new batters toms and snare, head choice

jtkiv

I've had my kit almost a year now, playing on the stock heads and i've decided its time to move them up.

Toms - The stock heads are Remo UX's, basically a thin, clear stock head. For now, I'm keeping those on the resonate side, but I'm buying new batters for a 12/13/16/16 configuration. Cascio Interstate Music has some great deals on Remo Packs in 12/13/16 (or 10/12/14) in pinstripes, ambassadors (ctd and clr) and emperors (ctd and clr). I mainly play rock, heavy or light. I really haven't had any experience with heads, some input would be great.

Snare - I was thinking Aquarian Focus-X. Good? Bad?

Id really like to stay somewhere around $60 for all.

I have used emperors, not too fond of them, I have used G2's they are good. My votes goes to the G2 but if you are looking for pinstripes sound, I prefer EC2 because its the Evans version of the pinstripe model and I always felt EC2 > Pinstripes so yeah.
Aquarian makes good heads but I dont have that much experience with them.

As long as you can tune to a decent level you can't really go wrong nowadays. I had emperors over ambs a long time ago, now down the line I've gone for Evans G2's over G1's. Try coated ambassadors?

On my snare I had the Aquarian texture coated, and had the same but with the powerdot. Both really sound the same just the powerdot ones give a bit more durablity. I like a bit more ring in my snares but the Focus-x has a built in muffling ring to stop some unwanted overtones, so for you I'd just recommend getting a coated amb/avans g1 coated or the aquarian texture coated.

For heavy rock playing i would suggest ebony pinstripes. They sound amazing when tuned correctly. Check out Musicians Friend for your needs. Great prices fast shipping.

I play the Aquarian Focus X on my snare. It is a thick head. It takes tight tuning well. The ring control is wonderful. The coating will not wear off! The downside is that it is a thick head so if I am playing light soft jazzy rolls and such, Some sensitivity and sound is lost. It doesn't sound as good as a medium thickness two ply or a single ply head during light play.
Moderate to hard play is the Focus X's zone. Perfect for playing average size to large venues. Great ring control and durability. Takes a microphone really well.
It is good to have both a set of thick two ply heads and a set of medium single ply heads for your toms. I switch tom batter heads frequently depending on where and what I am playing. If Im playing outdoors I use thick two ply heads for a punchy thumpy sound. Indoors I like Remo Ambassadors for a higher ring sound.

Last edited:
What would the difference be in clear vs coated ambassadors? If Focus X is moderate to Heavy, i might want to come down from that and get something medium-ish. Maybe Evans Power-Center? Or Genera? possibly an Aquarian Power-Thin?

With Remo, i could get coated ambassadors 12/13/16 and a ambassador snare head for 35. Or for 40 get 12/13/16 Pinstripes and get powerstroke 3 coated for 40. If i get coated ambassadors for the toms, i might as well get the snare head with it as an extra.

What would the difference be in clear vs coated ambassadors? If Focus X is moderate to Heavy, i might want to come down from that and get something medium-ish. Maybe Evans Power-Center? Or Genera? possibly an Aquarian Power-Thin?

With Remo, i could get coated ambassadors 12/13/16 and a ambassador snare head for 35. Or for 40 get 12/13/16 Pinstripes and get powerstroke 3 coated for 40. If i get coated ambassadors for the toms, i might as well get the snare head with it as an extra.

Coated heads produce a warmer sound and the coating offers some ring control. The Ambassador, coated, and also the not coated varieties have been around and have been widely used for years and years! They are an all purpose head. Coated heads on toms are mellower than non coated. Coated is a must have for a snare in my book! Most drummers go with non coated toms for a livelier sound.
Jazz folks tend to like coated more often on their toms! Jazz drummers tend to tune tighter also.

Clear Ambassadors on your toms and a coated Ambassador on your snare would probably make you happy. You could even go with an Emperor on your snare. Pinstripes are also a good choice. A bit of ring control. I have used Emperor's many times over the years both coated and not! Great sounding two ply heads!

Last edited:
Coated heads produce a warmer sound and the coating offers some ring control. The Ambassador, coated, and also the not coated varieties have been around and have been widely used for years and years! They are an all purpose head. Coated heads on toms are mellower than non coated. Coated is a must have for a snare in my book! Most drummers go with non coated toms for a livelier sound.
Jazz folks tend to like coated more often on their toms! Jazz drummers tend to tune tighter also.

Clear Ambassadors on your toms and a coated Ambassador on your snare would probably make you happy. You could even go with an Emperor on your snare. Pinstripes are also a good choice. A bit of ring control. I have used Emperor's many times over the years both coated and not! Great sounding two ply heads!

Also, if you use brushes at all, you'll get a better swish out of the coated heads. No one ever mentions this.

My favorite heads are Remo Ambassadors. I've been trying Evans and Aquarians but keep coming back. For some reason Remos are so easy to tune right up and get a great sound and feel. Evans G1 coateds are sort of muted, and Evans heads all around have a more dead feel. I have yet to have any sort of success at all with Aquarian heads, and do not plan to ever buy more. There's nothing wrong with Emperors, but you have to like the two-ply plastic sound. Ambassadors are my favorite and always sound great. Remo Fiberskyns are the second head I like as well. If you ever want an earthy, exotic sound try Fiberskyns. These heads don't have a plastic attack, but project a nice warm full sound. Don't expect a modern crack out of them though, just a nice boom. They make great alternatives to regular heads. My recommendation for you to start with is CLEAR AMBASSADORS top and bottom for toms. This way, if you decide you want a heavier batter then you know to go to Emperors. Bass drum=Powerstroke 3 batter, resonant something like Ambassador works great.

Aren't we missing a piece of the puzzle folks??

What kind of kit is it? What is it made of? Birch, Maple,...etc?? Ooopps...I just saw the SIGNATURE...sorry ...

Ok ...

I'd HIGHLY recommend changing your resonant side heads too, IT DOES make a difference, but ...if you're on a budget, just do the tops first:
Aquarian: Super 2 Coated (it's a thinner 2 ply head) for the toms
And a Texture Coated w/ a Power Dot for your snare

When you're ready, ....put Classic Clears on the bottoms of your toms, and a Classic Clear Snare Side on your snare...

I'd HIGHLY recommend changing your resonant side heads too, IT DOES make a difference, but ...if you're on a budget, just do the tops first:
Aquarian: Super 2 Coated (it's a thinner 2 ply head) for the toms
And a Texture Coated w/ a Power Dot for your snare

When you're ready, ....put Classic Clears on the bottoms of your toms, and a Classic Clear Snare Side on your snare...

This is some good advice as well as a good combo for heads. I'm an Aquarian guy too.

Back