Front range Colorado floods 9-2013

B-squared

Silver Member
So we have not got much rain all summer here in northern CO and now apparently we are going to get it all at once. I live in Loveland and now every way across the big Thompson river is closed and even the interstate is now closed due to floods. We were due to go on vacation yesterday but decided not to go due to this. Its bad all along I-25 throughout the entire state down in to New Mexico. My job is on the floodplain and is under evacuation, 1000's are evacuated and entire towns are cut off. The big Thompson flooded back in 76 and killed over 100 people. The Thompson river is usually about 15 20 feet wide, in some areas its about a quarter mile wide now. Anyone other drummers in Colorado going through this?

Here are some videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9afSz3Ih9Iw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWGK4CiWxeM

I'm in Erie, and we have had some evacuations and road closures too. I live on a hill, so all I have had to do was pump out my window well. I didn't have a pump, so I had to run to Home Depot to find one. There was a LINE in the pump aisle. I was lucky and got one before they sold out. The next day, my brother called me and asked me if I had one so I let him borrow it. All submersible pumps in the area had sold out!!! My brother was told that emergency shipments of submersible pumps were being rerouted to Colorado from othet parts of the country. They aren't due in until sometime today. This is a 100 year storm so it has been a mess!

That's crazy, fortunately I don't live anywhere near a flood plain and we don't have a basement. We just made a contingency plan to go to South Dakota for vacation its the only direction we can go. Should be leaving shortly and will check in when we get up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we have not got much rain all summer here in northern CO and now apparently we are going to get it all at once. I live in Loveland and now every way across the big Thompson river is closed and even the interstate is now closed due to floods. We were due to go on vacation yesterday but decided not to go due to this. Its bad all along I-25 throughout the entire state down in to New Mexico. My job is on the floodplain and is under evacuation, 1000's are evacuated and entire towns are cut off. The big Thompson flooded back in 76 and killed over 100 people. The Thompson river is usually about 15 20 feet wide, in some areas its about a quarter mile wide now. Anyone other drummers in Colorado going through this?

I used to live in Fort Collins, an old friend and her family (some are in local bands) have a flooded homestead up in the foothills, so I guess the Poudre is bad too. The photos are terrible. I think The Descendents are still headquartered out there. I wish them all the best, I'm worried.

I live south of Franktown, at 6700 feet on the north slope of the Palmer Divide. We've only had about an inch and a half of rain from this system thus far: the heavy rains have all been well to our north. We're well-drained, and over a hundred feet above any local flood plains, so we're okay. But we haven't seen rains like this in years. After the ultra-dry summer we've just had, we've actually had enough rain to see some actual runoff. It hasn't all just soaked into the dust. Figures that we're getting it all now... This year's hay season was a complete bust for those of us who try to do dryland hay production. We were at less than 3" total right through July, and all the graze just burned up.

As of today, we're at 8.35" of total rain plus snow melt since 1/1/13 here at the house. We've already beat last year's total of 7.65", but we are way behind what the historical average calls for (15.8"). We haven't seen a year with over 10" of total precip since 2005. Maybe we can carry some of this moisture over into next season's growth.

Some of the folks up to the north have apparently seen as much as 12" of rain from this single storm, and it isn't over yet. That's *insane* for the high desert here... You guys be safe up there to the north, and keep the hatches battened down through Monday.

I just hope every stays safe. Keeping you in my thoughts..

Eek. We came literally within half an inch of being flooded once. Horrible and terrifying.

I hope you and yours are ok.

Thanks for the thoughts, Well after trying every road out of here is closed and not expected to open anytime soon. So no one is going out and nothing is coming in. They expect our water to become contaminated since the plants are along the flood plane. We just went to the store and it was a nut house. Stocked up and will wait it out, good thing I am a country boy and know how to survive, lol. Take care everybody.

I live near Denver in the north metro area. I wasn't personally affected by the floods but heard quite a few horror stories. Real bummer. It has been raining almost constantly for about a week.

I just got a look at my running path. It's largely under water at the moment - this is crazy! It has stopped raining for the moment but we aren't going to be out of this for another day. The Town of Lyons is an island without water, sewer, food, anything. I feel fortunate that I'm on higher ground.

That is very scary stuff. Stay home and don't be too adventurous.

Its pretty crazy, now it is REALLY getting bad over the flat land to the east where all the rivers come together the water can spread out, it it taking over square miles, rising, and swallowing whole farms and ranches.

I hope you're stocked up on necessities. The forecast is for another front with MORE RAIN! We have another couple days of this (UGH)!

I hope you're stocked up on necessities. The forecast is for another front with MORE RAIN! We have another couple days of this (UGH)!

Yeah I know, pretty stocked up and luckily they got one bridge to the south open and got some supply trucks to the stores, Just went to the store and it still seemed pretty stocked up. The main railroad tracks north to south are completely gone in several areas. This will be months and years before the damage is repaired. I will be glad when this is over.

Here we go for round 2, Some areas got 6" of rain in just a few hours, 1-2" at least in the foothills where 1/2" can add to the flooding badly. Its raining pretty heavily at my house right now and it is just not moving on. Now our the flood has made it to Fort Morgan is getting hammered the South Platte river was at 20' last night.

Here we go for round 2, Some areas got 6" of rain in just a few hours, 1-2" at least in the foothills where 1/2" can add to the flooding badly. Its raining pretty heavily at my house right now and it is just not moving on. Now our the flood has made it to Fort Morgan is getting hammered the South Platte river was at 20' last night.

Hey Zarrdoss, I was waiting for your update. I tried to do a long run this morning and I had to cut it short after being soaked. What's so weird about this isn't so much that it's a 100 year flood. I know most front range communities expected that this was coming at some point in our lifetimes. What's weird is that it's happening in September! This is normally a dry month. Take a look at this:

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-severe/colorado-flash-flood-how-it-happened-unusual-20130912

I was just reading that there are 1000 people unaccounted for. this is a terrible disaster. God speed.

To all you guys & girls up there, our thoughts n prayers are with you.

Be safe,
Meat

Hey Zarrdoss, I was waiting for your update. I tried to do a long run this morning and I had to cut it short after being soaked. What's so weird about this isn't so much that it's a 100 year flood. I know most front range communities expected that this was coming at some point in our lifetimes. What's weird is that it's happening in September! This is normally a dry month. Take a look at this:

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-severe/colorado-flash-flood-how-it-happened-unusual-20130912

Its funny they said it was a 100 year flood they said the same thing back in 76 when the Big Thompson flooded them so more like 37. The best description I got was due to the high pressure cold fronts and mountains its squeezing all the moisture out of the clouds that's coming up here which is a bunch thanks due to the moisture from the gulf.
Yes there are a bunch of people unaccounted for and many more in need of rescue. luckily the rain seems to be letting up for today and should clear out by late tonight. Much drier forecast for next week.
Thanks for the prayers and thoughts guys, I know some people are going to need some serious help when this is over as well as now. Damage will go into the 100's of millions.
Here are a bunch of photos here
http://photos.denverpost.com/2013/09/12/photos-massive-flash-flooding-along-front-range-of-colorado/

Here are some pics of the canyon closest to me, I drove up this canyon a few weeks ago. This was built to withstand this kind of flood after the flood in 76, guess they will have to try harder. It will be a long time before they get that open.
http://kdvr.com/2013/09/15/slideshow-hwy-34-destroyed-through-big-thompson-canyon/

Last edited:
We've pretty much have been getting out collective butt kicked here in the Lower 48.Last October,it was hurricane Sandy,and here in Staten Island,we're still getting it back together.

I understand just how terrifing extreme weather can be,so stay strong Colorado,by best wishes are with all of the affected as well as the families of those still missing,and dead.

Lend a helping hand to a neighbor in need if at all possible.

Steve B

Back