are Nylon tips more durable than Wood?

Ainulindale

Gold Member
i'am having trouble with breaking/chipping tips, i have always used wood tips, always looking down on those goofy nylon tips, but if they are more durable i might give them a try - or is there no real difference at all? is my playing to blame? and do they [nylon] sound the same?
thanks for any help guys!

They sound brighter. A lot more high-end in the sound.

Not sure if they're more durable, bits of them don't chip off, but the whole thing does seem to come off more easily.

They sound brighter. A lot more high-end in the sound.

Not sure if they're more durable, bits of them don't chip off, but the whole thing does seem to come off more easily.

i agree, and they also dont leave varnish marks on your cymbals that are hard polish off, just buy a good quality stick, the tips will stay on alot better than a no name brand, vic firth 5bn or 5bn xterme for me..

As a nylon tip user myself, i can tell you from experience, that they are very very good, one set of low end nylon sticks, lasted me 2years, I have used nylon tips for a long time(i switched from wood), and i have never had a tip come off the stick. The tips dont chip or mark usually(depending on if its a proper nylon tip and not a no brand crappy tip), they make the whole kit sound better quality if you ask me, i dont know why people would use wood :p

Nylon is much better than it was years ago. I play every day and have used Regal Tip sticks most of the time. I have not had one come off yet in two years plus of playing. I just got tired of wood tips getting flat spots although I do like the ping on the ride better than nylon. I just saw an ad for tips covered in felt and aluminum from Vic Firth that obviously have different applications that I will try when they are available. They are the Silver Bullet and the Soft Touch.

Im gonna get me some of those! :D

I've had nylon tips fly off, but not for... over 15 years. Somehow they're glued on much better than they used to be, and some companies guarantee the tip doesn't break or come off for the life of the drumstick. I haven't had one nylon tip come off my trusty ProMark 808's ever.

I keep one or two pairs of wood-tip sticks in the bag just in case I need that particular sound, which isn't often. Otherwise, nylons all the way.

thanks for all the replies guys!
i went and picked up some new sticks today, Promark 747's - hickory/wood, hickory/nylon, hickory/natural and Peart's - really like the size/feel so i'm just gonna try 'em all!

i'am having trouble with breaking/chipping tips, i have always used wood tips, always looking down on those goofy nylon tips, but if they are more durable i might give them a try - or is there no real difference at all? is my playing to blame? and do they [nylon] sound the same?
thanks for any help guys!

I, too, prefer wood tips as they have more bounce from cymbals, specifically the ride cymbal. However nylon tips are more durable and usually last longer than the rest of the stick. They will sound brighter on cymbals and will help to cut through louder music.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

We only had one nylon tip come off and something had to be wrong with the material used. I don’t recall the brand name but it was not one of the big boys. I can tell you that they were not glued on and actually molded around a smaller wood tip. Normally this would never happen given this molding process but in this case the nylon actually split telling me it was far to brittle to be used.
The reason we switched is I was tired of spending nearly 15 bucks for a new set of sticks every week or two for my son. The tips on VF’s we buy now have never had a problem and the tip always outlast the stick and he somtimes gets a month out of these.

ok guys, quick update on the testing of the 747's...
- natural (wood) - seem a little dull sticking the hats or ride and are very light, the varnish makes a difference in weight
- hickory (nylon) - i sanded the nylon tip like advised and although i liked the sound from the cymbals, i did'nt like the feel of the drums

to be con't...

I switched to Vater 5B(Nylons) a little while back because I was tired of breaking wood tips off of everything else I put my hands on. Although I like the overall feel and dulled down ride ping of wood tips, I like the longevity of nylons ten-fold. Certainly worth it to switch. I've only split a couple nylon tips in recent months and rarely lose one completely.

I switched to nylon tips a year ago. My reasons are that I couldn't get three days out of wood beaded sticks because they would flatten. My nylons are great and have that clean sound I want.

Also, in my playing time with them, nylons seem to be more responsive than wood. Especially since on a wood tipped stick, it "absorbs" and reduces the rebound. That's why the bead goes flat.

Also again, don't forget about different bead shapes. Different shapes mean differing rebound. Try to find a round or acorn beaded nylon stick and see if that does it for you.

I used to use VicFirth SD4's on the weekend house gig and got tired of wearing the wood tips down so much that they would start to sound really mushy. Switched to VF Dave Weckl sticks with nylon tips and have been very happy. They're a little heavier, but it saves a lot of money.

But for jazz, I still use the SD4 because they just sound better on the cymbals.

Oh, and I've never had one of the Weckl tips fly off! But have on other brands.

I switched to nylon tips a year ago. My reasons are that I couldn't get three days out of wood beaded sticks because they would flatten. My nylons are great and have that clean sound I want.

Also, in my playing time with them, nylons seem to be more responsive than wood. Especially since on a wood tipped stick, it "absorbs" and reduces the rebound. That's why the bead goes flat.

Also again, don't forget about different bead shapes. Different shapes mean differing rebound. Try to find a round or acorn beaded nylon stick and see if that does it for you.

i have never noticed the 'flatteneing' of wood tips, hmm? something to watch for...

i picked up 5B's from Promark, Vater and Zildjian - i'm wondering if the extra 1/4" or 1/2" of length is messing me up...

hunting for the right stick requires patience, gobs of it ;-)

Just gonna add my .02.
Nylon tips do make a different sound, specifically on the ride. I really like the sound, it makes your ride brighter and louder without as many overtones. The only times the nylon tips have popped off for me was a few pairs I've had would shoot off like a rocket it I hit the ride bell a bit hard. But other than that, I find they have a very desirable sound and rebound from a ride cymbal.

nylon tips don't break as easily as wood tips...

but when they do break, the whole thing usually comes off, unlike wood tips that usually just chip or flatten.

nylon tips have a brighter sound on cymbals, especially the ride, which I like.

Back