Drum Instruction DVD & Book Reviews

Hi Stu:

Just read your reviews. I have all these DVD's too - and you spoke exactly out, what I thought, but didn't want to say.....

Perhabs this: Thomas Lang: at the moment Hudson Music is shooting a new one with him.

Tommy Igoe: Yes, he couldn't resist to throw some in always at the end - just to spice it up - but so it's a beginner DVD, it was no room to explain.

All drumming problems will be solved, when the new JoJo DVD comes out!!!!!!!!

Again, many thanks for your in deep reviews.

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
All drumming problems will be solved, when the new JoJo DVD comes out!!!!!!!!
Bernhard

A new JoJo DVD!? Great! Please keep us updated!

NAME:
Marco Minneman Extreme Drumming
STAR RATING:
# # # # #
WORDED RATING:
An amazing instructional DVD for what I consider the most difficult aspect of drumming. Very inspirational DVD to say the least.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate to Advanced, but there are also some interdependence exercises that could be useful to beginners.
PUBLISHED BY:
Warner Bros.
DESCRIPTION:
His videos on this site don't even touch Marco's full range of skills. Accompanied by a master bassist and an amazing keyboardist, Marco shows how you can apply interdependence and extreme grooving to music. Just because Marco has a double bass pedal, foot snare, and at least 4 different high hats, it does not limit what you can learn from this video. After a few introductory songs, Marco proceeds to play a song with his band in one chapter, then in the next chapter break down the groove limb-by-limb. Many of his songs are written in odd time signatures, so he also breaks down playing different time signatures with each limb. Once he does this with most of the songs on the DVD, he goes into some other lessons such as showmanship (stick tricks including the REAL BUDDY RICH STICK TRICK (not RRL)), hand technique (moeller, finger control), how to analyze time signatures (taking audio clips from movies/TV and playing along with them), and of course, some extreme interdependence exercises. He plays some interesting fills, but he doesn't really break them down because this DVD is mainly for 4 limb interdependence. I would say the only thing that disappoints me about this DVD, is that he uses the push-pull technique and doesn't explain it, but anyone should be able to learn this technique from reading the one handed roll thread.

Don't forget you can donate to Bernhard's cause! (I just donated $25)

If you have the 2005 Modern Drummer Festival DVD, I'm off to buy it right now....

Stu

Stanton Moore - Take it to the Street!

This is something currently being marketed by Carl Fischer as two DVD's and one book+CD package.

I own both DVD's, which have been broken into "traditional approach" and "modern approach" to New Orleans drumming.

I think that the review of these DVD's is going to be very personal...my roomate and i have different opinions, which is great.

First, the cost is $29.95 USA for each DVD----average i guess, but together that's $60.00 with no booklet and no printable pdf files...i think all current and future DVD's should include pdf files for working with the DVD...it's cheap and easy to produce.

Running Time, 60 min. per DVD----below average if you ask me...for that little running time it probably should only be one DVD, that's marketing, blah.

Do the TWO DVD's crossover material???? YES, too much for the cost.

Moore covers a lot of ground here...talking about his influences being from New Orleans (the heart of modern drumming)...he talks about Baby Dodds and how the jazz ride pattern evolved from his playing on the snare...then people played time on the ride, then hats, etc.
how he incorporates things that other drummers did before him whether they were playing a kit or marching in a parade...the evolution of the New orleans rhythms...incorporating brazilian, latin, and afro-cuban feel to his sticking and groove theory.

His rock and funk feel is covered as well.(Earl Palmer = New Orleans too!)

He goes over a few different sticking patterns RRLRRLRL, LLRLRLRR, etc...and how to make them feel a lot of different ways with different accents and inflection (snare in particular)
If you are a fan of Stanton Moore and of the New Orleans stuff that he focuses on (there is a lot of other stuff happening in New Orleans obviously) then you will be very happy.

The Production is top notch with an amazing group of musicians playing with him throughout the two hours (George Porter, Ivan Neville, Little Rascals)

For the Money I would be happier purchasing this as One DVD set with some written explanation of the techniques he discuses.

Also, he barely mentions his feet and never mentions his left foot, a BIG MISS as far as I'm concerned, he rocks the hats with his foot and does some really fun stuff with that 26" bass drum via remote.

HONESTLY---> If you're not already a fan of what Moore is doing and where it came from then don't purchase these DVD's...If you just want some ideas go to www.vicfirth.com and download the pdf of PASIC 2005 and watch the stuff there (as well as here) it will give you a lot of the same ideas, plus it's written down for you.

If you are already a fan and want a well produced educational series that documents the evolution of modern drumming with a Moore slant then it is well worth the money...The footage of the various bands playing the grooves as he explaned them is very helpful and enjoyable.

For Both Videos ### 1/2 (probably ####, but there is too much overlap between the two)

If you want to purchase only one of these it should be "modern approach" same technique stuff and then some without as much history.(i appreciate the history lesson though)

enjoi

NAME:
Stanton Moore : Take it to the street - Book + CD
STAR RATING:
# # # #
WORDED RATING:
I only bought the book+ CD package, and I havn't seen the DVDs associated (see previous post...) . However, I find that the book stands pretty well on its own. Lots of accents variations, Good explanations, and good balance between exercises and the author's views on how to approach them. I am new to those rhythms, and I found in this book infinite learning opportunities.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate to Advanced. Most exercises demonstrated on the CD are played much too fast in my opinion to be useful as a learning tool. It only serves as a target to reach, a pretty far target for me though
PUBLISHED BY:
Carl Fisher

Last edited:
Getting Started on Drums, Featuring Tommy Igoe

The above sounds similar to Dave Weckl's: Back to Basics, which I own now and appreciated very much. If anyone has seen both, would you recommend purchasing "Getting started on Drums" AND "Back to Basics?" Is there very much overlap in content?

NAME:Bruford And The Beat (Video).

STAR RATING:*****

WORDED RATING: Truly exceptional, you can really benefit from the experience, and wisdom of one of the best drummers ever.

TARGET AUDIENCE: Anyone who likes good music, and wants to learn.

PUBLISHED BY: Hudson Music (I think).

DESCRIPTION: The two main elements of this video are clips of Bill Bruford talking about his musical career, explaining his personal approach to drumming, and his unique style, and offering advice, and talking about drumming concepts in general. The other element is clips of him playing, mostly on his own. Playing solos, and demonstrating techiques and ideas that he explains. There is also a full performance of 'discipline' with king crimson.

This is a very refreshing, inspiring, and original approach to drum instruction, as it is geared soully twoards the creative aspects of the art its self, and at no point trys to tell the veiwer what to do. I think many people would also find this video inspiring, and highly useful. But if your looking for something more technique orientated, I would reccomend 'When in doubt roll' which is an instructional book by Bill Bruford. Both video, and book aren't widely available, but you should be able to find them on the internet with a little effort.

whats goin on everyone. i been playin drums for three years now for my church and i just bought my first set. yea im excited but people tell me im pretty good but i need to hit that next level. there are allot of talented drummers on here and i need advice on a dvd that enhance my playin all around. ne thing would be a great blessing.

Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD REVIEWS

RudimentalDrummer said:
Musical Drumming in Different Styles

I have a question ... does greg actually explain all the different techniques and ideas he uses in each song in depth? Like if he does some perplexing, cool fill in a song, does he break it down stroke by stroke?

I just bought Mel Bay's "Complete Modern Drumset" DVD which comes with a book also. Frank Briggs is the drummer and it covers everything from rudiments to different world beats. Mozambiques, Sambas etc... Frank does not talk at all during the entire video but I picked up some great licks and ideas from this DVD book combo. Reasonable price as well 32 dollars at my local music store for the DVD and the book.I would reccomend this instructional for intermediate.

I always wonder why Frank Briggs isn't mentioned much. He is a great drummer, and that book is very cool too.

$32 seems pretty steep though! I think I got mine for like $12.99!

Stu

does ANYONE (maybe bernhard?) know when JoJo's DVD will be out, I'm kind of waiting for it =)

TITLE: Dave Weckl's Natural Evolution
STAR: * * * * * + :)
Comment:

Really really great for hand technique. It's for pro, semi-pro and beginners.
Certainly recommended for everyone who holds the stick right at the back. Dave changed his technique after maybe 30 years of drumming. He explains how he gained insight that he used the "wrong" technique for 30 years and explains the "right" one and the differences between the two. Everything is really great and detailled explained.

I recommend it especially to everyone who plays "Keit Carlockish"......it will change your playing!!!!!! And you'll understand it actually feels better :)

The only thing what I'm not so positive about is wen he explains the foot technique. Almost te whole DVD is about hand technique but at the end he still wants to say something about foot technique....he only gives one possibility.....and I actually don't agree with him at that point

Title: Steve Smith Drum Technique and History of the U.s Beat
Hudson Music
Comment:
The Technique DVD is really great. He begins explaining very basic but VERY important techniques - hands and feet. And he explains how to develop a swing feeling and approach. Really great. I recommend it to everyone - beginner and advances and pro.

The History DVD is quite amusing. Like previously said, it's not instructional, but fun to watch and learn about te fundation of jazz (witch is very important). But te biggest dissapointement was Vital Information. I never heard such tasteless music. And especially tasteless guitar-playing. Awsome technique, but the music and musicality(te last one is for the guitar player) = 0,0000!

Pedro said:
But te biggest dissapointement was Vital Information. I never heard such tasteless music. And especially tasteless guitar-playing. Awsome technique, but the music and musicality(te last one is for the guitar player) = 0,0000!

Frank Gimbale. Love him or hate him, the guy can play.

Hi,
Good day to everybody!
It's my first time here.
Could somebody introduce me some books that the drummer and bass player can practice together?
thanks a lot.

Name
Traveling Through Time
Star Rating
# # # # #
Worded Rating
Amazing solos and interplay between Horacio "EL Negro" Hernandez (top Latin drumset player) and Giovanni Hidalgo (top conguero) with educational breakouts. Inspirational!
Target Audience
Latin musicians, drummers and percussionists looking for ideas for soloing and how to play off of each other. Inspirational for all, more comprehensible for intermediate, advanced players.
Publisher
Warner Bros.
Description
(A Caveat: I'm a percussionist (congas, djembe, pandeiro, etc.) not a drumset player, who happens to like reading this forum to get ideas from all of you drumset players -- just so you know my biases and where I'm coming from. Perhaps a drumset player who has seen the video can add his/her comments and perspective.)

This DVD, one of my all time favorites, is a hybrid performance/instructional DVD. It features just Giovanni and El Negro in a nicely done up studio, with a variety of camera angles, allowing you to see plenty of Horacio's left foot clave technique. Overall the production is great.

It's a tremendous example of how to develop soloing ideas from a combination of rudiments and Latin rhythms. The sheer musicality of these guys and the way they play off of each other and bend the rhythms back and forth is amazing. As is their technique: Giovanni has blinding speed, and is noted for pioneering the use of rudiments on congas and the ability to mimic the multiple rebounds you can get with sticks with just his hands (although he is frustratingly coy about exactly how he does it -- my teacher asked him in person and his advice was basically the same as on his videos: practice hard). Horacio has incredible indendence, and strikes me as being amazingly relaxed and balanced while his limbs whirl around all of his bells, cymbals and toms. (Drumset players, what do you think of him?). You'll get more out of this if you are familiar w/ Latin timelines and rhythms like songo, comparsa, rumba clave and the 6/8 bell, or are good at absorbing rhythms quickly, as they demonstrate them only in passing while breaking down and explaining the inspiration for their solos. To tell the truth I get a little lost when they talk about how they combine different metric feels (e.g. a 6/8 and 5/4 feel within a 9/8 meter on Enea) but I don't have any formal instruction in that area. There is no instruction on basic techniques/patterns on this DVD, but it's great for what it is, with a lot of inspiration and food for thought.

tcl1627 said:
Does anyone know of any good books or dvd's on conga playing?

The Tomas Cruz series (books w/ DVDs included, from Mel Bay, available at amazon.com) is excellent for learning conga parts for Salsa, Latin Jazz, etc. and is the only source I know of if you want to learn the newer timba "gears" (in the third book of the series). Tomas is one of the better Cuban congueros of his generation, and the DVDs let you watch his technique and play along. What's especially nice is that many of the play alongs are first built up stroke by stroke in one DVD chapter at a very slow tempo, then played in their entirety at a reasonable tempo for a beginner in the next, so you can hear what they should sound like. His co-writers do a good job of making everything clear. The books include exercises, rhythms, examples of "recursos" (short solos/fills), Tomas' listening suggestions, and in the third book, a concise explanation of how to "think musically" and play the different "gears" in the new timba genre of salsa, which made sense to me when I read it, although I haven't actually tried it out yet -- I'm starting on the second book (and timba pickup bands are few and far between here). Everything is taught in clave when applicable on the DVDs, which is important if you are going to be playing Afro-Cuban music. Although you don't need to read music to follow the books, if you do you will find the notation system (from Cuba) to be a real plus. It uses different kinds of note heads (I think that's what they're called) for the different strokes. Their system is much clearer than that in other books like Poncho Sanchez's and Rudy Gajate-Garcia's, where you constantly have to look down to see the letters that they have written under the staff to understand which stroke you are supposed to be playing, something which has always bothered me about those books. (5 stars)

Two other books that I highly recommend are Conga Drumming and Hip Grooves for Hand Drums, both available from amazon.com or direct from the authors at dancinghands.com. These books are well written in a conversational style, have excellent explanations of how to make all of the different strokes and play the rhythms, and come with CDs. They use the authors own version of "rhythm box" notation which is VERY clear and easy to follow (even if you don't read music). Conga Drumming is more for playing congas in traditional Afro-Cuban percussion ensembles (rumba, bembe, and similar styles) while Hip Grooves teaches a bunch of beats and rhythms applicable in a wide variety of genres. The Dancing Hand's Conga Drumming DVD has a fun, encouraging, friendly feel, but is basically just to complement the book -- it doesn't have that much information and the book breaks things down for you much better. (5 stars for the books, 4 for the DVD)

Bobby Sanabria's videos are pretty clear, and a lot of other people speak highly of them, but they're only available on VHS, which means backing up to go over something again is a pain. (4 stars)

Giovanni Hidalgo's Conga Virtuoso DVD has some nice solos, and he explains some common rhythms and how how he uses rudiments in his playing, but it will be easier to learn technique and rhythms from the above books/DVDs. Giovanni's explanations are not the clearest and he plays so fast at times that his hands are a blur. Put off buying this one for later. (3 stars)

I have hardly used Poncho Sanchez's book. The others had nicer layouts and were just easier to get into. He doesn't seem to offer anything that is not done better somewhere else. (1 star)

Rudy Gajate-Garcia talks about how to work with drummers, something that is not in the other books, but for me it's not worth the price of the book (I can summarize what he says in one sentence: your job is NOT to lay down the backbeat, so lay off the slaps on two and four, and focus on complementing the drummer's rhythm). Other than that, I think that the Dancing Hands and Tomas Cruz books do a better job with everything, so go with them. (3 stars)

Last edited:
Gavin Harrison DVD review

NAME: RHYTHMIC VISIONS by Gavin Harrison

STAR RATING: ####

WORDED RATING: Worth a view, but GET THE BOOKS!

TARGET AUDIENCE: Intermediate-Advanced

PUBLISHED BY: Warner Bros.

DESCRIPTION: Gavin takes a look at beat displacement, metric modulation and more in this, his follow-up DVD to his 'Rhythmic Illusions' and 'Rhythmic Perspectives' books. The DVD is good, but I personally gained more information from the books. Both 'Illusions' and 'Perspectives' contain a wealth of knowledge. Most players won't get too far into them before being stumped by something! It seems that on paper he is more concise and clear about how these shifting patterns can be achieved and applied. But the DVD does contain some great playing from Harrison, who can certainly weave in, out and around any constant time pulse. It's worth checking out- hearing and seeing the performance is often a better teacher than a book anyway.

CLOSING: Get it? Or don't get it? You could go either way with this DVD. But if you really want to expand your rhythmic vocabulary, do NOT pass up Gavin's books!

Back