Thomas Lang

Well....I find Thomas' work inspiring, if a little mathematically based. His playing is extremely good and he has helped a lot of drummers improve their skills, sadly whether one has them or not, groove and feel are both unteachable and unlearnable..

For all you thomas lang fans that absolutely Love his work are going to LOVE to hear this: Most recently he has joined a band. The UK band sikth featured some of the most talented musicians i have ever heard. With the most ridiculous time signature changes and melodic phrasing ever!! The band broke up close to a year ago, and DIN the lead guitarist has been looking for an alternate band. And no one could guess he'd be working with THOMAS LANG! What an amazing combination for the type of music they will be creating!

Here's a taste of the guitarist: The bald one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-8aipuDILs

Here's a taste of the style of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5AEs3CkOkI

Here's a taste of the new project:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=340229667

You will see under blogs a video of lang playing to one of the new songs NOT released yet

Re: Thomas Lang Dvd?

hey everyone, does anyone have the Thomas Lang dvd? If so can you tell me if its worth getting? thx!

Depends of what you are looking for. I have it, and found that for me a groove oriented DVD is way more useful.

Lang displays his amazing skill and its certinaly very interesting to watch. The big question, will you be able to use any of this stuff! Let me know.

I've never seen any of his DVDs or been to any clinics, but he is doing a clinic near to me soon. Should I go? What can I expect to take away from it? If he is really all about over your head technical stuff would the ticket money be better spent on a good book/dvd?

Ok after reading some more about him, I've realised what a stupid question that was. I have got my ticket!

Re: Thomas Lang Dvd?

That's interesting, I find books/DVDs can't really teach me 'groove'..it seems more of a soul/feel for yourself type of thing.

I do find working on Lang's stuff beneficial for what I would call 'Chops' - sometimes when he goes off using the weird pedals I would never probably buy - I get put off.

Depends of what you are looking for. I have it, and found that for me a groove oriented DVD is way more useful.

Lang displays his amazing skill and its certinaly very interesting to watch. The big question, will you be able to use any of this stuff! Let me know.

For all you thomas lang fans that absolutely Love his work are going to LOVE to hear this: Most recently he has joined a band. The UK band sikth featured some of the most talented musicians i have ever heard. With the most ridiculous time signature changes and melodic phrasing ever!! The band broke up close to a year ago, and DIN the lead guitarist has been looking for an alternate band. And no one could guess he'd be working with THOMAS LANG! What an amazing combination for the type of music they will be creating!

Here's a taste of the guitarist: The bald one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-8aipuDILs

Here's a taste of the style of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5AEs3CkOkI

Here's a taste of the new project:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=340229667

You will see under blogs a video of lang playing to one of the new songs NOT released yet

That is amazing news, thanks for posting this!

Thomas Lang UK clinics

I went to Thomas' clinic in Manchester yesterday. Wow is that guy good! But also he was really funny and seemed like a great guy, much more than the heartless, soulless drum machine some have labelled him.

Anyway, he played a solo from his new DVD, and explained about his matrix coordination practice routine to gain 4 limb independence, and it makes a lot of sense. Basically you play singles on your feet and keep that going while you use your hands to play singles (RLRL), then doubles (RRLLRRLL), then triples (RRR LLL), then four....up to eights. Then you play doubles with your feet and repeat the process. Then triples with your feet and repeat...up to playing 8s with the feet. So far so easy (?)!

Then you switch it round, so your hands start with singles and your feet go through the stages (singles, doubles, triples...up to 8s). Then play doubles with your hands and repeat the process, then triples with your hands and repeat.....again up to 8s with your hands. Still with me?

Then the clever bit, you use right hand/left foot singles and go through the process of singles, doubles etc..up to 8s using your left hand/right foot. Then do doubles with RH/LF and repeat, then do triples with RH/LF......

Next do the opposite and use LH/RF for the singles, adding singles, doubles, triples etc with RH/LF...Then work through the process using doubles with LH/RF, then triples, and so on.

It obviously takes a lot of time to go through all the combinations, but if the result is complete 4 way independence I'm up for it! ALso, its a different way of practicing basic rudiments as you get to play singles, doubles, paradiddles etc. And you can do round the kit so its a good all round way to practice.

I'll let you know how it goes in 10 years or so!

Thomas Lang Leaves Sonor

Anywho it appears as though Mr. Lang left Sonor for DW.

Anybody have any clue why?

-Jonathan

(sorry mods, not sure why I didn't think of posting that here)

Last edited:
"My experience with the custom shop is... you know... a unique bla bla bla"

Why do all these endorsers bother to emphasize the so-called uniqueness of their brand? They know as well as we do that it's all personal mojo, and I bet you can find soundbytes of Thomas saying the same thing about Sonor. It doesn't mean anything with regard to why he chooses one brand over the other. Apparently "I was in for a change" doesn't cut it, but why is a mystery to me.

That said, whatever floats his boat - if he's happy playing DW instead of Sonor, good luck. Those sound samples sound pretty good, and I definitely like him playing on wood shells more than acrylic. Which of course, does not mean that I would pry that acrylic Sonor set out of his cold hands if I could :)

I think it's all about business.

...and only judging his new kit by the above linked video sounds ...well... quite the opposite of how he describes it, haha :)

Yeah it's all about business... DW is all about throwing tons of money at high profile drummers to recruit them. Before I even found out who Thomas went to I just knew it was going to be DW.

i heard that sonor is having some financial trouble. that could be why he left. maybe they can't afford him anymore.

Sonor has (had?) short-work at the home factory in Germany, but that has nothing to do with endorsers. And also DW isn't untouched by the worldwide economic crises.

Thomas want's to do clincis to promote his DVDs etc., and Sonor has no good base in USA and it seems to be they don't want to change it. So he looked out for a company which gives him good oppurtunities in the States. So why not just asked at a good company round the corner? He lives just a few miles away from DW (like some others too, many pros are in and around L.A.).

As an endorser you don't get money, that's a misbelief. Right now only ddrum pays something cash, but that's the absolute exception.

Lang get's no cash from DW, it's even the opposite, besides at the start-up he has to pay for his set like the big majority of all DW Endorsers. At Sonor you get kits for free, but only as a loan, which means you have to give it back (sure that's not strict, but it's not that you are endorser and then get what you want).

Yes, it's about business, but not in case of the endorsement itself, it's the support, opportunities and network that counts.

Last edited:
...and only judging his new kit by the above linked video sounds ...well... quite the opposite of how he describes it, haha :)

I agree....
Not sure if it was the micing/recorder but they sounded like tin cans...

Back