Protection Racket - Worth It?

Paul_Klein

I need to buy a new bass drum case to replace my old crappy one that has been shredded to tatters. I'd love to buy a fairly high-end soft case, and I've heard great things about Protection Racket. I can get a 22x18 case for about $100.

Anyone have any experience with these cases? Are there better alternatives?

I have a cymbal bag and a hardware bag made by Protection Racket and the quality of those bags are second to none. I use hard cases for my drums, but if I was looking for soft cases, I would definitely consider Protection Racket.

I use one for my bass drum. Great bag. My only gripe is that it only has one handle so if that breaks it might be a bit difficult to transport. But it is made really well. Also mine is older so the new ones may have changed?

I just got protection racket bags for my whole kit and there easily the best soft bags money can buy and the bass drum bag they do now has a handle on either side and a third one soo you can pick it up with one hand, but yeh if you get em you wont regret it.

Their deluxe cymbal bag is the best I've ever seen. Very well made.

i have a full set amazing cases, and 2B the bass drum cases have hand grips on the side

Those cases are sick!
Really padded and nice shape that stays on even when they're empty. I just got the cymbal bag with individual wool-like cymbal sleeves. Really worth every penny. Plenty of room. Nice straps.

I'll be soon buying the full bag kit for my set. I asked for a quote at Boston Drum Center. It was about 250$ shipped to Canada for a full 4 piece. Pretty nice.

Best soft cases money can buy. I've got cymbal cases, drum cases, and the big duffle rolling gear case. Now if I only had a place to put my money....

Oh yeah, they make wallets too....

Cheers!

definately the best soft casing. I have full kit cases, cymbal bag and hardware bag, so very tough! You cant go wrong with them! Ive dropped my snare loads of times and its never damaged in anyway at all! Just brilliant, If anyone tells you to have hard cases, slap them. thats just retarded unless your pro, then you dont have to lug them round....although alot of pros still go with protection racket....or is that just marketing stratergies.....hmmmm

^ Soft bags are best if you're bringing the drums yourself in your own vehicle. But if they have to ride in the band truck, cases are better.

Excellent soft cases.. I have them for my entire 6-pc drumkit and a deluxe cymbal bag.

If anyone tells you to have hard cases, slap them. thats just retarded unless your pro, then you dont have to lug them round

Disagree with this as a blanket statement. I was never a 'pro' but i was gigging actively until about 5 years ago. Given the amount of gear jammed into the back of the band vehicle - and then seeing how it arrived at gigs after turning corners and over speed humps etc (amps toppled onto bass drum cases and the like), i would never have dreamed of using soft cases.

^ Soft bags are best if you're bringing the drums yourself in your own vehicle. But if they have to ride in the band truck, cases are better.

For this situation^^^, I always had peice of mind. I'm not anti soft cases at all, but you don't need to be a pro to want to give your gear the best protection. It all depends on your circumstances when transporting them.

i have a full set amazing cases, and 2B the bass drum cases have hand grips on the side

They must have changed them. Mine only has the 1 handle. Don't get me wrong, the bag is great.

Disagree with this as a blanket statement. I was never a 'pro' but i was gigging actively until about 5 years ago. Given the amount of gear jammed into the back of the band vehicle - and then seeing how it arrived at gigs after turning corners and over speed humps etc (amps toppled onto bass drum cases and the like), i would never have dreamed of using soft cases.

For this situation^^^, I always had peice of mind. I'm not anti soft cases at all, but you don't need to be a pro to want to give your gear the best protection. It all depends on your circumstances when transporting them.

Well i gig a twice a week usually, we put all our gear in the back of our van and ive NEVER had problems, dropped my snare so many times, not damage, no scratches, nothing! So if your amps were falling everywhere, maybe you should of packed it properly? We have nothing toppel over onto anything ever! Hard case are stupid;ly heavy, thats why i said if your pro, it doesnt matter because someone can carry it for you!! so go with the protection racket mate! lol

Is sounds like this is becoming a cases vs. bags thread. I've never owned bags. I've seen one too many drummers wrestling with their bags trying to get the drums inside them (especially the bass drum) as the bag flops and bends. I'll take a hard case everytime.
I've got SKB cases and LOVE them. I know they're pretty expensive but they're unconditionally guaranteed for life. For eight years my current kit has been traveling back and forth from gigs to practice to home, being tossed around, shoved and crammed into tight spots and the hard cases have kept them looking brand new. Plus, you can stack them to the ceiling to save storage space without worry that they'll tip over.
Bags are great for the drummer on a budget but if you have the means, I'd highly recommend picking up some hard cases. I think we can all agree that you absolutely shouldn't be without one or the other, though.

Well i gig a twice a week usually, we put all our gear in the back of our van and ive NEVER had problems, dropped my snare so many times, not damage, no scratches, nothing! So if your amps were falling everywhere, maybe you should of packed it properly? We have nothing toppel over onto anything ever! Hard case are stupid;ly heavy, thats why i said if your pro, it doesnt matter because someone can carry it for you!! so go with the protection racket mate! lol

Yeah, I didn't want to turn this into a bags v cases debate mate. The OP asked about bags only, so we should just stick with that. I merely disagreed with your statement "If anyone tells you to have hard cases, slap them. thats just retarded unless your pro, then you dont have to lug them round".

I'm not advocating one over the other. I just don't believe that "you're retarded" for using cases....even if you have to carry them yourself. It was a blanket statement and I don't agree with it. Nothing more, nothing less. It's like saying 7A sticks are for jazz drummers and 2B sticks are for metal drummers. We all know it's about preferance.

I'm glad you're happy with your bags, but cases certainly do have their place and not just for the jet setting pro with an army of drum techs to carry them for him.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Protection Racket are good bags, but I prefer Kaces HD series, they are truly remarkable, with most of the protection of a hard case, with most of the convenience of bags. They are pretty pricey though.

Is sounds like this is becoming a cases vs. bags thread. I've never owned bags. I've seen one too many drummers wrestling with their bags trying to get the drums inside them (especially the bass drum) as the bag flops and bends. I'll take a hard case everytime.

This is why you want to buy bags one to two sizes larger than the drum going into it. More bag means more protection.

A tight fitting bag offers the least protection and makes it harder to put the drum in the bag.

You want the drums to be able to move while in the bag, as opposed to having no place to go, thus absorbing the impact into a drums finish.

Back