Do drummers make good dancers?

Not all of us do, Toddy!

you're right polly, not all ladies have the confidence to dance in public, but i think the majority would like to! most ladies i've met have watched dirty dancing at least once.. :)

No, the only way we can keep a beat is to hit something with a stick which is not good for the person we are dancing with.

No, the only way we can keep a beat is to hit something with a stick which is not good for the person we are dancing with.

haha, sarcasm detector code red.
you guys need to go to dance gigs or carnivals or something.
if you want to learn 'how to move' then join a latin band and play the clave, and then watch how the pretty ladies dance in the street and copy them ;)

you're right polly, not all ladies have the confidence to dance in public, but i think the majority would like to! most ladies i've met have watched dirty dancing at least once.. :)

Twice here :) Always liked Patrick Swayze. I can't copy those Latin dancers because they shake their bazookas around and if I did that I'd either fall over or take someone's eye out ...

Twice here :) Always liked Patrick Swayze. I can't copy those Latin dancers because they shake their bazookas around and if I did that I'd either fall over or take someone's eye out ...

Haha! yeah patrick swayze is such a dude. i lol at my friends that have problems with women. they should just watch that film and pick up some tips ;-)

as for dancing, i can't think of anything easier! a drummer provides the rhythm, i can't understand not being able to dance to what you play. (i mean those who literally can't feel the pulse, not those that are shy/embarrassed/a combination of the two). :)

Haha! yeah patrick swayze is such a dude. i lol at my friends that have problems with women. they should just watch that film and pick up some tips ;-)

as for dancing, i can't think of anything easier! a drummer provides the rhythm, i can't understand not being able to dance to what you play. (i mean those who literally can't feel the pulse, not those that are shy/embarrassed/a combination of the two). :)

That's the thing, Toddy. There's no doubt that we all have rhythm, just that if we try to express it with our bodies (rather than with hands, sticks and foot pedals) we are ... inelegant.

that's true, but you can only find elegance through practice and a whole lot of failure. i think elegance is worth it in the end though! :)

Errh, lets just say the only other drummer i know should stick to drumming at least he`s good at one thing. Lol..

that's true, but you can only find elegance through practice and a whole lot of failure. i think elegance is worth it in the end though! :)

I'd like to learn how to dance... but not this stupid flailing your arms around and gyrating your pelvis that I see in dance clubs these days. I'd like to learn some proper dancing: salsa, waltz, cha-cha-cha etc.

Yes! I was literally just thinking this just recently. If you are an experienced drummer you most likely have a great sense of rhythm and feel. This translates to how you can move your body. when every I dance with girls where ever I may be, i always notice that I am right on time with the music. Also, I go in "half time" dancing with girls. And i have had a few comments saying i was a good dancer

Actually, dancing does have paradiddles, as in the Tap left foot, right foot shuffle/slide. Dance is broken into steps, combinations and patterns, (choreography) just like drumming. If you watch closely, especially with jazz, you'll see the same combinations repeated over and over. If you can learn to drum, you can learn to dance. Really!! Just have to break it down into manageable steps and practice.

If you can learn to drum, you can learn to dance. Really!! Just have to break it down into manageable steps and practice.

I agree. And I would be surprised if most drummers could not be good dancers, after all we are the epicenter of the rythm section, are we not? Good dancing requires alot of muscle strength, though, moreso than drumming. I figure that's why alot of drummers complain they have no rythm to dance or what not. The more tired you get, the more you lose the proper coordination and mechanics, just like on the drum set. Older folks like myself just have to stick to slower moves, lol.

i really want to learn flamenco in the future. it looks uber crazy (spanish ladies) and i have a feeling it's very good for leg muscles.

I am a good dancer myself. My mom enrolled me into dance lessons when I was 5 and I kept up with it until I started playing drums when I was 12.

Dancing taught me alot of things that really helped me to learn drums like:
my left from my right
how to perform infront of a crowd
rhythm
basic pulses of different dance styles.
I would also say I learned how to swing from dancing too.

I think it comes out in my playing to this day. I most often get compliments from other musicians that when I am playing people get up and DANCE. I just have a really strong down beat on the 1 & 3 or even 4 on the floor. I also try not to complicate things with fills especially when people are clapping along or dancing to the beat.

I don't dance much these days, but whenever I do it's always funny to turn heads because most people don't expect it from me.

Back