn't write the lyrics to display his specific message, just too display his thoughts on the topic and how real these situations are. With the pills situation, that is an epidemic in a lot of countries where a lot of people were under the influence of pills such as ecstasy and prescription. the lyrics in deadwing though were about a movie script he wrote and isn't about depressed topics more of a sequence. You should really listen to his interview on the "Futile EP" about his lyrical writings for In Absentia and everything.

Gavin,

A question about the quick and fast "double strokes" you use in Break (specifically the intro)... are those linear notes..as in RR LL RR LL RR LL? You do them so fast between the hi-hat and snare it's hard to hear exactly what's going on.

thanks

Hi Gavin,

First of all, a belated (?) happy birthday!
I received the Anesthetize pre-order yesterday (though the shops already had them in stock last week) and I'm amazed by the quality! I was there two days and this brings back good memories. Compliments again to all of you! You guys played amazing.

One thing that I was wondering, how come that Steve never introduces the band? I have seen my share of PT concerts but I can't recall any time where the band is introduced (and this makes PT the only band I know that doesn't do this). Is this on purpose?

Cheers!
Santi

Hi Florian

I will be in Manchester and then Scotland for a weeks vacation in July....any recommendations on things that need to been seen/visited?

Yes try and find the Loch ness Monster!!!

Hi Kalma

do you think an 18" A-Custom Crash can be used to cut it down to a Chime?
You used cymbals between 15"-17" right?

The 18" will have a larger bell than the 13-15. I don't know what it will sound like. If it's broken - give it a go - you've got nothing to lose.

Hi Fox622003

I Iike Porcupine Tree's music, but I generally dislike depressive stuff, and there doesn't seem to be more than 1 or 2 PT songs that aren't totally depressive or even fatalistic in their lyrics. Now, So how do you feel about drumming to this kind of mood in the songs? Is it about the music for you?

No it's just about the money - what would you like us to write about...picking daisies in a field?....I'm joking of course....I'm allowed to because it's my birthday.

EDIT: So wait, then the part of Futile we were discussing is just groups of three on the ride bell?

Yes absolutely.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

A question about the quick and fast "double strokes" you use in Break (specifically the intro)... are those linear notes..as in RR LL RR LL RR LL? You do them so fast between the hi-hat and snare it's hard to hear exactly what's going on.

they are inverted doubles RLLR. Sometimes I pedal the hi hat foot so it goes RLLF

Hi SantiBanks

One thing that I was wondering, how come that Steve never introduces the band? I have seen my share of PT concerts but I can't recall any time where the band is introduced (and this makes PT the only band I know that doesn't do this). Is this on purpose?

Does he need to? Actually on the most recent tours he does - and I do my magic trick!

thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin - happy birthday!! Have a good one, despite being stuck at the airport...

I have a question concerning bass drum tuning: I find it quite hard sometimes, especially with bigger sizes - do you make sure each lug has the same tension, like you probably do with the toms? Do you tune the reso-head lower than the batter? I often struggle with the deep frequencies, it's hard to hear if the heads are evenly in tension.

Does he need to? Actually on the most recent tours he does - and I do my magic trick!

thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

cheers
Gavin
Well I don't think he needs to, I don't have much with introductions myself. I just noticed it and wondered if there was any particular reason behind it as most bands seem to do it (and I have seen and heard my small share of them, some of them just too extravagant and embarrasing).

I'm however saddened that I missed the magic trick on the recent tours :-(

Enjoy your birthday!

Cheers,
Santi

There ain't no band introduction with TOOL either. Maybe the band (and Steven) think, that the music speaks for itself, and who is interested in the band will go an inform himself!?

Hi Kalma

do you think an 18" A-Custom Crash can be used to cut it down to a Chime?
You used cymbals between 15"-17" right?

The 18" will have a larger bell than the 13-15. I don't know what it will sound like. If it's broken - give it a go - you've got nothing to lose.

Kalma, for what it's worth, I've cut down an 18" Sabian AAXplosion crash to a bell/chime and I'm really happy with it. It sounds different for sure. It sounds more like a bell than smaller ones do.

I'm not sure what your A-Custom will sound like, but you might get good results too. You really won't know until you try it out.

Back