iPad, is there something wrong with me

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So is it weird that I don't really want an iPad? I got my wife one for Christmas and it's cool but I'd rather use my laptop, bigger screen, full keyboard which makes it easier to type on. I can't imagine posting long replies or threads on a touch screen tablet. I'm using hers now just to try it. She got one for my birthday today and I don't know, just not really geeked about. It. Is there something wrong with me?

I know she was excited about getting it for me and I didn't give her the reaction she was hoping for. Didn't mean to hurt her feelings. I know I mentioned to her after I got hers that they were neat but couldn't really see myself using one. A laptop just seems way more practical and useful to me

Its a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 4S for me. No iPad!
I couldn't see the need to own one either.

I had the first one and now I have the mini. I like that it's bigger than my phone and smaller than my laptop. I type on my phone all of the time so doing the same on an iPad is no problem.

I had the first one and now I have the mini. I like that it's bigger than my phone and smaller than my laptop. I type on my phone all of the time so doing the same on an iPad is no problem.

I type on my phone all the time as well, just can't see typing like that all the time. I'm use to a 17" monitor with a full size keyboard. I actually know how to type so hunting and pecking on a tablet gets frustrating.

i use my ipad for rehearsal all the time, as well as for set lists, midi control and keeping notes from performing. I dont want to drag a laptop and the iphone is too small.

I type on my phone all the time as well, just can't see typing like that all the time. I'm use to a 17" monitor with a full size keyboard. I actually know how to type so hunting and pecking on a tablet gets frustrating.

If I am at home, it's my iMac. At work it's my phone or iPad if I have it with me.

It's a well known fact on here that I sleep with my beloved iPad under the pillow. So yes, there's clearly something wrong with you but definitely not with me!

It's a well known fact on here that I sleep with my beloved iPad under the pillow. So yes, there's clearly something wrong with you but definitely not with me!

That's what I thought LOL!!

So we talked about it and ended up taking it back today. I'd rather have something that I'm going to use and enjoy using. Would hate to keep it and not use it which I wouldn't. Using hers for about a half hour on here and another forum drove me absolutely nuts trying to type on it and surf the web. Give me a laptop with a real keyboard! I play for my church and really don't plan on joining the bar band scene again. Did that for a while and I'm done with it. So sampling and triggering isn't a concern.

Gonna put that money towards something else drum related like helping pay for mic's or a mixer or possibly another RC Copter or two.

When I returned it I asked the guy if I was the first person in history to return and Ipad (since everyone seems to love them) and he said no it happens all the time. Some return them for reasons just like me that prefer a traditional computer and some that have tablets that think an ipad would be better because it's more expensive and they find out differently sometimes.

I bought an iPad 3 years ago, and it's fun, but I already knew it wasn't designed to replace a laptop. Its portability and range of apps is a treat, so it shines in areas that a normal laptop can't. But in terms of doing any productive work, I still need a laptop. When I'd go on the road, I take both. However, on last October's tour, I had an iPhone - my first - and left the iPad at home. :)

I do find that adding a bluetooth keyboard helps immensely with both typing, and navigation. the up.down arrows make it easier to select when copying elements, and allow precise cursor positioning. The F keys operate as they do on a Mac keyboard (volume, display brightness) etc. for just about all of the keys. Those keyboards also work perfectly on the iPhone for major text/email users who are tired of sore thumbs. :)

So I still pick up the iPad now and then, but it never goes anywhere with me. The laptop and iPhone do more than I need.

Bermuda

So we talked about it and ended up taking it back today. I'd rather have something that I'm going to use and enjoy using.

All's well that ends well. Happy birthday!

I think they're a bit silly too.

But I just got a cheap 7" pad (pendo pad) recently and I uploaded all my pdf's and it's really good for drum notation and reading in general.

If I'm going to sit on the internet I'd rather be on a keyboard with a mouse, speakers and my hands free to rest in my lap if I'm watching something.

An iPad changed my Dad's life for the better. It made work much easier for him and meant he ended up being able to come home out of the office, as well as using it for navigation charts when he went out on the river.

For me? I'm a laptop guy. I like tablets (and particularly iPads) but I don't have a use-case that warrants one. Mobile Internet over 3G would be great on a tablet but my phone will (just about) suffice when I need to Google something.

I've seen them used very well though. One of my friends is in a cover band and the band leader/singer and bassist all have an iPad on their mic stands. It just helps smooth any issues out by having chord charts and lyrics on there should there be an issue. They also have a footswitch wired up to change between the charts. It's a great use of the technology and means they can perform more songs and perform them better.

iPad? iPad?!?! We don't need no steeeeenkin' iPad!!! I've got a 27" monitor!

Seriously though, I've been using an iPad for work, basically seeing how we can use it in the classroom/lab environment. It's nice enough for some things but as far as I can tell, for our purposes (college engineering-technology majors) a laptop makes a lot more sense.

I am really blown away by the responses here. I've been in the hi tech field since its infancy. I can tell you that each device made has a purpose and each is a tool. If you think an ipad is a toy, you are very mistaken. I do not work for apple.

Simply put, if you want a computer, you buy a computer. An ipad is not a laptop nor is it a full fledged computer. It is not designed to be that. It is a tool designed to be small/portable, with a much longer battery life than a portable computer, and very simple to use. Be it to use as a teleprompter or control a mixing board from across the room, or as an interface to a supercomputer, to read a manual, a training aid, or whatever. Yes, kids play with them because there are a lot of games. We, as adults, are lucky that is that case, because that keeps demand up and costs down, just like certain things have always done which keep demand for computers high. Take some time and look at the apps available on an ipad for commercial things. There are a lot even in the music industry. Some are simple and some complex. All are very useful. Those apps, though, are truly next generation and not something you would use a laptop or desktop for. The latest trends are to plug your your whole ipad into a device and make it part of that device.

I recall the same type of responses here about pad devices that were voiced in the past, like 'cell phones are a fad and i will always use my desk phones', 'CDs cannot be used to replace tapes', 'Mpegs will never replace CDs', 'email wont ever be used except by few' and 'flat screens will never replace my CRT'

Google 'ipads in business' and read articles from bloomburg, nytimes, stanford medical, pcmag, and even Microsoft.

soap box mode off.

In my case I decided that it would be two costly for me to own a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, and an iPad along with supporting a 3G data plan for both my iPhone and my iPad. I decided that the MacBook and the iPhone was what I would use the most so I declined buying an iPad.

I am really blown away by the responses here. I've been in the hi tech field since its infancy. I can tell you that each device made has a purpose and each is a tool. If you think an ipad is a toy, you are very mistaken. I do not work for apple.

Simply put, if you want a computer, you buy a computer. An ipad is not a laptop nor is it a full fledged computer. It is not designed to be that. It is a tool designed to be small/portable, with a much longer battery life than a portable computer, and very simple to use. Be it to use as a teleprompter or control a mixing board from across the room, or as an interface to a supercomputer, to read a manual, a training aid, or whatever. Yes, kids play with them because there are a lot of games. We, as adults, are lucky that is that case, because that keeps demand up and costs down, just like certain things have always done which keep demand for computers high. Take some time and look at the apps available on an ipad for commercial things. There are a lot even in the music industry. Some are simple and some complex. All are very useful. Those apps, though, are truly next generation and not something you would use a laptop or desktop for. The latest trends are to plug your your whole ipad into a device and make it part of that device.

I recall the same type of responses here about pad devices that were voiced in the past, like 'cell phones are a fad and i will always use my desk phones', 'CDs cannot be used to replace tapes', 'Mpegs will never replace CDs', 'email wont ever be used except by few' and 'flat screens will never replace my CRT'

Google 'ipads in business' and read articles from bloomburg, nytimes, stanford medical, pcmag, and even Microsoft.

soap box mode off.

I have been in the tech field a few decades myself. I find the responses in this thread to be most reasonable. Some people love their iPads and get great use from them. Some are less impressed. Yours is the only response that I have a problem with.

I most strongly disagree that "All are very useful". I have found many many many to be absolute crap. I just googled "flashlight app for ipad" and got over 4.8 MILLION results (https://www.google.com/search?q=fla...fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp). Do we really think that all of those are good and necessary?

As far as all your other tech examples, I could just as easily point out that people still read books, and magazines and newspapers. And although some periodicals may be in their death throes, the internet actually initially spawned a lot more publications. I listen to the radio every day, along with a few billion other people, even though some were declaring it dead in the 1950's. I own four bicycles that I occasionally use, even though I also own two cars. Much as I try to avoid it, I still have to use pen and paper sometimes. Also, there appears to still be a contingent of misfits who pound wooden sticks on brass plates and membranes stretched across wooden tubs when they could just as easily be dancing their fingers across "Maschines". I can also remember when all the tech pundits in the early 2000's were saying that the 'mobile' internet was where everything was headed, and only cavemen and luddites would still be sitting at desktop computers. Hmm, well it is 10 years later, and I guess I just have to say "ooga oooga grok".

Not all new technology completely replaces older technologies. Why do we still have desktop computers? Laptops can do absolutely everything any desktop can, but people still buy desktops. (A: they're cheaper). Tablets are wonderful devices for many people and many applications, but desktops/laptops seem to still have a future to me. You will always pay a premium for a tablet over a similarly capable laptop and more over a similarly capable desktop, simply because it is more difficult to stuff all that tech into smaller packages. Also, for many of us, we want a full-size keyboard and a mouse and a big screen. We certainly could get those as add-ons for a tablet, but, the desktop would be a better decision if don't really have any need for a tablet.

I love my ipad. Simple easy to use. I use it for play as well as work. Sometimes I need to find a info tech sheet for a product or some sort of manual. The iPad is great for this. I can use my phone to but the iPad is still a bit easier. I don't feel like lugging around a laptop. Even a small one. BTW my old laptop was a Mac with a 13" screen.

I also have a nice Bluetooth key board if needed. I see tablets used all the time now in the professional work place as well as in the corporate world. They are here to stay.

Don't bother getting one with a cell number either. Lots of places offer free wifi and most smart phone providers offer free hotspot services on phones.

My wife has a Samsung note 8 tablet, sweet little unit. Cost about 250 bucks.

BTW, I use my flash light app on my phone all the time.

Back