THE DRUM MICROPHONE / MICROPHONES THREAD

Re: Mics?!?!?!?!?!?!

mic's into the board
board speaker output (or line output)
to Firewire or USB interface (like this one)
to sound program (like protools, logic, garage band, etc).

you can also spend more on an interface that has multiple mic inputs and run the mics directly into the interface, since the software can act as a board itself and usually allow you to control far more than a physical board would.

Re: Mics?!?!?!?!?!?!

THX MAN I REALLY APPRECIATE UR HELP i fnally get it now i was like ok now what does the mix board plug into but i get it now

Re: C2 Condenser mics

TitanSound said:
Cool stuff....i'll try that out on Tuesday.

Thanks for the pointers!

Hi TitanSound.

I have a pair of C-2s... they're pretty good. I recently replaced them with something from Beyerdynamic. I now use one of the C-2s over my high hats and I plan to have the other one poised over my ride when I get the necessary cables and stands. They are quite bright, so they do make good overhead mics... in my limited-knowledge opinion. For the money, I don't think you'll be too disappointed.

-Michael

What mics to record my drumset?

Hey guys!

I want to record my playing on my drumset... Now here is my question:

I've got two Rode NT1 and tow AKG SE300B mics... Are those any good for drum-recording?

Re: What mics to record my drumset?

The Rode condenser mics would work well for overhead placement or general field placement.

What capsules are you using with the AKG's?
What type of room are you recording in?
What method/equipment are you using to record?

If you're simply recording to listen to yourself, the two Rode's would be all you need. They should pick up most of the kit fairly well if placed as overheads. If you're looking for defined tone from each piece, you would need seperate dynamic mics on every tom, snare, bass drum, etc.... As well as a mixer with as many channels.

I've never used the AKGs but the NT1 sounds pretty good—a little bright but through a warm preamp it sort of evens out. If you're looking to purchase more mics rather than use what you have, for a low-cost/high performance mic I really, really, really, really, really, really recommend the Shure KSM 32. :) They sound great and are still a little under the radar so you can pick them up fairly cheap online.

My friend and I have a theory, though—that the preamp and compressor used on the mics will make a much bigger difference than the mic itself.

I'll be on studio during next week to record my drum tracks for a new album, I'll use two Shures 57 on snare, a bunch of Sennheisers 421 on toms, AKGs (dont know the number or a model for sure) - overheads, AudioTechnika (inside the bassdrum) and Shure 57 to pick up beaters "tchick", DDrum 4, Manley Voxbox compressors and equalizers....I'll post some results later....

Max.

I have the Samson 7-Piece Drum Microphone set. One for each of the three toms, one for the snare, one for the bass and 2 overhead condenser mics. Pretty expensive but it makes the set sound great.

hm... well...

My band and me want to record a few of our songs... In the garage of our guitarist.

Do you think the two Rodes as two overalls for all instruments (drums, bass, guitar) will do it?

We only want to get some records for a small demotape. We do not need a high-end studio recording yet ...

The Rodes'll do the job. They make some good condensor mikes for the money. It might be worth seeing as you're doing it as a garage project, to see if the guitarist's amp has a DI output. This could save you a lot of trouble with soundproofing and microphone issues that you might encounter when recording a guitar amp with a condensor. If I were you, recording with his amp I'd rather DI it or use a reasonable dynamic (eg. SM57) than use a condensor. The condensors will be just great as overheads though for your drums.

the two condensers should work fine for general, "room" recording. placement, of course, will be crucial. try many, many mic and instrument locations before diving into "final" takes.

Perhaps we record every sound track apart...

But I think you must be very good at playing to a klick-track, and i've never done that before, just as the whole band. So we're not sure, if this will work.
But if.. what would you say: Can I use those mics (especially the AKGs) for the bassdrum; the Rodes as overalls ?

If those AKGs are dynamics, I wouldn't suggest you use those as specific bass drum microphones. If they are dynamics, try it. I've seen an SM57 used as a bass drum mic with some success despite the small diameter of the diagphram.

If you want to record the parts separately (which was my assumption in the first place) I suggest you first play to a click, but you can also record to a scratch track. Record a rough mix of your band playing the track with an ambient room mic, then use that as your 'click' for when you re-record your part. Works like a charm providing the timing's right on the scratch.

I have no idea, what kind of mics that are.. They're not mine, but those of my brother. He can't help me and my band, so i have to do all that stuff by myself.

This are the AKGs

Perhaps someone of you can tell me whether they're good for bassdrum-recording or not. I Think if I want a fourth mic (2 overalls, 1 bassdrum = 3 +) for the snare, the AKG will do this job.

They could work. Condensors though, you'd be better off using them as ambient room mics if I'm honest. With good placement you don't really need much more than two overheads for a good kit sound.

Ok, thanks man!

You really helped me.

perhaps you will hear one of the recordnings in a week..

I sincerely hope so. Come back in a year and I might be able to give you some really good advice. Definately want to hear how you've done with those recordings.

Re: mics

k3ng said:
I need as much info as can be provided about micing equipment

What kind of mics are used? Do drum mics use compressors?
Are there any example models that you can give me?

This is micing up for large hall playing

Thanks

Hi K3ng.

Usually (but not always) dynamics for the drums with large dynamics used for kick and sometimes floor toms, and condensors for overheads/close cymbal mic'ing with large condensors sometimes used for room mics.

Dynamics generally handle high sound pressure levels from drums like the kick and the snare better than condensors do. Condensors, because they are more sensitive to transients are usually used for cymbals and overheads.

Some engineers add compression to the drums, most often I believe, to the kick drum. Gating and other techniques, along with EQ, are often used, as well.

As for examples, I'm not sure what you're looking for and there is an infinite number of ways to mic a kit... using from one mic to well over a dozen... It depends what kind of a sound you're after, how big your kit is and how much you can afford to spend. I guess a good starting point would be a pair of small condensors as overheads, an SM57 for the snare and a Beta52 or something similar for the bass. Keep in mind that my limited experience is in home-recording and while I'm sure the basics are the same, there will be some differences for live mic'ing.

-Michael

Back