Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

OK fellow Gretsch owners, you've seen the rest now its time to show the best. Post your Gretsch kits here, and show them what makes that Great Gretsch Sound.

My Gretsch Renown Maple in Cherry Burst
22 x 18
8 x 7 rack
10 x 8 rack
12 x 10 rack
14 x 14 floor
14 x 7 Vaughcraft Steambent Snare
22 inch Masterwork Jazz series Ride
16, 17 Masterwork Jazz Series Crash
18 inch Sabian HHX Evolution Crash
14 inch Masterwork Jass Series Hats
8, 10, 12 Wuhan Splashes

hey, just wondering, how much was your set? Ive been thinking about possibly selling my Pearl Session and possibly getting a Renown. I know i prefer the Renown to the Session (not saying i dont love my drums) but i dont know if i can afford one.

Class A buddy, I found mine on Craigslist for 700.00 but was able to get them for 650.00. Total thievery I know. They sell for 1499.00 most places. I got four toms and bass, no snare, no hardware.

Here's mine. Same shell kit as Gruntersdad, different snare and cymbals though. Do you love yours as much as I love mine??

Snare is a 14x7 Yamaha Brass Nouveau. Amazing sound.

Cymbals have changed as well:
14" Tosco Light Hats
17" K Custom Hybrid Crash
16" AAX studio Crash
14" Paiste Prototype China
12" China Star Splash
10" Avedis splash
10" B8PRO China Splash
20" XS Medium Ride

What are those Tosco hats like? A friend has a pair of the Italian made ones from waaaay back. They're really nice. I've wondered what the Sabian "Tosco's" sound like.

Cheers,
-Ryan

Here are mine:

Gretsch catalina maple in the cherry finish with a pearl 4X14 copper snare drum.
22X18 bass
8X10, 8X12 toms
14X14 and 16X16 floor toms
6.5X14 snare drum

Attachments

• Gretsch front L.jpg
    Gretsch front L.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13,249
  • Gretsch front R.jpg
    Gretsch front R.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 13,232
  • Gretsch top.jpg
    Gretsch top.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 13,123
Very nice addition to the Gretsch thread. Very nice indeed.

Thanks man....best sounding drums I've ever owned................Aaaaaaand, I have a 5.5X14 Brady snare drum being shipped to my humble state to be added to my collection soon.

Attachments

• Brady snare.jpg
    Brady snare.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 13,123
SET4.jpg

Outdated pics now, as I've got new heads on both kits (only the one up front is the Gretsch though) and figured out a better cymbal set-up. Anyway, here it is:
Gretsch Catalina Rock
26x16, 13x9, 16x16, 18x16 the snare is a 70s Ludwig Acrolite

Here's my Gretsch Renown in Ebony Gloss. Standard set- 12x 8 , 13x10 mounted toms and 16x16 floor tom. 22x18 bass, 14" maple snare and 13" PDP steel piccolo snare. My cymbals are Mehmet Traditional 20" ride, 14" regular HH, 18" dark crash, 17" thin crash, 16" paper thin crash, and 12" splash. Agop 20" Traditional sizzle ride and 18" Wuhan china. (Just put new Aquarian Response 2 coated heads on the toms and Texture coated on the snares)

Attachments

• P3050059comp.JPG
    P3050059comp.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 12,963
  • P3050058com.JPG
    P3050058com.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 12,939
my 80's stop sign badge kit!

298486829.jpg

298486813.jpg

298486829.jpg

12" 14" 16" 22"

evans g2 clear on top, remo ambassadors on bottom

god these drums feel so good to play!

What are those Tosco hats like? A friend has a pair of the Italian made ones from waaaay back. They're really nice. I've wondered what the Sabian "Tosco's" sound like.

Cheers,
-Ryan
well, in a word, awesome. They're light, groovy, and have a great wash to them when open, and a nice chick when closed. Great for jazz, probably not best for hard-hitters. I don't play jazz, but I'm a soft player and I like good response at low volumes, so these work great for me. I don't know how easy they are to find anymore though, I hear they've gone out of production again.

hey, just wondering, how much was your set? Ive been thinking about possibly selling my Pearl Session and possibly getting a Renown. I know i prefer the Renown to the Session (not saying i dont love my drums) but i dont know if i can afford one.

Mine was about double that, but that's because it was new. (I still can't figure out how gruntersdad got that steal of a deal!) I don't regret it at all, as this is a great deal for top quality professional drums. Make sure you get the tom arms and clamps that are supposed to come with the kit. They didn't have a set of matching tom arms, so I have 3 different brands. Great stock heads, amazing finish that is a subtle burst, and great quality hardware.

My old export 16"x16" floor tom weighed much much less than my new Renown 14x14 floor tom, just to give you an idea.

my 80's stop sign badge kit!

298486829.jpg

298486813.jpg

298486829.jpg

12" 14" 16" 22"

evans g2 clear on top, remo ambassadors on bottom

god these drums feel so good to play!

...I recognize Ed Belfour, and Johnny Bauer. Is that other picture Frank Mahovolich ?

I was going to make a joke about having your drums so close to that much leaf-ro-bilia might cause them to choke, but I am an Oiler fan, and have no reason to gloat.

Nice drums by the way.

barry

Love the New Classics man. That sparkle is to die for. Great find.
That photo with the vintage piano and wooden music stand is also classic.
I would have to re-shoot that photo and put it on the wall. Very cool.

I was thinking the same thing.

By the way, y'all are in a cool club.

Mine was about double that, but that's because it was new. (I still can't figure out how gruntersdad got that steal of a deal!) I don't regret it at all, as this is a great deal for top quality professional drums. Make sure you get the tom arms and clamps that are supposed to come with the kit. They didn't have a set of matching tom arms, so I have 3 different brands. Great stock heads, amazing finish that is a subtle burst, and great quality hardware.

My old export 16"x16" floor tom weighed much much less than my new Renown 14x14 floor tom, just to give you an idea.

I got lucky. The guy wanted 900.00. I was patient, waited 2 weeks, he went down to 700.00. When I went to meet him he was an hour late, so he took another 50.00 off. The drums went new from Guitar Center to his house, sat on the floor, never played, to my car. So in essence I got them new at a steal.

Mine is a 70's stop sign kit

With a

14x18 Bass Drum
6x10 Tom
11x14 Floor Tom (not pictured as I don't use it)
9x13 Snare (Converted tom with Yamaha Akira Jimbo Parts)
14 " Roto-Tom
I also have another 9x13 tom which I will keep as a second for another snare

You can hear/see it here...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kFYtfkdL0AY

Drums-from-above.jpg

Kit-1.jpg

Kit-2.jpg

Snare-2.jpg

I am an absolute Gretsch Nut!!!!

Last edited:
Interesting set up. Why the rototom and not the 14 inch floor tom?

05Ric you got one of the most interesting and unique setups I've ever seen. I watched the youtube video the drums sound really good (I really like your playing to). Your cymbal stacks sound great. Speaking of the cymbals you got any specs on them?

Hello all,

I'm new to this Forum but the Gretsch thread caught my eye. I have a few Gretsch kits and am a Gretsch NUT!
Here is my newest kit, a 2007 USA Custom in Millennium Maple in 10 12 14 6 22 that I will be taking out on tour this year with new Country/Pop Artist Shari Lynn, along with a Vineyard COB 5x14 snare drum.
Also at home are two '80's Gretsch kits, one being an '81 Rosewood 12 14 20 and a set from 1984 or so in 10 12 13 14 22 in Black Nitron wrap...among others!

Have a peek at:

www.drummerneil.ca/page5.html

Neil.

Last edited:
Wow 05Ric, what a cool setup! I'd love to get the chance to play those drums! Really cool stuff. That snare looks pretty killer. I don't understand the choice of the rototom over the floor tom, but whatever works for you. Again, awesome setup.

EDIT: Neil, just saw your drums. Just beautiful, I like your setups as well.

Back