The Beer Thread

Lmao. Yessir. It was bought out by someone, I can't remember who, and went from decent to horrible.

Ahhhhh Yes.And Rolling Rock Premium.When I was 16,that stuff was pi$$ water and cost 2.50 a case of 24.The Yuppie crowd discoverd it in the 80's,and wam......5 bucks a bottle.:)

Steve B

If you find yourself in Eugene or Portland, Ore. look up a McMinnimans Pub(High Street Cafe in Eugene, Rams Head in Portland are my favorites)

Try out the Ruby Red...but if you are a fan of heavy dark beers like Guiness, try out the Terminator Stout...mmmmm....has nice rich coffee overtones.

Arrogant-Bastard2.png

For some reason I can't pin-point, this beer seems to fit me.

I'm shocked Doc.:) It kind of reminds me of the same thing I think about when I drive past one of the Budweiser breweries in New Jersey.The place is HUGE.

Even doing 60 MPH,it takes you over 30 seconds to drive past it.Over 3200 feet long.

Steve B

Has anyone gotten their hands on the "Clutch beer"?

clutch-beer-bottle.jpg

Looks/sounds really good, and I love Fat Tire and a few others by the same brewer.

There's also a brewer in texas making some amazing stuff:

This: http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/divine_9.html

Was/is my very favorite beer in the whole world. Too bad they only made 1500 cases, and my reserve bottle is probably one of the few left in existence. Saving it for something special.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the "Clutch beer"?

Yea... I had a bottle a year or two ago. The bottle is in my basement next to two empty Zappa beer bottles, a King Crimson bottle and an Ozzy bottle.

The last two may just be coincidental names, or homages... but they fit my little collection ;)

5800045093_6325b3d01f.jpg

beer_16745.jpg

peak-organic-king-crimson.jpg

The Ozzy is by Brewer's Art, a local brewery. Aside from having an awesome name, its a great belgian triple iirc.

And? How the hell was it? Worth some work to get a bottle on my part?

Ohh my bad, I misread, I thought you had tried it already.

I honestly don't remember, I only had one bottle, and it was a year or two ago. But iirc it was a maltier beer which generally isn't my thing, plus I've never been crazy about any New Belgium that I've had...

I'm shocked Doc.:) It kind of reminds me of the same thing I think about when I drive past one of the Budweiser breweries in New Jersey.The place is HUGE.

Even doing 60 MPH,it takes you over 30 seconds to drive past it.Over 3200 feet long.

Steve B

That's crazy! There's a bud brewery in my hometown, but it's not that size. My dad was an engineer for several years there, actually. A common beer-enthusiast joke here is to say "I only drink local beer", referring to Bud Light. :p

Yea... I had a bottle a year or two ago. The bottle is in my basement next to two empty Zappa beer bottles, a King Crimson bottle and an Ozzy bottle.

The last two may just be coincidental names, or homages... but they fit my little collection ;)

5800045093_6325b3d01f.jpg

beer_16745.jpg

peak-organic-king-crimson.jpg

The Ozzy is by Brewer's Art, a local brewery. Aside from having an awesome name, its a great belgian triple iirc.

Nice! There's a local...I guess they'd be considered macro brew here that does a couple metal influenced beers...
ninkasi-maiden-the-shade.jpg

ninkasi_sleighr1.jpg

Not too big a fan of the Sleigher, but Maiden In The Shade is quite nice. My current favorite is Gearhead IPA by Laurlwood Brewery...I don't so much care for the Portland bikers, but I sure love this beer.

Nice! There's a local...I guess they'd be considered macro brew here that does a couple metal influenced beers...
Not too big a fan of the Sleigher, but Maiden In The Shade is quite nice. My current favorite is Gearhead IPA by Laurlwood Brewery...I don't so much care for the Portland bikers, but I sure love this beer.

Ooo.. I gotta get my hands on those. The Maiden one esp sounds good.

I'm particularly fond of Lagunitas "Imperial Stout"
ABV: 9.9% and so easy to drink.

I used to love beer but got sick of never actually owning any, just renting it.

I prefer a good single malt scotch, but I do like a beer now and then, as well.

I like IPAs best, with Pyramid Brewery's Outburst being my all time favorite. Sierra Nevada's Torpedo is another good one. At one time I drank quite a few Foster's Special Bitters, but I haven't had one in years. Somebody mentioned Kona - their Fire Rock ale is quite good, too.

I would rather go thirsty than drink a Budweiser. I absolutely do not understand it's appeal, never have. I'd much rather have a Pabst if I'm gonna drink cheap. At least it has a flavor...

I had the new Budweiser "Black Crown" beer last night. It's awful. Of course everyone was freaking out because "bro, it's 6% alcohol!!" This beer made me want a Bud Light (that's how bad it is).

Patriotism aside, I have to confess, the Belgians have everyone beat to a pulp here. Leffe blonde or brune for the hop heads amongst you. Twice the strength of most beers (that's about 3,000 x the strength of Budweiser or most other commercial American beers), but it's Leffe's balance of flavours that sets it apart from almost anything else on the planet. Beautiful stuff, but don't drink too much of it.

About the only close to drinkable commercial American beer I've found is Sam Adams, although most micro breweries come up with the occasional half reasonable brew.

As for you Oz guys sir Pocket, you chill the crap out of everything because you have no concept of ales, stouts, or bitters. You're limited to largers, & most of it is so acrid it needs chilling - badly. I'll tip my hat to you upsidedownies though, at least your larger's better than most of the US commercially branded fizzy piss ;)

I know the belgians are widely considered the beer kings. But I just find their stuff over-the -top. The alcohol content just makes the taste and aromas a tad "heated". It overpowers the subtler natural flavours. They are quite brutish beers in a way, lacking in finesse IMO.

Disclaimer: I like to drink Chablis (for those who know what this is)

I find British real ales like lower-alcohol Bitters and Milds can be very nice. But unfortunately 95% of them are either watery, lacking freshness, non-descript and just a complete turn-off (like most pubs in fact).
But find a nice pub where the landlord and the clientele care, and you will find very fresh real ales with low alcohol but lots of character. I outright reject the idea that a beer must have higher alcohol in order to have character. Unfortunately, these traditional real ales have never travelled well and hence have never conquered a wider market.

German and Czech beers are great for pure and crisp beers with a more understated, even subtle, character. Again, many of them seem to be fairly generic but there are even mass producers that make beer with a distinct character. It's a good combination of quality, low price, and subtle but enjoyable character.

The current craft beer craze in North America (and elsewhere) unfortunately serves up many high-alcohol beers that are overly hoppy and quite unbalanced IMO. These are beers that are meant to be "assertive" and "flattering" in their character in a bid to convince consumers that have not yet developed a more sophistacated palate.

No offense intended to all the beer afficionados the world over that have long appreciated beer. But even in historic craft brew countries like the UK I see a trend towards beer that is "exaggerated" in its "qualities".

It's the equivalent of very ripe, heavily oaked full bodied wines that are designed to smother your palate. Give me a glass of Chablis over that any day.

Don't take my opinions as being smug. I have spent 20 years refining my tastes in beer (well, a few of those years was spent drinking rather than tasting...)

I'm all about the German beers these days, and British. I've done several tours in Belgium, and can never quite get the hang of the beer-- too alcoholic, and what you said MS. I am a fan of Orval, and some of the blondes-- Grimbergen, Tongerlo. Belgian pubs have their own style and vibe, which I really like.

I'm also totally not into my own regional thing-- pretty much totally fed up with citrusy unbalanced IPAs, and the fact that they're 90% of what's available.

I love beer. Too bad it's only ever rented.

Last edited:
Back