Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
Keith Moon , the unique., my only hero.

No one ever tried to follow his route I think because of the music style or following the same old "groove thing" or being afraid to get out of that comfortable groove thing and try something new which was never ever written in books or the so called " DVD'S ".

One thing I just noticed while watching the moon drumming videos is the micing of his drums is very different, seems all drums are tuned equally or have equal pitch.
Again, his movement doesnt seem to synchronise with what we hear, especially the Live at the isle of wright video.

I still believe every rock song has a Keith Moon way of drumming which no one ever tried.

Keith (Moon) had his master-pieces and bits, good or bad, but they were his bits and you could always tell: Oh! that's Keith Moon playing, over there...

I'm sorry, Ihave just been reading this thead. The 1970 'WHO' gig at IOW the drumming was over dubed.
If dropping sticks, wagling them around franticly and aimlessly when some guy's back stage playing for you becourse you can't do the job. If that makes you inovative and great.

Then Keith Moons is God to all drummers.

sorry Keith. bless his soul.

Yea. Keith Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hngmb0pTcMY

Great really inovative

I'm sorry, Ihave just been reading this thead. The 1970 'WHO' gig at IOW the drumming was over dubed.
If dropping sticks, wagling them around franticly and aimlessly when some guy's back stage playing for you becourse you can't do the job. If that makes you inovative and great.

Then Keith Moons is God to all drummers.

sorry Keith. bless his soul.

Yea. Keith Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hngmb0pTcMY

Great really inovative

The 1970 'WHO' gig at IOW the drumming was over dubed.
Where did you hear that one?

It wasn't for his drumming ability that he got the job in the who.

It wasn't for his drumming ability that he got the job in the who.
It wasn't for his drumming ability that he got the job in the who.[/

Funny, I thought that's what drummers were needed for?

I think he's a good drummer, but it was his stage prescense that really made people enjoy his drumming. Normal people don't care if you can play like, say, Carter Beauford, but if you blow up your drum set, people will like you.

I think he's a good drummer, but it was his stage prescense that really made people enjoy his drumming.

You may have a point, but I'm not sure what it is. Gene Krupa had great stage presence but I'm pretty sure that it was his drumming that got him over to the audience.
Anyway, forget stage presence. Listen to the recordings. Listen to the way he played, totally unique, very musical. You don't honestly think the band kept him just for his stage presence do you?

some folks say Moon was all drugged up thats why he plays sloppy!!

In my view, during late 60's, the early recordings, like I Cant Explain, the "overdrumming" makes the song unique, makes the band unique, makes the drummer unique, who wants to see the same old traditional drumming all the time. (in rock music)?

always, less is less.

I think it is mainly the drum teachers who doesnt like his playing.

I am "learning" to play like Moon along the traditional records.

Daltrey says, if they take the drums out of The Who music, the music is nothing, it is the drumming that make the song cohesive.

Moon was lucky to play with folks like Townshend, Daltry and Enwhistle who appreciates overdrumming.

Now..listen to Eminence Front played by Kenny!!so boring!

Moon was the driven passion and burning flame in The Who, so are drums too.

Moon's one of the few rock drummers ever that are impossible to imitate - just too unique. I've yet to see anyone play like him - it'll never happen. His biography is awesome by the way.

I couldn't help but think last night watching the half time show that if keith were behind the kit still how much nicer the drums would have sounded. They guy did an all right job but he was not Keith! So much seemed to be missing but I could hear the rest in my head...LOL

OK-Im a 49 year old Yank and you better believe that MOON was THE MAN in the day..simply above and beyond all others...if you listen to Tommy,Live at leeds(especially),Whos next and Quad...well,the man was posessed,Amazing!!the rolls and Fills and his entire style were just mesmerizing...I mean,just incredible,he was a man on fire for the years 69-74...the Peak.Only Carl palmer was as good or better.Keith Moon is in a class by himself....too bad he suffered the same fate as my other main man Bonzo....who was great in Zep from say 69-74 until Booze and drugs slowed him...peace

As a life long fan, always loved his style,Hitting crashes in the middle of a beat,just insane stuff,no hi hat???? Are you kidding............Guy was unreal,his like will never come again..........And while his drumming went downhill as his health went south,..Durring his time he was the man........Young Man Blues on Live At Leeds his drumming is WOW..............The Who where never the same.Thats how important he was to the band.

Back