Wish i still had it!

sonormapex

Drummers get emotional over certain drums, cymbals, etc, and when they [we] sell something we wish we hadn,t, we say "I could kick myself for selling that"
I,ve noticed most times it takes a while to make that conclusion.

What happened to make YOU say; I wish I still had it, them, those, etc?

Hair!

Rock hard abs!!

Oh you mean drums?

Nah, I've managed to keep anything overly meaningful or sentimental over the years. As far as musical gear is concerned, if I've flogged it, I can pretty much say I've been happy to let it go.

Several months ago I gave away some cymbals and my Ludwig Acrolite snare drum - a good thing to do! However, I miss my Acrolite and wish I still had it. To be honest, I really didn't play the drum that much, but after I gave it away I later realized how emotionally tied I was to to the drum.

Look before you leap!

Ludwig Super Sensitive snare drum. It sounded amazing, but I couldn't afford to replace the special snare wires for it. Back then they were something like $60. Now Ludwig doesn't make that snare anymore. How could they be so stupid? That thing was perfect.

My complete set of Masterworks Jazz Series cymbals. A great ride, two nice crashes and a set of hats. i do still have the hats, 13 inch

Last edited:
I wish I still had my mojo.

The only one I really regret is my first kit, I think. It was a Rogers 4 piece in the white marine pearl.

I didn't sell it myself. I moved on and got a lower quality kit because I could afford more drums - stupid teen move. Anyway, I left that kit in my mom's basement for many years, and when I finally realized the value of it I asked her if it was still there. She said no, she'd had an auction company go through everything in storage and it was gone.

Interesting; my boner move was also a 4 pc Rogers 60,s WMP kit!!..I guess drummers aren,t the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Wow! We must be related. My boneheaded move was dumping my blue pearl 5pc Rogers set for a Tama Imperialstar 80s rocker kit with concert toms. I sure thought I looked cool, but those Old Rogers were ten times better. Just didn't know it at the time.

Wow! We must be related. My boneheaded move was dumping my blue pearl 5pc Rogers set for a Tama Imperialstar 80s rocker kit with concert toms. I sure thought I looked cool, but those Old Rogers were ten times better. Just didn't know it at the time.

Yeah, concert toms were my downfall, too. I think it was about 1978 or 79, lol.

I'm quite sanguine about gear nowadays.
I lusted after a Premier Heavy Rock 9 snare drum for years, finally got one, it was a thing of beauty, but it was a big clangy beast. Perhaps it was me at fault, perhaps it was the drum but I sold it on and only felt a small degree of regret. That regret has totally gone and the fact I sold it at a good price was the icing on the cake.
All of the gear I've sold has had good and bad about it and while things like my original Zildjian Z cymbals might still be getting used today if I'd kept them, equally I might have sold them on as they were great for my Metal band but not in keeping with what I play now.
I'm also sitting now at a point where my current kit is "better" than anything else I've owned so I can't look back and think "that was better, I wish I'd kept it", not the case when I traded my Sonor Force 3005 for a Mapex Saturn with no bass drum Tom mounts and a 20" deep bass drum. Yes the Mapex was a better kit both on paper and in reality (the toms all sang) but the shortcomings had me hankering for my Sonor and I ultimately sold the Mapex on because of them.

For the last few months I've been selling my AC/DC and assorted memorabilia on eBay. There are Tour Programmes and magazines I bought nearly 40 years that I've kept because of that emotional attachment. But once I committed to selling them I realised that they'd been sat in boxes for many many years and I'm not actually attached to them any more. The money I've raised has pretty much paid for my new kit and it's all gone to buyers who WILL appreciate the things they've bought so it's a win/win.

1980s Tama Superstar in Tobacco fade.

It was a perfect gigging kit and I part ex-ed it for a kit I later sold when I got my Luddy.

Other than that I haven't really regretted getting rid of anything.

No drum stuff as I was a wise old man even before I took up that instrument. lol

During illness when in school and having no energy to work I had to let most of my guitars go though and wish I sill had those.

Tyler Burning Water
Fender 50th Anniverary strat
Ibanez GB-20

Rototoms - because I always come back to them and the prices are now just ridiculous

DW Collectors snare - black on black, Keller shell, 14 x 5 maple - a fooking peach of a drum, unique sound

Mapex Black Panther snare 13 x 7 maple - a firecracker of a drum and a unique size (at the time) which just made everyone sit up and take notice. Only used it for the odd fill and the whole of 1 song but man it kicked @ss

My entire set of Zildjian A-Customs - I only kept my fave the 15" but I really miss the 16 and 18" crashes

My Zildjian K-custom ride, I really miss that at this moment in particular

My Pearl monster boom arms with huge weights on them. The ultimate heavy metal \m/

GLAD I GOT RID:

Arbiter Snare - fibreglass crap but cranked and it blew everyones head off
Paiste Rude cymbals - harsh as hell
Mapex Orion - nice kit, just not in the same league at the time as other high-end manufacturers (this was about 2004)
Pearl BRX/MMX - annoying tom holders, really really annoying
Kevlar snare head - kept crushing the bearing edges I cranked it and battered it so hard - only old shit snares like the Premier XPK so it didn't really matter
Oak sticks - OK for a bit but now useless

The only drum-related thing I ended up regretting getting rid of is my old Tama Rockstars, but I ended up getting them back! Here's the story from a thread I posted on another messageboard about three years ago:

Long story short: I started playing drums in 1993, bought my first "real" drum kit, a set of Tama Rockstars, and played the cr@p out of it for about 10 years. I was in a few bands, played several hundred shows, traveled about as far as our cars would let us, did some recording, etc. Well, I always promised one of my friends in the band that if I ever got a pro-level drum kit, I'd give him my Rockstars. In 2003, I kept my promise. I got my Pork Pie kit, so I took my Rockstars to his house, and it was an absolute joy to give them away. I think I was happier giving my old drums to him than I was to get my Pie's.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. I get a random Facebook message asking me if I wanted the set back. He said that he has a couple more kits he has access to, and he thought they belonged back with me. I said, "Sure!" and I picked them up on my way home from work last night.

All in all, it's a 6-piece kit:
22"x16" kick
14" x 5.5"(?) snare
12" x 10" rack tom
16" x 16" floor tom

(Not shown)
8" x 6" rack tom
10" x 8" rack tom

After we FINALLY got the kids in bed last night, I went down last night, sat on the couch, and just stared at them for probably a solid 20 minutes. I couldn't believe that they were actually back in my house. I was surprised how well they cleaned up. I'm hoping at least one of the kids takes up drumming. It would be really cool for them to learn on the same set that I learned on.

It feels so good having my old friend home again.

10479743_10204566957714489_3111808146573588916_n.jpg

I regret trading in several cymbals:

Sabian 20 " AA El Sabor ride
Sabian 16" AAX Dark Crash
Sabian 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride

Peace and goodwill.

some earlier uneducated moves, sold my:
60's pre-serial Paiste 602 ride cymbal
Zildjian pre-aged K ride
Paiste Twenty 17 crash
I should have hoarded more cymbals years ago.

Back