chain or strap drive

warrier1

I need to get a new pedal, i see alot of people with chain drives and other with strap i also see people with the direct, i was wondering what people use and give there opinion on why.
I know i have to test my own, but just want some feed back on the 2, thks

I have played with all three types over 25 years of playing and to be perfectly honest, I can't tell the difference between any of them. Any of them can be adjusted to suit your needs.

I used chain the most but I switched to strap because the chain oil kept getting on my hands and clothes.

I have an older DW 5000 chain drive, but am looking for a strap pedal instead as a replacement or substitute. The chain will likely last much longer than a strap, but strap pedals feel smoother and have less noise when recording, and I'm ready to replace the strap more often just for those reasons. Direct drive is good as well, but I still prefer a looser link between the pedal and shaft.

The folks at MRP Percussion have a cool strap pedal (very fast) they call their Lightspeed Pedal, but seem to have issues sometimes with availability due to raw materials. This is a small company, I visited with them at Winter NAMM.

http://www.mrpdrums.com/

Mark at MRP says he has a newer version of the Lightspeed pedal coming out sometime in 2009 that will be better. I'm going to wait and check that out.

A few months back, I purchased a Gibraltar 3311 strap drive single pedal. I use this pedal with my Yamaha Hip Gig, it basically just stays in my hardware bag otherwise. I also have a PDP 400 Double Pedal which I leave at my drum studio, and a DW 700 single pedal which I use with my Grestch rock kit. And I have a DW 5000 series double pedal back home, it's supposed to be coming sometime in the near future. In addition to this, I also have 2 Hansenfutz practice pedals which I keep under my desk in my bedroom, so I can keep my feet moving while I answer emails or do any online stuff.
I have to say... after playing on a myriad of different pedals, I really love the 3311 strap drive pedal. It's the easiest pedal to play on, for me anyway, it does what I want it to. I love this pedal so much that I've just purchased a set of double pedals of the same kind (strap drive). I'm sure I'll feel the same amount of satisfaction from the double pedals as I do with the single pedal. I was even thinking of buying another 3311 single pedal to put in my stick bag, so I'll always have it with me wherever I go. The 3311 is extremely lightweight and portable, and can easily fit in my stick bag. I don't know many drummers who like strap drives on their pedals... I don't personally like double chain drive pedals, I find them to be really bulky and difficult to play. I haven't tried the direct drives or anything fancy like that.

Go Strap Drives!

I've got a DW9000 came with the chain and strap. Played the chain for a year and thought wonder how the strap will feel. about a year ago I replaced the chain with the strap and I have to say the strap feels smoother and lighter than the chain.

How long do straps last?

As with any of the above
both 'Straps can stretch and so can a chain link'
over a period of time of course, you would periodically tighten
them as needed or get a New one.
Time length matters on daily usage & period of years etc..etc..

that being said;
it still comes down to your own personal choice/what feels
or works best for your situation.

I happen to like strap drive pedals, like the one I posted today in the Can You identify this Ludwig pedal. Its super smooth.

Was just about to post a thread on this =). Quite old now but i have never used anything but chain driven pedals, so today i thought it would be fun to see how my pedal felt with the straps that it came included with. A lot of people say they don't see a difference, well let me say now it makes a big difference. The smoothness is increased as is the response of the pedal and i don't know if i will use chains again!

For those of you who are considering a belt drive pedal i would reccomend it, but obviously try chains aswell to see what you prefer.

Has anyone out there used a strap drive pedal for a long time? And how often have you needed to replace the strap during the time you have had it?

Cheers folks.

I don't know how long the straps last but after reading this thread, I'm gonna try one on my DW9000.

What are differences?

Every pedal I've ever seen (I'm obviously new to drumming) has a bicycle chain connecting the pedal and the beater. I assume that's chain drive?

Strap drive is like a leather/cloth strap instead of chain? Belt drive the same thing?

What's Direct drive?

I've been using straps for 20 years, every chain I've tried just feels kinda "clunky".

I've only ever broken one strap, it was leather and probably happened 19 years ago.

I stretched the strap that came on the pedal I got in the early 90's, it was more of a reinforced vinyl with a mesh webbing and replaced it after maybe 10 years due to the bottom of the foot board bottoming out?

The IC I use now has a Kevlar strap, it has started to fray a touch at the pivot point, although I do carry a spare, (just in case), I trust it'll be a long time before it goes. Had it for about 5 years.

Switched from chain to strap on my 9000 little over a year ago and like you I felt the difference. Have had zero issues with it the past year.

I've been using straps for 20 years, every chain I've tried just feels kinda "clunky".

I've only ever broken one strap, it was leather and probably happened 19 years ago.

I stretched the strap that came on the pedal I got in the early 90's, it was more of a reinforced vinyl with a mesh webbing and replaced it after maybe 10 years due to the bottom of the foot board bottoming out?

The IC I use now has a Kevlar strap, it has started to fray a touch at the pivot point, although I do carry a spare, (just in case), I trust it'll be a long time before it goes. Had it for about 5 years.

Excellent thanks for the info Jer that has made me even happier knowing i probably won't have to worry about it for a while.

What are differences?

Every pedal I've ever seen (I'm obviously new to drumming) has a bicycle chain connecting the pedal and the beater. I assume that's chain drive?

Strap drive is like a leather/cloth strap instead of chain? Belt drive the same thing?

What's Direct drive?

You have the first two correct Strap and belt are the same and chains drives are like bicycle chains.

Direct drive links the footboard directly to the beater usually through a very light hinged piece of metal see this link: http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qu.../P-3002D-2f1a8121e897e6c012971015218687a5.jpg

Notice the demon drives slave pedal, this shows what direct drive is. I can't really explain it very well i'm sure someone else can explain it better and explain the scientific benefits.

I am pretty sure the benefits of a direct drive pedal are the fact that it is a 1 to 1 ratio of motion, using less energy to perform the same task (kind of like a pulley system in that way)

Where as a chain or strap drive pedal realize on a cam to transfer motion to the beaters thus using more energy. The differences are mainly in feel, but in the long-run people seem to enjoy the gained stamina a direct drive gives.

I personally use a strap-drive and I'm very happy with its feel.

Don't quote me on the science lol, this is just what I've heard and concluded.

Back