The Bonham set thread

I've just ordered a new custom kit from a guy based here in the uk, called Alan Gilby of Richmo Drums. In about three weeks, I'll have my dream kit, a 4 piece in red sparkle finish, sizes 28x18, 15x12 and 18x16. Obviously, I've got to have the remo coated emperor batters, with coated ambassadors resonant side. Yum! What a monster. I'm gonna go and reinforce my walls with steel now! lol! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

28x18!?!! Holy moly!

Be sure to post up some pics when it arrives!

I've just ordered a new custom kit from a guy based here in the uk, called Alan Gilby of Richmo Drums. In about three weeks, I'll have my dream kit, a 4 piece in red sparkle finish, sizes 28x18, 15x12 and 18x16. Obviously, I've got to have the remo coated emperor batters, with coated ambassadors resonant side. Yum! What a monster. I'm gonna go and reinforce my walls with steel now! lol! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

That kit come with its own zip code???? : ^ P

Haha! Almost. I've always wanted a bonham-esque kit, and being 14, well, they don't come cheap, so i built up my old mapex to a big double bass kit over 3 years and, then sold it to afford the custom Richmos. I'll try and post some pictures once i receive them. I've now changed the toms to 14x12, and 16x16. I'll order the 18" later this year. The only problem with pictures is fitting the bass drum in the frame!

Last edited:
I guess I'll post a few pictures of my kit. If you want the deets on the set up, go to the link in my signature.

DRUMk2.jpg

DRUMK.jpg

DRUMk1.gif

DRUMk4.gif

DRUM2.jpg

drum5.jpg

I'm pretty sure Bonham didn't play Axis pedals

I posted this recently in the "Your Gear" section but I just got my 26" bd on Tuesday. Until about a week ago I didn't even know Rogers made that size. Anyway, now my kit is this:

'68 Rogers in butcher block finish
10x14
16x16
16x18
(and a matching 14x24)

early 70s Rogers in New England white finish
14x26

'78 Ludwig alloy Supra
6.5x14

My plan is to re-wrap the whole kit in blue onyx, hopefully in a few months, and then I'll probably sell the 24" bd. I had my first band practice with the 26" last night. To my surprise it didn't feel entirely different from the 24". I sort of feel like a little kid sitting behind it, though. I'm still working on just the right tuning but I've got a coated Emperor/smooth white Ambassador with 3" felt strips on either side and it sounds pretty decent. Big yet controlled. I just switched from 2.5" felt to 3". It almost muffles it too much but I'm still playing with the placement.

So far I like it. It's a beast.

I KNOW this is probably a stupid observation but when you have the rack tom on a snare stand doesnt it put a lotta distance between the rack and the floor if you wanna go round the kit? I know its what you get used to but there seems to be some serious distance on some of these 'bonham rigs', and when I've seen the dvds of JB he has the snare stand as well as the rack fitting on the bass drum, is that for added stability or didnt he trust Luddies hardware??

I KNOW this is probably a stupid observation but when you have the rack tom on a snare stand doesnt it put a lotta distance between the rack and the floor if you wanna go round the kit? I know its what you get used to but there seems to be some serious distance on some of these 'bonham rigs', and when I've seen the dvds of JB he has the snare stand as well as the rack fitting on the bass drum, is that for added stability or didnt he trust Luddies hardware??

I got used to it. However when I do need to do some really fast triplets, or something similar, between 2 toms I use the 2 FTs for it.

Just a little update, I'll have my Richmo kit on tuesday, 2 days time! I had a little delay because part way through building them the supplier had a problem sending 28" hoops from the USA and i wanted a cymbal arm too, so that had to be ordered.

Ah well, I guess it's all worth it in the end eh? I can't wait. I'll post some quick pics before playing them.

works fine for me and I believe jb just used a snare stand for his first tom

Here's mine, poor picture i know, and the bass drum isn't exactly bonham but the toms are so here goes...Richmo1[edit].JPG

Specs:Custom Richmo Birch kit in Red Sparkle
28x18 bass drum w/ raw maple hoops and a cymbal arm
14x12 tom on snare stand
16x16 floor tom

Snare is a Limited Edition Mapex Black Panther 13x7, in honey amber over birdseye maple finish.
Enjoy!!!!!
:)

Last edited:
Here's mine, poor picture i know, and the bass drum isn't exactly bonham but the toms are so here goes...View attachment 13080

14x10 tom on snare stand
16x16 floor tom

Snare is a Limited Edition Mapex Black Panther 13x7, in honey amber over birdseye maple finish.
Enjoy!!!!!

awesome!

I have a maple kit much like that, but with a 26x18 and 13x9 and 14" deep floor tom, but its also red (stain though) with the large round lugs (mine are offset) and set up much like yours

you''ve got a killer kit man, i love my bass drum, i can only imagine how much fun a 28 is

The big misconception is that Bonzo always used a snare stand for his tom and that is false. The only kit he used a snare stand for the tom was his first Ludwig kit which was the maple kit. He used a Rogers swiv-o-matic mount plus a snare stand I feel for added stability because the tom was a 14"x 12". On the rest of his kits he used the Ludwig rail mount with no snare stand so I feel he did trust the Ludwig hardware. Then on his last kit which was the stainless steel kit he used the standard Ludwig "T" mount. With a snare stand there is a lot of distance between the tom and the floor toms, I say it's a personal preference. On my kit I mount the tom off of my cymbal stand which is really comfortable for me.

The big misconception is that Bonzo always used a snare stand for his tom and that is false. The only kit he used a snare stand for the tom was his first Ludwig kit which was the maple kit. He used a Rogers swiv-o-matic mount plus a snare stand I feel for added stability because the tom was a 14"x 12". On the rest of his kits he used the Ludwig rail mount with no snare stand so I feel he did trust the Ludwig hardware. Then on his last kit which was the stainless steel kit he used the standard Ludwig "T" mount. With a snare stand there is a lot of distance between the tom and the floor toms, I say it's a personal preference. On my kit I mount the tom off of my cymbal stand which is really comfortable for me.

The Rogers stuff was used by everybody there for a few years...Moon used TWO of them per kick drum to hold his 14x8 tuna cans.

Here's mine, poor picture i know, and the bass drum isn't exactly bonham but the toms are so here goes...View attachment 13080

14x10 tom on snare stand
16x16 floor tom

Enjoy!!!!!

That's a great looking kit. Very nice. You must have one hell of right leg.

I put some red felt in the resonant side of the 28 yesterday, to slightly shorten the boom, and get a reasonable amount of definition. It's really got that bonham sound now, good job i really do thump it good.
It's strange really, when you hear bonham on recording, cos' you think "that sounds great", but it's even better when you're the one making the noise!

Rock on!!!!

Back