singing drummer makes music video shocker..

nate

Pioneer Member
hello chaps....

i still linger on here from time to time, i hope you're all well...

i made this music promo the other day - me own cash and stuff - now i'm so, so broke, but think it was worth it....singing,drumming and directing, edititng.....funny costumes too....

lemme know what you think.....

http://vimeo.com/3956898

more songs here

losta love...

nate

Nate, I really like this. Unlike a lot of 'home' projects, this has clearly been done with your ideas executed in an utterly professional way. Love the introduction of vocal 'dirt' and the retrofuturistic feel. Really like this.

Umm... wow.

I'm impressed, nice work all around - music, editing, visual conceptions. I'm not much for playing dress-up, but the wardrobe fit the theme of the music and video quite well.

Kudos.

wow thats looks brilliant, good to hear you had a laugh too. i could see it on mtv anyday.

what kinda kit did you use? it all looks very pro, camera? lights? editing software? im doing tv production at uni so would be intersted. cheers.

also, how did you get round syncing parts up with the song? (i know that with a bit of artistic license it doesnt always have to be!). i went to a music vid shoot once and the drummer put another set of cymbals on top of his so they wouldnt resonate, not sure what he did with the drums?? anyone? anyway, this allowed him to play at full whack whilst still being able to hear the original recording being played.

and again, nice video. im inspired.

wow thats looks brilliant, good to hear you had a laugh too. i could see it on mtv anyday.

what kinda kit did you use? it all looks very pro, camera? lights? editing software? im doing tv production at uni so would be intersted. cheers.

also, how did you get round syncing parts up with the song? (i know that with a bit of artistic license it doesnt always have to be!). i went to a music vid shoot once and the drummer put another set of cymbals on top of his so they wouldnt resonate, not sure what he did with the drums?? anyone? anyway, this allowed him to play at full whack whilst still being able to hear the original recording being played.

Called "playback" in the industry, can be done a couple ways. Most efficient is to create a video running time code - using Pro Tools you link the song with the time code video, you allow for pre-roll on the time code video file and shoot the video of the running time code before the song starts (or before the part of the song starts that you are filming). Pro shoots will actually use a special display (can't remember the name if it), who's input is the time code from Pro Tools, one can also simply shoot a laptop screen as well. What this allows an editor to do, is sync every shot up to this same reference time code, then it's a matter of selecting which shot to use where. You don't have to follow this, you can put in shots from different parts of the song, but where you need sync, you'd use this. I should mention that the audio will be played on set, I've had it run through a PA (hence trying to make the drums quieter, so you can hear the PA), or I've had in-ear monitors so I can keep sync and the rest of the band follows me.

It can be done without the time code as well, but it means that the editor will have to manually sync each shot - easy if you are a member of the band, easier yet if you are the drummer. That's often why you see drummers seemingly out of sync with the music, a lot of editor's don't know enough about what drums make what sounds and they simply try to do their best. Besides, most non-drummers / musicians wouldn't really notice. I've done video's before where we didn't use time code, I simply had a small headphone in one ear hidden from the angle of the camera, more work for the editor, but gets the job done.

As for the other question about what to do with the drums themselves, I've either made sure I can hear the music loud enough that I can hit things with conviction, or "faked" hits, by hitting rims. I'm sure some would use whatever muffling technique available to try and dampen sound. You also see a lot of tape on cymbals in vids sometimes, trying to get them quieter.

Wert, I work in Post Production for film and television, feel free to ask me any questions.

hey...the camera was a dvx i think, can't remember - but we used prime lens - they use these in film work. - which is what makes it look a loads better than most DV cameras. the lens does all the work. we had a track, dolly and lights, mostly arris - about 7 - not enough.....

i used an avid to cut it - my friend lend me his on is lap top - runs really well.....

...yeah i did do that with the cymbals - (sticking two together), and i had 'matts' on the drums so i could play normally without the sound killing everything, it's the normal way to do it - you can hire the stuff. then we just played along to the track.

as far as syncing the track up in the edit - it's not that hard. at the start of the track i hit the ride cymbal bell, i just find that in vision and sync it to the sound on the track. easy. it's even easier if you record sound on the camera, then you can hear the playback and sync that to the track in the edit.....all tracks have an easy sync point in them..

hope that helps....
you can even do that with live bands - like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Dy5jgL_co which i was lucky enough to direct, you just need more cameras for live....

Last edited:
That is trippy dude! love it!!!

Your bandmate's hand print on face made me think of NUTHA JASON's avatar...

image.php

Keep up the good work, and I hope this brings you guys the attention it deserves!

i agree with everyone above
i love the masks and every thing else about the video...how did you do the face on the guys chest? with a projecter?

cheers for the advise guys, time codes are the future!

hope that helps....
you can even do that with live bands - like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Dy5jgL_co which i was lucky enough to direct, you just need more cameras for live....
i remember seeing that at the time, nice work. are you from brighton then? good little venue that concorde

Back