Buying a new electric kit, help!

JMSellars1

Hi guys :)

I have been a drummer for about 6 years now and for a while i've been playing my DTXplorer for practice. Recently i've also started playing it for band practice but the sound arent that great and since playing my friend's td-9 i just can't look at my kit in the same way again :p.

So, i want to buy a decent new kit that will pretty much last me forever ie. little need to upgrade. I am a metal player and want to use it for practice and probably recording. Being a metal player, the bass drum pad is pretty important, i definitely need a decent one. Also, my ideal setup would be bass, snare, hihat, 3 toms, crash, ride, china and splash. So i want something with enough expandability to handle that. Other than that i just want something with good sounds as i'll want to record with it.

As for a budget, i don't have one per se. Over in the UK, i noticed we have this Arts Council loan, where you can borrow up to £2000 interest free for buying instruments so my budget is that + whatever i can save up. I think i should be able to muster another £1000 which is why i'm thinking of the TD-12KX.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hi guys :)

I have been a drummer for about 6 years now and for a while i've been playing my DTXplorer for practice. Recently i've also started playing it for band practice but the sound arent that great and since playing my friend's td-9 i just can't look at my kit in the same way again :p.

So, i want to buy a decent new kit that will pretty much last me forever ie. little need to upgrade. I am a metal player and want to use it for practice and probably recording. Being a metal player, the bass drum pad is pretty important, i definitely need a decent one. Also, my ideal setup would be bass, snare, hihat, 3 toms, crash, ride, china and splash. So i want something with enough expandability to handle that. Other than that i just want something with good sounds as i'll want to record with it.

As for a budget, i don't have one per se. Over in the UK, i noticed we have this Arts Council loan, where you can borrow up to £2000 interest free for buying instruments so my budget is that + whatever i can save up. I think i should be able to muster another £1000 which is why i'm thinking of the TD-12KX.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

I think you've answered your own question! A TD-12KX would be a great choice and easily accommodate the kit you describe. That is basically what I use, with one exception- I have a TD-9 module because i upgraded over time. I am running 2 PD-105s, 2 PDX-8s, a VH-11, a KD-85, and 3 CY12-R/Cs with PDX-6 mounted so I have access to my obligatory cowbell and 100 other items I might need. You could pull all this together for less than £3000 I am sure.

I went into my local music shop to try some kits. They only had the Roland ones but i tried out the TD-12KX and the TD-20KX to compare the difference and honestly, except for cosmetic differences i really didn't notice the difference. It seemed like the only improvements were an extra tom (which i don't want), the hihat with 2 cymbals on it (cool but not needed) and the chrome finish (again, nice but not worth £2000 to me). So yeah, i really liked the TD-12KX but i think i am going to find somewhere to try some Yamaha kits before i commit to it.

Had a bit more of a think and for £3000 i can get a TD-9KX2, KD-120BK, 2 x CY-12C with the stands, some AV40 monitors and still have around £400 left for a laptop to use for recording and triggering sounds from Ezdrummer or something. That gives me all mesh pads with good sounds and all the pads/speakers i need within the budget.

Had a bit more of a think and for £3000 i can get a TD-9KX2, KD-120BK, 2 x CY-12C with the stands, some AV40 monitors and still have around £400 left for a laptop to use for recording and triggering sounds from Ezdrummer or something. That gives me all mesh pads with good sounds and all the pads/speakers i need within the budget.

1- you are in business, my man

2 - you can upgrade pads as you see fit. eBay is there for you

3 - post a couple of deep grooves on here because we all know you'll be great!

Back