Do different models of double pedals actually 'feel' different?

T-1000

Obviously the best way to find this out would be to try them out myself, but I have to make an extremely long journey to my nearest drum shop in order to try them, and there's no guarantee they'd have the models I'm interested in stock.

So this is more a general question - do different top end double pedals (or single pedals for that matter) actually feel different?

I think I remember one review where the reviewer said that some pedals were 'wired' for a light and quick feel , and some felt more solid and powerful...

If that is so, can you guys give some sort of continuum so I know which models feel lighter and quicker (eg. Iron Cobra? DW5000?), and which feel heavier and more powerful (eg. Demon Drive? Mapex models?)?

Thanks in advance!!

They do feel different, largely because of the shape of the cam. Obviously the beater weight makes a difference, as does the spring tension, but you can change those. In my limited experience DW pedals feel heavy, Tama pedals somewhat less so, and Pearl pedals a bit less heavy still.

They do feel different, largely because of the shape of the cam. Obviously the beater weight makes a difference, as does the spring tension, but you can change those. In my limited experience DW pedals feel heavy, Tama pedals somewhat less so, and Pearl pedals a bit less heavy still.

I disagree with this, I found that Pearl pedals were the heaviest, with the 5000's lighter, and the iron cobras lighter still, but I suppose people have different legs and require different pedals to be different weights to be comfortable for them to use

I disagree with this,

Which is exactly the reason why the best advice given on these forums is, get yer feet on 'em.

"Feel" is completely subjective. What suits one, won't always suit the other. For best results, the OP needs to take the drive........regardless of how far it is. Only way he's gonna know what he likes.

I disagree with this, I found that Pearl pedals were the heaviest, with the 5000's lighter, and the iron cobras lighter still, but I suppose people have different legs and require different pedals to be different weights to be comfortable for them to use

Haha, and I have heard that the Iron Cobras feel heavy and the Demon Drive feels light!?

Haha, and I have heard that the Iron Cobras feel heavy and the Demon Drive feels light!?

I was comparing chain pedals, as in the 5000's the iron cobras and the eliminators :) I haven't played the demon drives sadly.

But yeah, I agree with the above, stick yo' feet on em and find your favourite :D

Yes, every pedal has a unique feel.

I have only played on a small number of pedals, but from my experience:
- Pearl Demon Drives are smooth, but have a heavy feel (even after adjustments)
- Axis pedals are ultra light in feel, and are super quick. It is a feel that took me months to get used to.
- Yamaha pedals seem to have a bit more of a 'whip' feel to them, at least the ones I've tried.

If you want a fast pedal, you should probably look at models with a direct link as opposed to a chain drive. (Axis, Pearl Demon Drives) And if you want a pedal with power go for a chain driven pedal such as the DWs.

But as PocketfullOfGold said, you really just have to try them out.

an emphatic HELL YES. Try a Dw5000 then try a Trick or Axis pedal....nuff said.

F

So do people generally feel that the DW5000's are the 'heavy' feeling pedals?

And direct drives are generally lighter feeling? What about belt drive, they would be the most whippy, I'd imagine?

I know the best thing to do is to actually try them out, but, as I said, that is a hell of a long drive for me, and I'd like to just keep hearing several short impressions of the feel of different pedals in this thread!

an emphatic HELL YES. Try a Dw5000 then try a Trick or Axis pedal....nuff said.

F

I did just that. You have to consider:

-Long board vs short board
-Cam shape (or Tricks Internal spring)
-strap vs chain vs direct drive
-beater weight and shape

F'n night and day sometimes.

I think Larry said it best. It's not what you play, but how you play it.

Back