MacBook Question

con struct

Platinum Member
My Macbook was purchased in 2007. The other day I tried to run Pandora and got an error message saying that I needed the a new operating system.

I looked up MacBook operating system and there is indeed a new one. So I click for more info and find that I also need something called Snow Leopard. When I clicked for more info on that things became pretty vague.

I'm hoping someone among the many tech-minded people here can help to straighten me out on the MacBook operating system/Snow Leopard kerfluffle.

I'm guessing your 2007 macbook is running Tiger (10.4.x), as that is what it came with. Since then there has been Leopard (10.5.x), Snow Leopard (10.6.x), and the newest Lion (10.7.x). Take note that there is a difference between upDATE, and upGRADE. An update is free within each version. So if you are running Tiger, you should have 10.4.11, which was the last official update for that version. Read all about it in http://support.apple.com/kb/DL172. On the other hand, an upgrade is a completely new operating system, and is bought. In theory, all of them can run on your macbook, however ....

I'm also guessing you've got only 1gb of ram. Because each newer version needed more resources, you'd need more ram to upgrade. Leopard will run better with 2gb. Snow Leopard and Lion are OK with 4gb. So you'd want to add if you upgrade.

Lastly, Pandora is supposed to run on Tiger, based on specs. Try updating first, then check out if it will run.

Ah, I see. Looking into that I see that you are correct: I have Tiger, then, and I have 10.4.11.

You are also correct about my RAM, it's 1gb.

First rate stuff; thanks makinao. Snow Leopard might make things run slow? I hate the sound of that. More RAM, that seems pricey. I'll have to think it over.

Jay, use this site to order more RAM. It's half of what Apple wants or more. I have used it twice. Once on my Macbook and once on my iMac . Never an issue and it takes 20 minutes to change.

http://www.macsales.com/

Look up your model, by year and type and you can see what they offer.

If you wait a few more months the new operating sys will be in place.
My Mac is three years old and I plan on buying a new MacBook Pro then.

If you wait a few more months the new operating sys will be in place.
My Mac is three years old and I plan on buying a new MacBook Pro then.

I'd very much like to get a Pro, Bob. My wife has one and it's a world away from my old Macbook.

If I had the money I'd get one tomorrow.

There comes a time in a computers life when it just isn't worth upgrading.
My MacBook has reached that time.
3 years old is like 100 years old in computer years.

I think mine is coming to four years now, remarkable really just how well it's running. I just wish I hadn't dropped it once, as it now doesn't really close properly.

There comes a time in a computers life when it just isn't worth upgrading.
My MacBook has reached that time.
3 years old is like 100 years old in computer years.

I'm pretty sure you could just add some more RAM, and it'll be fine.

Back