Phil Rudd

mattsamoto

Good thing I joined this forum. How can you have a list of drummers with no Phil Rudd.

The guy defines the word 'solid'.

he always reminds me that you can keep it simple and interesting. I think the album Highway to Hell has some of the most tasteful drumming.

Anyone else? Eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree...in the dictionary for the word "solid", Phil's picture should be right next to it!

The only way to describe Phil Rudd is "Simple Perfection". He doesn't do anything too fancy. He just does what fits perfect with the song. He is definately one of my favorite drummers. To bad he was gone from AC/DC for so long. He is back now but for the longest time it was Chris Slade and someone else I can't remember. The Razors edge was recorded using Chris Slade. Not that he wasn't a good drummer, but he was no Phil Rudd. I doubt rudd has ever used a splash in his life.

I love phils less is more attitude as it shows he aint in the band to be the star he is doing a drummers job and keep the timing solid etc

mattsamoto said:
Good thing I joined this forum. How can you have a list of drummers with no Phil Rudd.
Welcome to the DrummerWorld forum. This forum exists as an extension of the main DrummerWorld site, which of course has a page devoted entirely to Phill Rudd, including pictures, a biography, and a list of bands that he has played with.

i'm sorry guy's but i take exception to this ... i have worked long and hard ( as probably many of you have) to get to the cusp of being fairly professional only to have people praise a guy that keeps 2&4 mediocrely. It's like a meg white arguement.Just because they are in a popular band they get the world of drummers thrown at their feet.This really pisses me off.And don't say that he SERVES the music 'cause there is plenty of space in acdc's songs that a good fill would augment the song...

sorry guy's i never had the chance to finish my reply...that being said(what i said above)i still think that "BACK IN BLACK " is probably the one of the best rock albums ever.....i also thought "FLICK OF THE SWITCH " was their most underated....

bigbang said:
i'm sorry guy's but i take exception to this ... i have worked long and hard ( as probably many of you have) to get to the cusp of being fairly professional only to have people praise a guy that keeps 2&4 mediocrely. It's like a meg white arguement.Just because they are in a popular band they get the world of drummers thrown at their feet.This really pisses me off.And don't say that he SERVES the music 'cause there is plenty of space in acdc's songs that a good fill would augment the song...

If your a "fairly professional" drummer and you can't appreciate phil rudd then you have a long way to go sir.

I never really appreciated Phil Rudd until after I read an interview with Lars Ulrich where he talked about how Phil plays behind the beat alittle bit. I never knew this and then one day I heard AC/DC on the radio and it hit me how much he does play behind the beat alittle. It does so much for the song. By that alone you know whether it's him or not.

Nutha, it never occured to me that he doesn't use a ride :)

playing behind the beat is a crucial skill for drummers who want to sound fat. often what makes the ;less is more' drummers great is their abilty to play around the marker so subtly that it takes a good drummer to spot it but joe public just feels the sex groove there.

in rhythm mag a while ago they interviewd phill and he said he doesn't use a ride.
j

I remember my very first drum lesson sometime around 1980-81... my drum teacher goes through my records... pulls out AC/DC's Highway to Hell.

He started me just playing a simple 2 & 4, ever since Phill Rudd has been the back bone of my playing style.

i just got the album "let there be rock". he is VERY solid, and i noticed he keeps the high hat pedal going throughout. a sign that he really feels the beat. it's funny he doesn't use a ride, but then he doesn't seem to use any of his toms either most of the time. you can tell he is good from how perfect the start of "whole lotta rosie" sounds.

Intangibly great. Just play along with headphones and see why. He's just more proof why all the up and coming young chops-driven drummers need to just slow down a bit and figure out the 2&4 first.

I have always enjoyed playing along with AC/DC records or CD's (which ever era your from). Phil is very solid and creates such a great groove with Angus's guitar riffs. I am glad people are talking about him on this web site, I think a lot of drummers take him for granted.

there's something very professional about him, even though most of his stuff isn't too hard to play. you can tell he's really good, just by listening to his basic rock beat.
i can't quite place my finger on it...

Its knowing what not to play that makes Phil great. think of how the groove on Highway to Hell would have been ruined with a great Potnoyesque (new word alert) fill at the end of every verse. Its like Willy Nelson says about alot of singers, "Theyre trying to hard, just relax and sing"

Back