New iron cobras = useless tama....

Springs shouldn't be covered by any kind of warranty. Just as beaters and drum sticks aren't covered. And they're cheap enough that you should've had spares. My list of spares I keep with the kit are beaters, hi-hat clutches, springs and S-hooks, snare wire - make up a little toolbox with those parts and keep it in the car everytime you go out for a gig.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the pedal.

Springs shouldn't be covered by any kind of warranty. Just as beaters and drum sticks aren't covered. And they're cheap enough that you should've had spares. My list of spares I keep with the kit are beaters, hi-hat clutches, springs and S-hooks, snare wire - make up a little toolbox with those parts and keep it in the car everytime you go out for a gig.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the pedal.

This is an excellent idea.

I actually have one of those organizer containers that has several compartments in it full of random drum kit bits and pieces.

I always have an extra pedal spring as well as an extra snare drum with me when I gig.
Those are the only two things that I have ever had a problem with in the past.
I carry a cheap 13 inch metal snare with me that came with my Tama Stagestar kit as a quick back up.

I even take a spare bass drum head now. Broke off the beater an stuck the rod through the head. Lots of duct tape finished that gig, but sounded horrible. Extra parts are really cheap insurance.

I'll agree that Tama is not out of line here. If you need something to do a gig have a spare or a way to fix it.

Spares I carry: springs, sticks, beaters, snare and bass heads, rods, screws, clutch, and if it's a paying gig, extra snare. You don't want to go through a bass drum head during the first set of a wedding.

Oh yeah, DUCT TAPE!

I even take a spare bass drum head now. Broke off the beater an stuck the rod through the head. Lots of duct tape finished that gig, but sounded horrible. Extra parts are really cheap insurance.

8 x 11 clear plastic laminating sheets (the kind w/ a backing sheet of paper w/ sticky stuff on one side of the laminating sheets) is a great quick fix that sounds better than tape. I keep a sheet at arms reach. If I tear a head, I peel off the backing sheet and slap the sticky side on the tear. It the tear is big I'll use another sheet or 2. I'm up and running in about 30 seconds. Yes it's not the sound you get w/ an unbroken head but it's a great fix nonetheless that will get you through the night, or until you can change heads.

8 x 11 clear plastic laminating sheets (the kind w/ a backing sheet of paper w/ sticky stuff on one side of the laminating sheets) is a great quick fix that sounds better than tape. I keep a sheet at arms reach. If I tear a head, I peel off the backing sheet and slap the sticky side on the tear. It the tear is big I'll use another sheet or 2. I'm up and running in about 30 seconds. Yes it's not the sound you get w/ an unbroken head but it's a great fix nonetheless that will get you through the night, or until you can change heads.

Read this advice before, i still think its an awesome suggestion.

Also depending on where the spring breaks, i carry a set of small pliers so i can re bend a hook into the spring, it does mess with yoru tension but can come in handy in a pinch.

I am surprised to notice that bass drum heads break for so many people.
I have never gone through a bass drum head.
I use two ply heads for hard play.
I always use a protector.
I hardly ever replace my bass drum heads. I keep them for years.

You can buy a new spring for around 5 bucks,or you can go to a well stocked hardware store,bring your old spring with you,and match it up,the main thing to look out for is to make sure that that the hook part on either end of the spring are lined up with each other,sometimes one hook will be from 12 to 6 oclock,while the other will 3 to 9 and that can make the spring twist or bind a little but when installed.They cost closer to two dollars.

I am surprised to notice that bass drum heads break for so many people.
I have never gone through a bass drum head.
I use two ply heads for hard play.
I always use a protector.
I hardly ever replace my bass drum heads. I keep them for years.

Way back when I was completely poor (and like 14 years old), I had a bass pedal footboard snap in half during a beat. My foot and the remnants of the footboard went through the bass head. It was some complete junker pedal that came with my CB700s. I did end up getting a Speed King, so all was good after that.

After having my Rolling Glide double for 10 months, the right pedal spring broke. A little better than 6 weeks, but I'm still kind of disappointed. I mean, how common is it for springs to break? I know they aren't expensive to replace, but when some people say they've never had a spring break, it makes me wonder what caused mine to break. I have medium tension and I usually bury the beater when I play slowly enough to not need a quick rebound. If it means anything, it broke the same exact place as Mr Orange's Speed Cobra spring as shown in this post. I think I will try the Tama heavy springs as replacements.

I commented before in this thread about the wisdom of carrying spare parts, but I guess I'm a bit surprised to hear of all these Tama springs breaking. I've owned Rogers, Ludwig, DW, Mapex, and Pearl pedals and have yet to break a spring. Beater shaft, yes. Strap, yes. But not a spring. Kinda funny.

Me too ID I never broke a spring either. You broke a beater...SHAFT? Whoa. Never even thought to carry a spare spring, as I carry a spare pedal, which I never had to use yet, in 8 years. I don't understand how a spring can break unless it's defective, which sounds like the case. Spring wire is hardened steel and tough stuff. When I hear of footboard snapping...I have to wonder how the heck that even happens.

Yup, Larry, the shaft was on the old Rogers pedal, if I remember right. Poked right through the head. It was YEARS ago...

Honestly, I thought broken springs would be a common occurrence due to the constant bending and stretching the metal endures. I guess I'm disappointed in mine breaking because that doesn't seem to be the case, with so many people (not just in this thread) saying they have never broken a spring.

In my experience with springs, not just drum pedals, but in several mechanical applications, it is common for a spring to lose tension over time, but not really so common for them to break. That's just been my experience, it's not like I've done a scientific study. But I have hand-me-down equipment with springs well over 50 years old...

Back