Help! Chain replacement on DW pedal

tawnylee

i'm trying to replace a chain, which has a broken pin. i received a new chain, but can't figure out how to remove the old chain from the pedal. i see the screw on the toe board, but can't figure out the other side. do i need a special tool to pry off the small piece with two holes (the locking tab thing)? here is the part i think i'm referring to from the manual: "To change the position of the chain, carefully remove the master link connector from the chain and sprocket and, to adjust the chain, reposition it as desired by moving it to an alternate hole in the sprocket." would really appreciate a quick response, have a show coming up! thanks

i'm trying to replace a chain, which has a broken pin. i received a new chain, but can't figure out how to remove the old chain from the pedal. i see the screw on the toe board, but can't figure out the other side. do i need a special tool to pry off the small piece with two holes (the locking tab thing)? here is the part i think i'm referring to from the manual: "To change the position of the chain, carefully remove the master link connector from the chain and sprocket and, to adjust the chain, reposition it as desired by moving it to an alternate hole in the sprocket." would really appreciate a quick response, have a show coming up! thanks
I'm SURE someone could help you, but pics would help me know what to do.
Most pedals aren't that hard to disassemble, you might be missing some slightly hidden part that would make disassembling it easier.

What brand of pedal and a picture would help.

they are DW5000 doubles, but it's the primary chain. i will post some pics when i get a chance. based on what was in the package of replacement parts, it looks like it's a matter of just prying off this little part...again, will post pic at some point.

thx a lot for your responses.

You will need a small flat head screwdriver. To push off the horseshoe shaped clip on the left side. According to the spec sheet, It looks like you need to slide it up... DO NOT BEND IT...or it will be useless....So try a small screwdriver and maybe a needle nose pliers..... You should be able to slide that pin right off

You will need a small flat head screwdriver. To push off the horseshoe shaped clip on the left side. According to the spec sheet, It looks like you need to slide it up... DO NOT BEND IT...or it will be useless....So try a small screwdriver and maybe a needle nose pliers..... You should be able to slide that pin right off

thank you so much. i will try that.

update - it worked with the needle nose pliers. thanks mcbrain.

Last edited:
Back