14 by 14" Floors Tom (Mounted)

Cymbals (Left to Right)
13.25" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Hats
20" Stagg "Dirty" Ride (I buried it!)
8" Stagg Myra Splash
16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
20" A Custom Projection Ride
17" A Custom Medium Crash

Heads: Remo Coated Ambassadors on Toms, White Dot on Snare, Clear Powerstroke on Kick

Hardware: Yamaha//Pearl

PS: My double Kick is getting repaired =(

Attachments

• drums 001.jpg
    drums 001.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 745
  • drums 002.jpg
    drums 002.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 744
  • drums 004.jpg
    drums 004.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 731
  • drums 009.jpg
    drums 009.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 736
Very nice kit!!!

Looks like you compose just off to the side...

Awesome kit. Shame that you've got to muffle it so much to get the 'right sound'. Choice of heads and good tuning should have been able to do the trick, IMO.

nice kit man, what made you go for Oak instead of birch or maple?
How do you like those hats by the way?

Had them about a year and a half now!
Yamaha Oak Customs
14 by 5.5" Snare
10 by 9" and 12 by 10" Rack Toms
14 by 14" Floors Tom (Mounted)

Cymbals (Left to Right)
13.25" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Hats
20" Stagg "Dirty" Ride (I buried it!)
8" Stagg Myra Splash
16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
20" A Custom Projection Ride
17" A Custom Medium Crash

Heads: Remo Coated Ambassadors on Toms, White Dot on Snare, Clear Powerstroke on Kick

Hardware: Yamaha//Pearl

PS: My double Kick is getting repaired =(

That first picture is a pretty good example of "business vs pleasure"...

I hope the red side wins... ; )

Awesome kit. Shame that you've got to muffle it so much to get the 'right sound'. Choice of heads and good tuning should have been able to do the trick, IMO.

I can believe that his small room + oak would be very bright. I tried a kit in a Seattle GC last April, and in many circumstances they are *super* cutting. I can only imagine the acoustics that close to the wall, and trying to record.

I can believe that his small room + oak would be very bright. I tried a kit in a Seattle GC last April, and in many circumstances they are *super* cutting. I can only imagine the acoustics that close to the wall, and trying to record.

You're right.

My point is, given the limitations of space and sound reflection etc.., if you're going to dampen it down to THIS extent, then frankly it doesn't matter what kit you play.

Its like buying a Lamborghini and re-fabing it to work like a Subaru.

I'm sure Henhog ( love that name .. ) has good reason, but it sure as hell breaks my heart to see a Yammie O muzzled like that : )

Nice stuff!! I like how your toms are tight and close to each other. How did that stagg ride end up sounding? What type of music do you play?

Its like buying a Lamborghini and re-fabing it to work like a Subaru.

I'm sure Henhog ( love that name .. ) has good reason, but it sure as hell breaks my heart to see a Yammie O muzzled like that : )

...bound and gagged like Hannibal Lechter on a hand-dolly...

That's the Red Sedona finish right? I have the same kit. I'm using Remo clear Emperors on the toms, no muffling except maybe a piece of moonjel on the floor tom in some rooms.

Enjoy, great sounding kit.

Hey Henhog Welcome to the Forum...Yeah, nice kit, too bad its in such tight quarters, that baby needs some room to run! Thanks for sharing.

I'm very curious... what effect did burying your ride have on it's sound? What did you bury it in? What is the aesthetic difference? How long did you leave it buried?

Nice stuff!! I like how your toms are tight and close to each other. How did that stagg ride end up sounding? What type of music do you play?

The Stagg ride was an old one I had lying around. I used to play alot of rock (hence the A custom projection ride) but recently I have been getting into Jazz. The big heavy A wasn't cutting it and I didn't want to have to buy another ride (im just buying my first car!) so I used it for a bit and thought it sounded alright - but still a little pingy. My friend saids that burying your cymbals exposes them to the elements and nutrients and stuff from the soil can make your pies sound darker. So I buried it for 3 months and when I dug it up it sounded trashyer and a little darker (i also looks more "jazzy"!). Im thinking I might bury it again soon and see if I can make it darker!

Wecome to the forum henhog, those are some beauty drums ya got there - Yammies are just excellent!
Good drumming man!

nice kit man, what made you go for Oak instead of birch or maple?
How do you like those hats by the way?

I liked the warm tone to the oaks, plus you don't really need to mike them cause they are loud man! The absolutes were a little about of my price range as well (cause I wanted to upgrade my cymbals too). I was going to get a Stage Custom, but I walked into my local drum shop and played the oaks, and I fell in love with them! and they were at a price I couldn't resist. The hats are great too. They have a nice 'Chick' and are quite bright. great for really tight funky stuff and you can just open them a couple of millimeters for a nice zap!

I liked the warm tone to the oaks, plus you don't really need to mike them cause they are loud man! The absolutes were a little about of my price range as well (cause I wanted to upgrade my cymbals too). I was going to get a Stage Custom, but I walked into my local drum shop and played the oaks, and I fell in love with them! and they were at a price I couldn't resist. The hats are great too. They have a nice 'Chick' and are quite bright. great for really tight funky stuff and you can just open them a couple of millimeters for a nice zap!

I also forgot to mention you have a great kit!

True story: I drafted up plans for building a Yamaha oak kit in the "Steve Smith" setup. I loved the power more than the maples or RC birch. I also liked the more affordable price. It would be the kit I was going to buy (In either york honey amber or silver sparkle) until Trick made me an offer I could not refuse.

Back