Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

icedgreece

I own a Mapex M (Maple) series right now. I'm going to the store to possibly buy some cymbals so while I'm there I figured I may as well buy new skins for my kit as well.

Right now, I don't like like the sound of my kit. If you need an idea of what it sounds like, I can make a video for you (no mics, camera does a pretty good job, though). Some of my toms just a bad "duuuung" after I hit it, and no matter how I tune it, it does the same thing. I think it is the bottom skin, though. Here's what I have right now.

Toms:
8"
10"
12"
14"
16"
18"
Kicks:
22" (x2)

The snares are good for now. I just replaced it on my Black Panther not to long ago.

I was thinking of getting both sides replaced. Here is where I'd be getting the heads at:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/82/filter

Now, price is a deal with me. I play Hard Rock/Metal, so I need something that can sound amazing whilst being under a budget. I also need something that won't "dent" as fast, since I am a hard hitter and I do use the toms a lot. Right now I have the stock Remo heads, but they are starting to get on their last legs. I am also willing to order online, but I live in Canada so it would need to be a site that is either here or is cheap shipping (customs and all)

I'm a first time buyer for heads, so I'm going into this completely blind.

Thanks guys.

What's your budget?

Honestly if you dot spend a good amount of money on heads then you'll keep getting the same results. Heads are a huge factor in the sound of your kit so if you get cheap heads, your kit will sound cheap(even if it's high end).

My personal suggestion for heads would be Evans G2 coated over Evans G1 clear.

What's your budget?

Honestly if you dot spend a good amount of money on heads then you'll keep getting the same results. Heads are a huge factor in the sound of your kit so if you get cheap heads, your kit will sound cheap(even if it's high end).

My personal suggestion for heads would be Evans G2 coated over Evans G1 clear.

I'm not too sure of how much heads go for. How much would say, a higher up grade of skins go for to reskin my entire kit?

Man, yeah, you cant skimp on the dough on heads and expect a good result.

I would also say Evans G2 over G1 is a good fit because it sounds like you want a nice open, not too dead tone.

They have drum head pre packs that will save you some money. I am goung to get a G1 "Fusion" sizes pre pack pretty soon.

You are looking at a couple hundred bucks to do your whole large kits toms top and bottom.

Bass drum heads are expensive for the good ones, like $30 to $50 each.

Man, yeah, you cant skimp on the dough on heads and expect a good result.

I would also say Evans G2 over G1 is a good fit because it sounds like you want a nice open, not too dead tone.

They have drum head pre packs that will save you some money. I am goung to get a G1 "Fusion" sizes pre pack pretty soon.

You are looking at a couple hundred bucks to do your whole large kits toms top and bottom.

Bass drum heads are expensive for the good ones, like $30 to $50 each.

See, $200 is amazing. $300 is alright for me. Like I said, I have no idea what I'm buying and I want that heavy tone. Well, the bass drum heads will last me a life time so I'm willing to spit up a couple extra bucks.

Go here and check out the pricing. Probably the largest musical instrument distributer in the US. They ship to canada.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/#

Again, check out the Evans G2's and G1's. Read the description on the G2's, sounds like what you want.

I made a wishlist of the G2's, came to about $90. What would you recommend for the bass drums? I want some nice, hard hit. Something that makes the room "thump" with a nice deep, bass to it.

Edit*
Also, what's the difference between battered and clear? Any sound difference? Durability?

Thanks.

I made a wishlist of the G2's, came to about $90. What would you recommend for the bass drums? I want some nice, hard hit. Something that makes the room "thump" with a nice deep, bass to it.

Edit*
Also, what's the difference between battered and clear? Any sound difference? Durability?

Thanks.

Batter is the side of the drum you hit. Reso is the opposite side(ie bottom). Clear heads are just that clear. Will coated heads are all white, not see through. Clear heads usually have a more open/resonant sound. But batter and clear are 2 completely different things.

Edit*

Thanks.

Remo and Aquarian also make good heads. I am using Evans as an exaple because I'm currently using them and I am very happy.

I have an Evans GMAD on my kick batter and its just straight up thunderous with a killer attack.

Oh, and dont forget your tom resos (bottom heads). New ones (G1's or whatever) will help you get that killer tone. Old heads and stock heads usually dont help much.

Confusing the terminology here a bit mate.

Batter head = the side that you hit.
Reso head = the underside that resonates.

Coated heads = rounder, warmer tones.
Clear head = more stick attack, slightly sharper tone.

Durabilty between a coated or clear head is about the same, other than the fact that the coating will wear off a coated head over time.

PS3's, front and back. http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/156/cl_powerstroke3.html or whatever the Evans equivalent is.

Alright, I'll check em out.

Batter is the side of the drum you hit. Reso is the opposite side(ie bottom). Clear heads are just that clear. Will coated heads are all white, not see through. Clear heads usually have a more open/resonant sound. But batter and clear are 2 completely different things.

Remo and Aquarian also make good heads. I am using Evans as an exaple because I'm currently using them and I am very happy.

I have an Evans GMAD on my kick batter and its just straight up thunderous with a killer attack.

Oh, and dont forget your tom resos (bottom heads). New ones (G1's or whatever) will help you get that killer tone. Old heads and stock heads usually dont help much.

Confusing the terminology here a bit mate.

Batter head = the side that you hit.
Reso head = the underside that resonates.

Coated heads = rounder, warmer tones.
Clear head = more stick attack, slightly sharper tone.

Durabilty between a coated or clear head is about the same, other than the fact that the coating will wear off a coated head over time.

Sorry guys, my bad. Got my words a little mixed up there. So, I'm guessing I would want a clear head?

Alright, I'll check em out.

Sorry guys, my bad. Got my words a little mixed up there. So, I'm guessing I would want a clear head?

It's up to you

Personally I'd go with Evans g2 coated over Evans g1 clear as said above

Ah, the age old question. I've been flipping between the two for 25 years now. I can never stick with one over the other either. ;-)

I would say yes because you want an agressive sound and clears will give you more "attack" (stick contact sound).

Coated heads are just a bit mellower (warmer) than clear IMO.

Haha, well I remember in my band classes as a percussionist/saxophonist, the kits had the coated heads, and just sounded like ass. So I never really had a real "sound test" on them. Also, will the heads dent easily? Or can they withstand some hard rocking out? ;)

Haha, well I remember in my band classes as a percussionist/saxophonist, the kits had the coated heads, and just sounded like ass. So I never really had a real "sound test" on them. Also, will the heads dent easily? Or can they withstand some hard rocking out? ;)

Heads don't dent much but they can break if played with bad technique or over a long period of time.

But they should hold up for a while and can withstand a good beating.

Also, will the heads dent easily? Or can they withstand some hard rocking out? ;)

A good quality 2 ply head like a G2 or an Emperor can take a beating mate. As long as you have some semblance of reasonable technique and aren't just bashing away like a maniac newb with a baseball bat, they'll serve you well.

Coated or non coated heads are equally prone to denting.

The trick is in the thickness of the film the heads are made of.
Also, 2 ply heads are less prone to denting. G2's are 2 ply (hence the name). G1's are 1 ply but I would only use them for reso (bottom) heads myself.

Heads don't dent much but they can break if played with bad technique or over a long period of time.

But they should hold up for a while and can withstand a good beating.

A good quality 2 ply head like a G2 or an Emperor can take a beating mate. As long as you have some semblance of reasonable technique and aren't just bashing away like a maniac newb with a baseball bat, they'll serve you well.

Coated or non coated heads are equally prone to denting.

The trick is in the thickness of the film the heads are made of.
Also, 2 ply heads are less prone to denting. G2's are 2 ply (hence the name). G1's are 1 ply but I would only use them for reso (bottom) heads.

Alright. I checked out guitarcenter.com and they still want to charge me like $20.00 for shipping to a local store. So, not too sure. I would probably get the G1's for the bottom and G2's for the top just like you do, I doubt having two sets of G2's for top and bottom would make a major difference in sound. I'm looking at about $300 which I'm okay with. I just wish I could buy them locally, you know? Make life so much easier.

Back