Todd Sucherman here!

Shorts---

Right on, man. Thanks and best of luck to you!

Gablushe--

Nah, that was just for one song. I didn't move a thing and it was uncomfortable....but I can play a 3 minute song, once, on someone else's kit. No biggie. The Europe thing is looking too tough to put together, and my schedule is filling up already for next year. So unless, someone (other than myself) takes the bull by the horns, not sure when/if it'll happen.

Cheers from North Carolina,
Todd

Hey Todd

How did the Jonesboro, AR - gig go? Great I bet...I wish I could make it to one of your appearances. Unfortunately this one e.g. is ....let's see ...some 6,200 miles from my place ;) ...

An unusual question, Todd (you know me):
See I've been playing tradional grip for almost 4 years now. Saw Steve Ferrone utilizing it and instantly fell in love with the concept. I've gotten so much out of it - and then you play it too...great! I like the feel of playing trad. especially because I don't think of the human body as being axis-symmetric. Both sides work differently and thus have to be tought and practiced seperatly. You know that. Now...Lately my proverbial left side seems to play a little trick on me. I play the snaredrum flat. Mastercast hoops (not sure if that got anything to do with it). Ok let's say I play (or at least try to) some Styx-tracks. I hit the rim hard with my left hand. Right? I end up with pain in the first bone of my left thumb (see attached pic). Almost a contusion of sorts.

Do you (now finally the question) have any experience with that kind of problem?
I'm pretty sure I hold the sticks right. I don't know. Also ..it seems like it ONLY starts to ache when I play hickory sticks. I believe they are more rigid and somehow feed more of the rim-blast directly up into my forearm. Sound ridiculous?

Sorry, Todd about my rambling. I figured there's not so much to read on this thread lately, so...:)....no honestly....I really really love to play along "Lorelei"....but man...it's starting to hurt!!

Thanks, Todd...as always
cheers from Bavaria

Andreas

Attachments

• hand.png
    hand.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 1,778
Last edited:
Andreas,

Well, I have a large callus on the inside of my thumb (the bone in the middle) that's built up over the years. I haven't exactly had the experience you're having but I might have a few suggestions that might help.

First off, I tend to prefer triple flanged hoops (or wood) to die cast. Although I have several drums in my collection with die cast, I do think triple flange opens the drum up a bit and it's a little softer to the touch. Maple sticks---like my Pro Mark SD 330W model--has less "stick shock" and again is a little softer to the touch. Maybe try a combo of Maple sticks and triple flanged hoops and see if that helps cut down on the sensation you're experiencing. Then you should examine your stroke in a mirror and/or video tape yourself playing. Try to see if there is anything peculiar with your stroke.

Playing trad grip in a hard hitting rock setting can cause some interesting situations---and you'll notice the tape job I do from the "day on the road" section of my DVD. That helps too.

OK, man. I wish you luck and hope I've helped in some way.

Todd

Also---to anyone in these cities---I have a couple clinics coming up! Come say hello.

Date: *Dec 2nd
Location: (4219) UpTown Music 3827 River Rd. N. Keizer Or 97303

Date: **Dec 3rd
Location: (2771) Gelb Music *722 El Camino Real Redwood City CA 94063

Date: Dec 5th

Date: Dec 14th
Alpha Music
3234 Virginia Beach Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
757-486-2001
Start time is 6:30pm
Tickets are $10

Hi Todd,

I have a question and seeing if you can help me with picking up a reasonable set of drum mics. My budget is about 200-300$ and my band and I are going to start recording. So far the Audix mic packs seem to give me more bang for my buck. I remembered that you use Audix mics here is the link to the mic pack.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...Series-6Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=270665

Any suggestions at all? I think this is a pretty decent deal but I want someones experienced input when it comes to mics since I am pretty new to this whole deal of recording.

Krayziemex,

I haven't used any of the F series before, so I can't speak from a place of experience. I use D2s, D4s, D6s, i5s, SCX-25as, etc. But it certainly seems like a good deal. If you don't dig 'em, there's always ebay, but if it fits your budget I would investigate that package. They do make great stuff for drums.

Cheers,
Todd

Hey Todd...

Wonderment of the day:

A Styx-related question this time:

Your phone rings, right? Back in `95 I suppose. How long did you need to prepare yourself in advance to the first inofficial session with the band. I suppose this would have been the Ghost-re-recording of "Lady" (?). Did you have many rehersal meetings with De Young, Shaw and company before the actual tour date?
I mean you said you gave the songs your own flavour whilst staying true to the original sound...that's a lot of time-consuming drumming you must have had to do back then, I assume. Or did you have certain Styx-moves (let's call them "moves") already in your repertoire? ....All these questions, eh? :)

Thanks and stay safe on the road, Todd!

Cheers,
Andreas

P.S. Also thanks for your quick response on the trad-grip-matter! ...Helped me out a lot, man!

Sorry, I was unable to see your show when you guys played Youngstown Ohio some weeks back. I was wondering, I have not heard much on your opinion of your latest pearl kit? It looks so beautiful it must be an honor to play it...

Krayziemex,

I haven't used any of the F series before, so I can't speak from a place of experience. I use D2s, D4s, D6s, i5s, SCX-25as, etc. But it certainly seems like a good deal. If you don't dig 'em, there's always ebay, but if it fits your budget I would investigate that package. They do make great stuff for drums.

Cheers,
Todd

Alright brother thanks a bunch!

Andreas,

Really, I was called for a session with them in '95. One song-- and I went in, met them, and I was done in an hour. I said goodbye and that was it. They called me again about 10 months later to do another song and I felt something was brewing. They called me a week later and asked if I was available for a 4 month tour. We rehearsed for about 3 1/2 weeks or so and began the tour. I knew all the songs and it was very natural feeling. As I've said before, it was a balance of honoring what came before (insofar as the parts) and then adding my spices without changing the flavor of the material. I did my best to update a lot of the parts and that's really it. Glad to hear the trad grip thing is working itself out.

OK! There you go-

Sirwill---

Sorry you missed the gig. I also did a clinic that same day at the university for Craig Allen's drum shop. As far as the new kit (that's actually 2 years old now) goes, I really adore it. Fat sounding with a strong fundamental tone. Inspiring every night. (pic below)

Cheers-
Todd

Attachments

• Todd Sucherman Photoshoot 2009 1.jpg
    Todd Sucherman Photoshoot 2009 1.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 2,178
Hi Todd,

Looking forward to attending your clinic this weekend in Sacramento! Whoho!

P1010004.jpg

Just got back from the clinic.....Todd, thanks! that was awesome! I loved your playing and was very impressed by your personality. Fantastic clinic!!!

I wanted to ask you but didn't get the chance. I noticed that you play traditional grip with the stick quite far back in your hand. I also noticed that while you were playing you would move the stick more forward as well. Do you move the stick forward for speed and further back for power?

I did pick up your DVD...maybe you explain it there. Thanks again for the clinic.

Last edited:
Hey Todd

How's the road treating you?
I marked the actual question "fat"...so that you can skip the rambling!

The Question du jour....is about all the "rack-lessness" :)

Here's the deal: I understand that you use a DR-503c (two, that is ..if I'm not mistaken) on stage with the band. It's easier and faster to set up and break down for Paul Carizzo and all that...Makes total sense to me. But....here's the but:
I think you're a "stand-man" though, if you know what I mean. How come? I'm curious because I'm thinking of purchasing a 503 in the near future. See I own a small kit but there's already a stand-multiclamp-don't look at 'em or they'll tip over- ...situation going on. Either too many stands or too many clamps on one stand. Okay...I understand that stands of different heights and types can give the kit a special charm and character. The one in M&M and its bigger brother in your backyard look very esthetic. A rack looks maybe more technical and thus takes away some of the kit's flavor and esthetic details. Where was I going with this? ...Oh yeah: I think I actually am answering the question myself, Todd :) Just kiddin' ...

See I'm just another guy that drums in the basement and is heard only by the next-door neighbors. But I wanna evolve too, you know and strive for new levels in my drumming. And I kinda got the feelin' there's still lots out there!

Thanks for your time, man! And Oh....say hi to Paul too, if you like!

Cheers from Bavaria,
Andreas

Last edited:
BigSteve--

Thanks for making it to the clinic and I appreciate your kind words very much! You sort of answered your own question.....the answer is yes. It just moves naturally and I really don't think about it. It just happens. Thanks for getting the DVD and I hope you enjoy it.

Andreas--

I was never a "rack guy" but for touring it makes total sense. My gear is 100% the same every night. I don't even have to check the drums and often see the kit for the first time of the night walking on stage. But for ease I like regular old stands. For clinics I often go that way as setting up a rack will add an hour to the set up time. But I've done a few clinic runs (5 in a row) traveling with a rack and it makes set up easy for multiple dates. I hope that answers your question!

Cheers,
Todd

Todd,

Thanks for the reply! I enjoyed the DVD on the first look. Now back to watch it again and work on some rudiments and applications of them musically.

Cheers!

Hi Todd!

Saw you guys in sweden 2005 at the Sweden Rock Festival. And you rocked!
Please comeback soon to sweden soon(I don't have the money to go to the U.S)! I just wanted to thank you for your endless inspiration! It means a lot for me to watch you play!
Questiontime!
I'm a bit confused. I just checked you drummerworld profile and dwdrums.com, and there it says that you play DW pedals, But when I saw the video for the Eliminator Demon Drive you play that and says all nice things about it. What pedals are you using?

Cheers!
// Larta

hey man, just dropped by to say great dvd, i got it a few days ago, really showed the usage of flams! I will be getting right on those fills and licks, such as my favourite, the gablushe ( or tommy gun!) when my wrist heals in early jan.
again, nice one!

Big Steve--

Thanks! Hope the dvd gives you a creative spark.

Larta--

I remember that gig well. We were sandwiched in-between Megadeth and Motorhead! Well, thanks for the kind words. About the pedals, I used DW for years (years ago) and I guess I'm still on their website. Simple as that. I've been using Pearl pedals since 2001.

Bosphorus--

Thanks for getting the dvd and glad you are digging it! Hope the wrist is healed by now......

Cheers,
Todd

Hey Todd...

All the best for 2010 to you and the beloved ones!

Say: If I wanna store my drums like you (and I'm sure a lot of others do it too) and put them on top of each other - stack 'em up, so to speak, would I have to worry about my heads? Do you crank them down (or up even) or anything like that if you have, say one of your old Phonics kits stacked up in the corner for a longer period of time?

I only own one kit so I've never had to deal with this issue.

Thanks man and have a good one!

Cheers from Bavaria,
Andreas

Hey there Todd,

First off, you're a great drummer with a good sense of humor.
I really enjoy your playing.
Also love the fact that you play ambassador clear top and bottom.
Simon Phillips and Steve Smith use this too (I know you love Steve's playing;)
I use this combo too, but just had 2 questions for you if you have the time to spare.

1. How do your drums sound without the microphones? Do you tune them high? To project better with mices?
2. What head do you use on the gong bass? Ambassador clear?

Thanks in advance!

Roger
from The Netherlands

Andreas---

It's not really the best thing for the heads. If that were an issue for me I wouldn't do it, but it's not really a problem. But I can't recommend it---and I don't mind changing heads, so.......

Cheers!

Roger--

Thanks a lot for the kind words. To answer #1, I just tune the drums where I think they sound best. I use my ear and nothing else. If they sound good to me they should work for whatever situation I find myself in, miced up or not. And #2, yes, a clear Ambassador on the gong drum. You are correct!

Cheers,
Todd

Back