Do you mention being a drummer on a day job interview?

And as we get older, the perceived stability of age works in our favor as well. An employer is more likely to believe that a 50-year-old candidate will focus on a position, more than a 25-year-old who's trying to pursue music but says he can be dedicated to the job.

Bermuda

I hope you're right.

I just run into the perception because I'm not 25 I should have more on my resume than I do.

Remember, employers are employing human beings, not matrix clones.

Heh....I've had a few bosses who would have rather wished were just clones!

Very true.

While honesty is the best policy as a rule, it isn't always. When there is a good chance that you'll encounter assumptions based on stereotypes which will result in discrimination, it's best to keep your cards close to your chest.

This tends to be my approach. But I think I may, at times, hold my cards too close, and thus why I made this thread.

But I love all the different responses to this thread. :)

I think it's ok to tell people about your hobbies during a job interview if asked, but I can imagine it being dependent of what industry you work in. I am studying industrial design engineering, and am expected to be both intelligent and creative. I will get my master's degree in engineering in about a year and a half, maybe a little more, which proves my intelligence. Me having been an active musician during my time as a student (with a minor in Music) proves that I am creative. I am putting my hobby as drumming and my teaching work on my resumé for sure!

I used to never tell something like that in an interview, but if I have another one I will definatley tell them about it. It's alot of experience and i've done alot of things that are great examples as to why I'm a great worker. I found that as a band member you are actually doing alot of leadership/ownership of your own business. Especially if you've had any success you can point to. It might explain gaps in your resume, or why you worked part time jobs too.

I actually found out the GM at my last job was a drummer after working with him for 4 years, and we got really close and it helped me out. He was always on my side after that.

Anybody who is stupid enough to think that musicians are lazy or don't work is probably somebody you don't want to work for. I just had a 14 hour day yesterday driving too, from, setting up, tearing down, and playing a 4 hour gig.

Back