Mounting rack toms on a Pearl ICON rack

Theyoungdrum

Hey everybody, I'm glad to be new here on the forums first of all. It's good to be able to exchange information with this great community! Anyway, I just ordered in a new kit (a Mapex Saturn IV MH Exotic) and I was also interested in getting a Pearl ICON rack to mount it on. I am not very knowledgeable about how to exactly work it all, so I have a question. How exactly do I mount the toms off of the rack? What kind of clamp should I use and do they come with an l-rod to mount the drum? If not, where do I get the rods. I could probably use the rods that come with the kit for two of the toms, but I ordered in another 8x7 Tom and I need to mount it too. I doubt it comes with an l-rod.

If you have any other rack tips to broaden my horizons, please tell me! Mounting cymbals, or whatever, please tell!

The tom arms that come with the kit should work just fine with the Pearl PCX-100 tom/cymbal mounts that come standard with the rack. The basic "front-side only" rack comes with 2 of these, the 3-sided rack comes with 4 of them. Here's a link to the 3-sided rack so you can see what it looks like: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/pearl-dr503c-icon-3-sided-curved-drum-rack

If your kit comes with 2 Mapex tom holders standard and the add-on tom doesn't come with one, then you should order another matching tom holder for that 8" tom.

Depending on the number of cymbal arms that you have, you might need more of the PCX-100 clamps. The rack comes with 2 cymbal mounts that attach to the tops of the vertical pipes, so there are 2 more places for cymbals right there.

Anyone have a pic they'd like to share of their ICON set up?

I'm about to bite on a rack, after 3 decades+ of stands. Want to make sure I get it right, but it seems like one of those 'things' that just have a learning curve after it starts being used.

Kind of far away, but only one I have...:)

Attachments

• 424534_10150586671631681_310553172_n.jpg
    424534_10150586671631681_310553172_n.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 679
Jasper, ya, I do like them a lot. I use racks all the time. i have a Gibraltar rack for my V-drums. I like rack because I can load and unload them out of my car totally intact. It makes it a breeze for gigging. One thing, though. The Pearl icon is heavy and , depending on how big your kit is, the side wings ( really big and heavy) may not be needed. I just recently swapped out my pearil Icon side wings and put them on my V-drums. I now use the Gibraltar side wings from my V-drums (shorter and don't touch the ground). Much easier to haul. How big is your kit? How many cymbals, too?

Back