Keith Carlock

Wow, he really lost some pounds!! I hope he is healthy actually?

By the way, does anyone know what cymbals he uses exactly?

It's true, he's looking REALLY good. When I saw him last year he sweat up a storm, and I assumed at least half of it was due to his weight.

Great clips: thanks for posting. For those of you worried about Keith, just know that Hudson filmed the DVD before the Summer and he got married in November! Who doesn't want to drop a couple of pounds before wedding photos immortalize you!

Paul

Re: Keith Carlock v. Steve Gadd

Hey, Keith isn't trying to replace anyone, in fact, Gadd is one of his favorites too...of course, I like Keltner and Gordon. Keith has a style of his own...like all the greats before him. Katy Lied is my favorite..;) Isn't that Jeff P.?

This doesn't make any sense to me. Keith only exists because of Steve Gadd, and the greats before him. He has a style that is very much HIS, but it comes out of Gadd. The entire swampy marching feel that Keith is using was brought to us by Gadd in the 70s. Keith VS Gadd, is not fair to Keith. He'll always lose. Keith would sound completely different had Gadd not existed.
That brings me to people asking question's about Keith's sound. This is a problem if you're a real drummer. Keith's sound/set-up/feel, is his. YOU should get your own. Keith Carlock already exists. Music is a form of art, where only the original can survive. Be yourself.

Re: Keith Carlock v. Steve Gadd

Music is a form of art, where only the original can survive.

That's a noodle scratcher ;)

Agree with your sentiment though, Carlock is such an inspirational player to listen to, it's pretty understandable to want to do what he's doing.

He's a rich vine of idea grapes to pick from though.

If you're a drummer who's checked out Gadd, Weckl and even Elvin Jones, you already know what he's doing. He plays nothing complex, it's all attitude and feel. It's the "WAY" he plays those things. So let's you learn Keith's licks? Then what? In the scene of music, people can call Keith for gigs. Keith works for $100 at 55 bar and $50 at the Bitter End in NYC. Why would they call you when they can get Keith?Playing like someone means nothing in the big leagues. Be yourself. Now if you have a totally different approach to the music, then...they'll call you. Because Keith can only do Keith. He can't do..YOU..

If you're a drummer who's checked out Gadd, Weckl and even Elvin Jones, you already know what he's doing. He plays nothing complex, it's all attitude and feel. It's the "WAY" he plays those things. So let's you learn Keith's licks? Then what? In the scene of music, people can call Keith for gigs. Keith works for $100 at 55 bar and $50 at the Bitter End in NYC. Why would they call you when they can get Keith?Playing like someone means nothing in the big leagues. Be yourself. Now if you have a totally different approach to the music, then...they'll call you. Because Keith can only do Keith. He can't do..YOU..

If Keith works for $100 at 55 Bar or $50 at the Bitter End I would be very surprised. I think most people here know that we have to play like ourselves. By they way, Keith does play some pretty complex pieces because..."Keith can only do Keith."

If Keith works for $100 at 55 Bar or $50 at the Bitter End I would be very surprised.

lol yes. If that is the case, he can keep his style, because i'm earning more with mine :)
Again Drumbob, you make your point earnestly, but to my mind Carlock would be one of the very hardest drummers to clone for the very reason that his feel is so unique. And i'd have to applaud your own ability when you suggest that he plays nothing complex - it's some of the very hardest material i've ever looked at. I just don't think the music scene is going to become overrun with players who sound just like Carlock. Influenced by most certainly.

The hand and foot patterns are regurgitated Gadd and Elvin. If you do some study in the field of the 2nd line rhythm you'll find much of Carlock there too. And..you haven't been to New York recently. There you would see the clones that have been watching Keith since his arrival in the 90s. The best is when you see young drummers setting up like him, when they're much shorter, and can barely reach the drums. LOL!!!

Keith Carlock - The Big Picture

Hi Guys - Keith's new DVD is a MUST see.

I got it last week and it's AWESOME.

Unfortunately though the 1st disk somehow got scratched and plays but I cannot access the 'eBook' file on it.

Can someone with the DVD PM me and possibly email it to me...?

Cheers guys!

Keith goes on tour with John Mayer - a big name gig again....

So he has to cancel the Fantasy Camp...

Bernhard

I picked up the Carlock DVD last night and he is awesome.

His left hand and foot are off the hook. Fantastic drummer!!!

Back