Chuck Silverman here!

ChuckSilverman

DW PRO DRUMMER
hey fellow rhythmatists

It's about time I posted something here. It's early morning in Los Angeles. As usual, my two dogs wake me up, then they go back to sleep!

Just a brief note to say "hello" to all. What an amazing site this is! Bernhard has done an amazing thing, creating this forum and site for us all.

Some of you might know, I'm very involved with Cuban drums and drumming and culture. I've been very influenced by this great music, as well as the phenomenal rhythms from Brasil. And for those of you who don't know about it, Candombe rhythms from Uruguay are also amazing. Of course, the drummers of James Brown have been a great influence as well.

Hope you're all well and enjoying 2007.

All the best,

Chuck S.

Re: Chuck Silverman

welcome welcome.

wow, i remember reading about you in modern drummer as a kid. great to have an afrocaribean master drummer and teacher here.
j
chucksilverman1.jpg

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Chuck_Silverman.html

so a first question...

i'm asking all the pros this question. i think the answers could be very instructive to many of us.
let's say there was a totally new drum rudiment that was suddenly discovered and was so totally applicable that any drummer worth their salt would quickly try to learn it, master it and use it in recordings and gigs. this hypothetical new rudiment is quite hard to play and totally unrelated to any other rudiment. it is so good that you know that the next time you sit in on a session the writer is probably going to ask you to use it somewhere in their song.
my question is: starting from scratch what would be your way of learning it?

thanks
j

Welcome sir and thank you for joining us. For those interested in some amazing educational books and videos, take a look at Chuck's website and especially the 3 "Practical Application" books and CDs.

Chuck, it's nice to know that there are a few of us here who have canine alarm clocks.

Chuck Silverman's home page

Chuck Silverman on DrummerWorld

Nice to see you here Chuck. I first bought a Chuck Silverman educational package way back in the day they came with cassettes. I've bought several since and never regretted it.

Thanks for your efforts Chuck. They are very much appreciated at this end.

Hi Chuck

Welcome on drummerworld

I just want to say that loved reading your Modern Drummer Afro/cuban/latin articles. I still have some copies in PDF files which I printed for my drums lessons book.

it's very cool being here. I've posted some info already on another thread about grooving, probably the key area that I work on with my students and something I get the most joy out of behind the drums, congas and timbales (with an occasional maraca or güiro thrown in). I hope to have the time to read more interesting posts and reply as well.
This year I celebrate 40 years of playing drums. Amazing. And still so much more to do. Now where did I put my double pedal....

Chuck S

Ps my dogs are asleep...ready to pounce on me at 6 AM. Help!!

it's very cool being here. I've posted some info already on another thread about grooving, probably the key area that I work on with my students and something I get the most joy out of behind the drums, congas and timbales (with an occasional maraca or güiro thrown in). I hope to have the time to read more interesting posts and reply as well.
This year I celebrate 40 years of playing drums. Amazing. And still so much more to do. Now where did I put my double pedal....

Chuck S

Ps my dogs are asleep...ready to pounce on me at 6 AM. Help!!

Leave them on another room and close the door of your room...

Congrats on your 40 years of sticks bouncing !

Chuck S. 31 Jan

early AM here in a rainy L.A. I've been working with my MI students on time by using the Beatnik Rhythm Analyzer (very interesting) and by playing along with great tunes by James Brown, Eddie Palmieri, Cuban artists, the Meters, etc. It's a nice mix and a great way to get these drummers to respect the time and respect their role in the music they play.
Just a brief note...

A brief shout out to all on DrummerWorld! On a break from Musicians Institute. I'll be receiving my DWs soon. I can't wait! I'll post some pics here when they arrive. Been busy with a massive home remodel here and haven't been able to teach at my studio. Today my first student in a while is coming over! If I can assist with any questions,etc. please let me know!
Chuck S

OYE Mang!!! That is great news!! WOW...very nice!

I hope we get to catch up soon!
Un abrazo grandisimo and congrats on the new stuff!!
PM

Bom dia O Senhor Silverman. Gostei sea musica muito! Eu moram na cidade Rio De Janeiro. Eu sou Americano.
Voce fala Portuguese?

Hi Chuck,

it´s Marc from Germany.
How are you doing?
I am still working on the Spivack technique,
thanks again for these great videos.
I def need another lesson soon....
All the best

Marc

Hey Chuck! I remember first seeing you at a joint clinic with Ed Shaugnessy at Long Beach State. You were great!

My question; when it comes to doing fills in latin music, such as on a songo in a latin jazz setting, what are the rules for creating phrases that expand upon the groove without destroying it? I've been playing the songo and other latin grooves for years but still have a relatively limited vocabulary when it comes to making longer phrases, fills, etc. I try to avoid playing fills that go right to '1', cause they seem too obvious. On the other hand, I don't want to play too complex, over the barline, etc. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Back