Jack DeJohnette

Nice stuff ... good to see he is still going strong! Thx for the post!

Matched grip is not surprising for Jack, but bright / piercing high hats are for sure. He was always the king of dark cymbals (and drums for that matter). I wonder if that is more a function of the recording device? Or has he changed his sound a bit?

Anyone here like "Ahmed the Terrible"? lol ... I always loved that tune.

cheers,
radman

Love this! I am really not knowledgable enough about jazz to comment, but it is beautiful to watch! I defy anyone to watch this and not love it, regardless of whether or not they know or love jazz.

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that he gave up trad grip a while back, saying it wasn't relevant for drumset any more.

Very inspiring to watch. Great views of what he does with the fingers on his left hand as far as stroke.

Thanks for posting.

I had the privilege to see Jack early this year as part of last season's Jazz Series at Orchestra Hall in Detroit. He was fantastic.

Very inspiring to see him here with these cats, two of my favorite musicians of all-time.

Nice stuff ... good to see he is still going strong! Thx for the post!

Matched grip is not surprising for Jack, but bright / piercing high hats are for sure. He was always the king of dark cymbals (and drums for that matter). I wonder if that is more a function of the recording device? Or has he changed his sound a bit?

I wonder if he's playing his 3 point ride here, the ride sounds a bit brighter than my 3 point ride does, but the stick sound seems to match quite well. If that's the result of the camera being a few feet away, that's interesting, because the dark fundamental tone of the 3 point ride is quite dominant at a close distance.

The audio is quite sharp and with more dominant highs than lows, perhaps that's why the hi-hats are so loud in this recording.

"Eugene, Oregon"

HOW DID I MISS THIS? UGH. I was probably right down the street as this was going on.

Re: Jack DeJohnette

Everything he's done with Miles and Keith.

Parellel Realities with Pat Metheny and Herbie Hancock.

Special Edition.

Sorcery.

Album, Album.

Ah, this could go on for a while.

Peace, MT

Re: Jack DeJohnette

Parellel Realities with Pat Metheny and Herbie Hancock.

I really love this CD! I was fortunate to be able to see the tour they did for this and it's the only time I've been able to see Jack live. I believe there is a DVD out on this too. Outstanding!

.. Here is a ..different.. Jack De Johnette playing on..: Percussion - Congas,.!!.
He is not too bad as percussionist. Ciao fabio -
John Surman,.sax ,free-jazz, Live 'Duo' + Jack De Johnette.,dr .,
Live in Reggio Emilia ,Italy,24*Aprile 1998 with guest..: Escamilla Garrison…’Lady dance’
t.,54'.,vd prv.,vd1217-

They don't call him The Wizard for nothing. If Jack has a secret it's his early training on piano. He hears everything going on in the tune. He's IN the tune, and needn't worry himself with being lost. So that frees him to do his way out playing without ever losing it. I loved Jack on McCoy Tyner's "Supertrios." I liked him on that record better than on theTony Williams side. Tony will always be my fave, but Jack played with McCoy better on that date. I love all of the Charles Lloyd stuff, all of the Jarrett trio stuff, too.

My all-time favorite jazz drummer.
An incredible improviser!
He isn't like the rest of us mere mortals who will play the same licks over and over.
He'll play something on one recording and you'll never hear it again.
Bill Bruford once called it a seemingly endless vocabulary.

I'll pick 2 mind-blowing performances...

John Abercrombie "Lungs" from Timeless
Pat Metheny "Open" from 80/81

80 years old!

38791622_10160810542275338_2485540145911037952_n.jpg

Really wouldn't have given him that! If you'd said 60, i would believe it too.
By the way: whats up with the stand the ride is on on the left? There is a part missing; photo edit gone wrong? ;)

Really wouldn't have given him that! If you'd said 60, i would believe it too.
By the way: whats up with the stand the ride is on on the left? There is a part missing; photo edit gone wrong? ;)
The new Sonor 600000 hardware, the top part is hovering in a magnetic field. Wait 'til NAMM 2023.

• Haha
Reactions: iCe
Back