Jojo Mayer

To be honest - and I'm somewhat disappointed by myself to have to say that - I believe Vinnie is more musical and versatile than Jojo. Vinnie is still one of a kind totally, IMO.
I recently saw Jojo with his jazz trio "Depart", which was great, but it struck me that Jojo has more of "his niche", his thing to play than I thought; and he is more of a (creative) groove player than an interactive guy when playing.

although he is the best now.....the nearest competitor....from the recent past (even though he is still palying, not his hayday!)......is steve gadd
my 2 favourites....the difference in my opinion is jojo is more technical, while gadd is a better feel drummer..

just a quick comment on my 2 fav's!

Jojo Mayer is one of the most important drummers of the past 20 years, and maybe the most technically proficient. He's an amazing performer, a natural educator, a role model---the whole nine yards.

But is it OK to just say enough already, without that seeming like a terrible thing? Has Jojo Mayer really become...yes, the Chuck Norris of drumming? Are all teachers now obsolete because of a single DVD, interpreted on this and other forums 1000 different ways? Does Jojo's getting up in the morning really mean that Vinnie C, Brian Blade, Ari H, Jack DeJohnette and Gadd have to go back to bed? Does the mere mention of the name Jojo Mayer singlehandedly accelerate the cause of world peace while making all the flowers in springtime seem just a little brighter?

Is this Jojo Mayer's intention? Well I don't know him, but I did get to interact with him briefly at NAMM, and he seemed like one of the nicest guys in the world, and as self effacing as they come. I just don't think this unquestioning hero loving madness is his MO. And I'm not so sure this stuff will work to his benefit in a future time, when people who really aren't paying that much attention, start looking for another flavor.

That would be a shame for this remarkable man, because a legacy such as his should be remembered for a long time.

Last edited:
Jojo Mayer is one of the most important drummers of the past 20 years, and maybe the most technically proficient. He's an amazing performer, a natural educator, a role model---the whole nine yards.

But is it OK to just say enough already, without that seeming like a terrible thing? Has Jojo Mayer really become...yes, the Chuck Norris of drumming? Are all teachers now obsolete because of a single DVD, interpreted on this and other forums 1000 different ways? Does Jojo's getting up in the morning really mean that Vinnie C, Brian Blade, Ari H, Jack DeJohnette and Gadd have to go back to bed? Does the mere mention of the name Jojo Mayer singlehandedly accelerate the cause of world peace while making all the flowers in springtime seem just a little brighter?

Is this Jojo Mayer's intention? Well I don't know him, but I did get to interact with him briefly at NAMM, and he seemed like one of the nicest guys in the world, and as self effacing as they come. I just don't think this unquestioning hero loving madness is his MO. And I'm not so sure this stuff will work to his benefit in a future time, when people who really aren't paying that much attention, start looking for another flavor.

That would be a shame for this remarkable man, because a legacy such as his should be remembered for a long time.

Matt, I'm always impressed with your posts, you have such a great way with words.

Anyway... I think you do have a point there... Jojo made a great product, and unfortunately a lot have misinterpreted it completely; he's now known by many only as a technical phenomenon, a master of his limbs - not as an artist, a musician. One DVD will never make teachers obsolete - I can't think of one thing my snare teacher has taught me that has buried it self deep into my conscience and revolutionized my playing, but my playing has improved massively overall; It's the little things, the stickings, the phrasing, the stick heights, the little comments that all added up to boost my ability. No DVD has given me that thus far.

I agree, I think some people (myself thoroughly included) appear to be going at least slightly OTT with the Jojo appreciation, but of course as wonderfully versatile as he is, Jojo will never be mistaken for Vinnie, Tony or Steve (etc.) and his achievements can, should and will never bring down the legends from their well deserved place in the limelight.

For me though, Jojo will always find a way to make me smile. He may never be extremely well known and initiated into "the scene", but he is my number one inspiration. Steve Gadd inspired thousands, perhaps millions in his prime when he burst onto the scene. Many dissect his phrases, try to replicate what he does and just worship him in general; Jojo is my Steve Gadd in that sense.

If Steve was to switch places with Jojo, Steve being the rising star, and Jojo being debatably the most influential drummer of all time, would anyone have problem with Jojo worship? Should fame dictate how well a person is respected by individuals like myself?

If Steve was to switch places with Jojo, Steve being the rising star, and Jojo being debatably the most influential drummer of all time, would anyone have problem with Jojo worship? Should fame dictate how well a person is respected by individuals like myself?

That's an interesting supposition, but probably doesn't apply in this case, because of the eras we live in. When Gadd was coming up, the drum world still had Rich, Williams, Bellson, Bonham, Roach and all 3 Jones' /Elvin, Joe, Philly Joe/ in their primes. Then if that wasn't enough, you had Cobham, DeJohnette and Lenny White making their initial push, Columby, Garibaldi and Seraphine anchoring rock horn bands we still talk about today, Purdie and Stubblefield turning the recording world on its head, and Carl Palmer essentially creating the prog rock agenda.

There are many, many great drummers out there now, but can we really say that the current competitive landscape is on a late 60s to mid 70s level? See, that's the era when Gadd not only entered the scene, but rose to its highest level, which to me makes the role reveral scenario with Mayer an uneven comparison. There is no way that the gap was big enough in that era to have created the kind of over the top hero worship you see now for one guy.

Yes, there are numerous technical phenoms out there now, but is innovation combined with skillset really on par with those times?

By the late 70s, Gadd had already been the drummer on numerous breakthrough recordings. And as great as Jojo Mayer is, his body of musical works has yet to come close to where Gadd was at a similar point in his career. We also sometimes forget that Mayer is already pushing 50, not exactly the true definition of a rising star.

Now does all that diminish who Mayer is as a drummer and a musician? No. I agree with those legions who make a case for him being one of the true greats of his era. But the situation is what it is.

That's an interesting supposition, but probably doesn't apply in this case, because of the eras we live in. When Gadd was coming up, the drum world still had Rich, Williams, Bellson, Bonham, Roach and all 3 Jones' /Elvin, Joe, Philly Joe/ in their primes. Then if that wasn't enough, you had Cobham, DeJohnette and Lenny White making their initial push, Columby, Garibaldi and Seraphine anchoring rock horn bands we still talk about today, Purdie and Stubblefield turning the recording world on its head, and Carl Palmer essentially creating the prog rock agenda.

There are many, many great drummers out there now, but can we really say that the current competitive landscape is on a late 60s to mid 70s level? See, that's the era when Gadd not only entered the scene, but rose to its highest level, which to me makes the role reveral scenario with Mayer an uneven comparison. There is no way that the gap was big enough in that era to have created the kind of over the top hero worship you see now for one guy.

Yes, there are numerous technical phenoms out there now, but is innovation combined with skillset really on par with those times?

By the late 70s, Gadd had already been the drummer on numerous breakthrough recordings. And as great as Jojo Mayer is, his body of musical works has yet to come close to where Gadd was at a similar point in his career. We also sometimes forget that Mayer is already pushing 50, not exactly the true definition of a rising star.

Now does all that diminish who Mayer is as a drummer and a musician? No. I agree with those legions who make a case for him being one of the true greats of his era. But the situation is what it is.

your coments always make me think matt!....thanks for your contribution to the forum!...
Gadd wanted to be on records, and to be THAT kind of a drummer, but jojo doesnt really want to be, as he said live music is what he loves, live innovation..not saying gadd doesnt love that....some stuff from the 70's and 80's were remarkable....they are 2 COMPLETLY different drummers with different goals...come on, can anybody imagine gadd playing drum and bass??...
i think people should take what they need from these musicians, i doubt neither of them want to be raised to god status......on his website, jojo says that to become a pro you must take down your idols and knock people of their petastils...he wants the rising stars to do the same to him, not worship him.

I'd like to point out that his website is extremely dated, and has indeed not been updated a very long time; I doubt Jojo even remembers he has a website to be honest. Jojo no longer has two separate kits for different occasions; those kits eventually condensed into one all around set up that he uses for pretty much everything. In fact, most of the drum gear listed on the website was discontinued ages ago.

Anyway, most of the time he uses an S-Classix 14"x5" primary and a Sonor Artist 13"x5", or S-Classix 12"x5" aux, but sometimes he is provided with Delite snares in the same dimensions by the event organizer. I'm not entirely sure what he uses on his gigs with Nerve though, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he uses the Sonor Artist as a primary and a 14"x5" S-Classix tuned low as an aux.

If you want even more concrete, reliable information, shoot Raymond Bloom a PM.

To be honest - and I'm somewhat disappointed by myself to have to say that - I believe Vinnie is more musical and versatile than Jojo. Vinnie is still one of a kind totally, IMO.
I recently saw Jojo with his jazz trio "Depart", which was great, but it struck me that Jojo has more of "his niche", his thing to play than I thought; and he is more of a (creative) groove player than an interactive guy when playing.

Long before Jojo moved to New York and became the king of D'n'B and a technique guru, he was working as a first call accompianist for the world's finest jazz musicians when they found themselves in Switzerland.

Check out his work with Stanley Clarke on Journey to Love -- specifically the Concerto For Jazz/Rock Orchestra -- and it's very easy to conceive of Gadd playing Drum & Bass. Ditto his linear work on Chick Corea tunes like The Leprechaun.

ya, I'm aware of how versitile he is but......i don't know, i cant really express what i want to say here!...i guess i mean i can't see him playing the real pure jungle music, ah well, im sure ye all know what i mean!

ya, I'm aware of how versitile he is but......i don't know, i cant really express what i want to say here!...i guess i mean i can't see him playing the real pure jungle music, ah well, im sure ye all know what i mean!

I think I know what you mean. We have to remember that even the great "innovators" are products of their circumstance and the era they find themselves in. It's hard to say what Steve Gadd would sound like if he were born 20 years later. That said - you should check these out:
http://www.sunlightsquare.co.uk/musicians.cfm?mpf=frame&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4m-e_SEibk

It's also important to be aware that innovation is always easier to see in hindsight.

I think I know what you mean. We have to remember that even the great "innovators" are products of their circumstance and the era they find themselves in. It's hard to say what Steve Gadd would sound like if he were born 20 years later. That said - you should check these out:
http://www.sunlightsquare.co.uk/musicians.cfm?mpf=frame&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4m-e_SEibk

It's also important to be aware that innovation is always easier to see in hindsight.

ah well, wan always wonder!...ya gadd would probably be playing (or atleast be able to play) very good drum and bass if he were 20 years younger!...nice vids, really show gadd's imagination!

The man is unreal. While it's really unfair and difficult at best to say who the greatest drummer is (considering different eras, styles, etc), Jojo to me is tops. It seems he's taken the techniques that have been honed over the past 100 years from guys like Rich, Williams, Cobham, Gadd, Calaiuta and many others and used those techniques as the platform to take off from. It feels like a whole other level coming from Jojo. It's like he's incorporated extreme polyrhythms, played heavily with an incredible amount of speed and consistency with taste AND it grooves like a motherfucker. I love the newer guys like Rabb and Minneman (and others) but overall I just don't see anyone better than Jojo Mayer.

jojo is smart, he s approach is scientific as he talks about using certain principles and laws of physics, then combining them with human emotion and expression while playing, what quality it has produced, thats just my opinion tho......

I don't know if anybody else noticed, but Nerve's album "Prohibited Beats" is available for download from the itunes store & amazon. Just got it and I'm loving it.

Back