Chad Smith

why he the only reason???

anthony keidis has a wonderful voice!!Flea is a bass master....John Frusciante an Hillel Slovak(RIP) are/were absolutley brilliant guitarists.....

the RHCP have a lot going for tehm!!

I love Chad Smith. He is my favorite drummer of all time. I've never heard him overplay a song. He sits right in the pocket every time, without fail. He doesn't show off during albums. I respect that, it takes a lot to control the overwhelming desire to just stick in whatever you feel would make the song cooler from your end. Its a very mature quality. He plays to the song and not to show off. His sense of time is unwavering and his foot work is fantastic. If you've ever seen him live you can see how locked in to the songs he is. Chili Peppers do some distracting things on stage. They have flaming helmets, light bulb heads, and sometimes play in the nude. All the while Chad plays as if nothing strange is happening. I think he's better than a lot of people give him credit for. I played to Californication and Blood Sugar and it improved my sense of timing tenfold. He does some crazy stuff with his beats. I highly recommend his instructional DVD. He doesn't sit down and instruct but you get to see him play some of the best RHCP songs and he plays the beats slower for you too. Chad Smith is a rock/funk/punk powerhouse.

Fantastic performer and a top notch groover. Does what enjoys, and does it well. I saw him play with rhcp a few times, and more recently saw a drum clinic at the MusicLive event in the UK, he was very down-to-earth, but had certainly not lost his 'rock star' edge. I beleive there was reference to naked midgets as part of his pre-show warm up. =)

chads a great drummer..not because he is technically gifted like vinnie and weckl etc..but he does his job,drives the band along and even better,looks like he is really enjoying it.....for sheer power and feel for funk/rock...he da man!!!

Awwww god, Chad Smith is amazing. I've been a huge fan of his even before I started drumming. I play his signature Vater FunkBlasters right now, and I am definately investing in 10 more pairs. If there's any drummer's style I'd love to master, Chad would be on top of my list.

NUTHA JASON said:
he is nowhere near to weckl or vinnie. even he would say that.j

You cant really compare Chad to those two drummers. Totaly different genres of playing. I agree, he probably isnt close to weckl or vinnie, but he doesnt need to be. He is perfect for what he does. Throw down amazing fitting grooves where need be. I acutally think he has more "feel" than Weckl.

I've really dig Chad's playing. His technique is great and his feel is amazing. I think his best work is on Blood,Sugar, Sex Magic. He plays some very tasteful syncopated funky grooves that are SO funky that the stinch comes right out of the speakers.

Personally, I think Chad it great! Never overplays and always steady. Awesome groover along with Flea.

NUTHA JASON said:
okay, i think chad rocks...don't get me wrong. he is the king of hard line funk and one of my huge influences...but he is nowhere near to weckl or vinnie. even he would say that.

j
HA! This is too true. He's an awesome drummer and i love his style.....BUT..... nobody can say that he's as technical or skillful as Weckl......thats just insane.

Chad Smith is one drummer that I would love to emulate the most. His style and feel surpasses so many modern drummers. He's amazing.

Chad has always been among my faves, i have to say. He can be the funkiest guy on the planet, and he's just a cool person anyway. I kind of find it hard to define my opinion on his style now, dont get me wrong, as he said himself "not everything calls for fancy fills or sticking your chop in there 'cos it sounds good", but you sometimes wanna see him do something a little more elaborate, or try and be a little more creative.

He is a great time keeper and one funky guy, but i'd love it if he played to his funkiness a bit more.

Oh yeah and another thing. Dont you think its funny, having watched chad alot, that you'll like never hear him play a song exactly as the track is, he always improvises, do you think thats just him getting in the moment or that he's a bit lazy and doesnt learn his own parts? lol

Say what you will about Chad's technique, but the fact is that he is a great drummer. His FEEL is excellant, and most important, his time is outstanding. He does not use a click on their records! And he PLAYS FOR THE SONG! I would take his style of drumming with less chops ANY DAY over a guy who can't play a song and is only interested in being the fastest drummer in the world.

rendezvous_drummer said:
HA! This is too true. He's an awesome drummer and i love his style.....BUT..... nobody can say that he's as technical or skillful as Weckl......thats just insane.

How many top 40 albums has Weckl played on? Thank you!

Lingenfelter Twin Turbo said:
How many top 40 albums has Weckl played on? Thank you!

I've said it a million times: there is no correlation between popularity and playing skill. Well, actually there is, but it's usually an inverse correlation ;-)

Last edited:
the sad sad truth.
listening to some chilli peppers today, and i think chad is just a great drummer. he's so easy to like.

Stu_Strib said:
I've said it a million times: there is no correlation between popularity and playing skill. Well, actually there is, but it's usually and inverse correlation ;-)

well, for session drummers, it's just a different thing altogether. how many top 40 albums has abe laboriel jr been on? vinnie? matt chamberlain? gadd? etc. etc.

chad smith is a solid drummer, does a great job for the chili peppers, and brings a lot to the group. don't get me wrong, i love the chili peppers, they've been one of my favorite bands for a long time and chad's a great drummer.

i don't believe chad is up to par with the likes of weckl as a technical innovator. weckl has pushed himself in so many ways to become the metronome that he is.

weckl also can't play pop and rock music. that's why he's not on any of those albums. so chad has a one-up on him there.

but - how many top 40 albums has meg white been on?

so my point: umm i forgot.

Back