This is not a goodbye thread

Everything is locked up tight here Gregg. Don't you know we're the gang capital of North America. We've had more gang related by rival member to member shootings resulting in death this year than the number of gigs in total i've done in 09!. Maybe they'll all do each other in so it will the nice place to live again like it was when I first moved here in the 80's. Still a lovely place to live with some good creative players to play with here on the Coast.

Yes you better get those suitcases.. err....I mean plastic bags :} packed. Remember to put anything small made of metal or they can percieve to be a unboard threat in the underbelly of the plane NOT in your carry on!

Have a great trip and do visit some of our DW members in Yorkshire and up in Manchester down the road. The trains out of London are fast and efficient to all points North...... by a Brit Rail pass..... you can have a pint on the train too :}

Start packing.....:}

Yeah, I figured you guys locked up your stuff too! Is that really true about the gangs? Wow, crazy, I thought Toronto was bad!!! I've always wanted to visit Vancouver, though that now seems unlikely as I hate flying and I'm moving much further away from you! I have to admit something only Canadians will get, James Barber (RIP) made me want to visit Vancouver!

Yeah man, I WISH I could just chuck things in plastic bags. There's a good story of how Paul Motian saw Joey Baron many years ago in the airport with a paper bag of sticks, whist Paul was carrying all his gear (or at least his cymbals). Paul said 'where's the rest of your gear?' Joey- notorious for using whatever's available- replied that he just carried that bag with some sticks and underwear on tour! But uh, no I don;t really have a good suitcase, so I'm probably going to pack a bass drum bag instead, which the airline said was cool. Good for me as it's much lighter than a suitcase!

I did a purge of my wee 18" cymbal bag that I'm carrying on (with cymbals) for all manner of sharp, metal things and so on. Deadliest thing I have is my manhole cover of an 18" prototype ride=).

I will absolutely visit anyone any everyone who will have me. I guess maybe that's part of why I started this thread. I kinda wanted to get a look at Britain from others, I want each persons perspective, you know? You're all going to want to show and tell me different things, tell me stuff about your town or place, or your own experiences, what's important to each of you. And I think that is pretty f*****g cool, I must say.

Thanks,

GB

Freebird. Unfortunately Gregg and I have already fallen out over football teams, myself being an Arsenal supporter...

Yea I got a good impression of Canada from BFC too lol. But I dunno it just seems like nice place, friendly neighbours to the north and all that. I don't have any real knowledge of the place. I suppose I'd just like to be somewhere where it snows at christmas lol.

The second city thing is more of a status/pride thing, nothing official. Some people say that Manchester should be the capital (mainly people from Manchester lol) but obviously it's never going to be so we settle with 'second city'.

Oh and it's Man U ftw. The rest of my family are city fans so it causes trouble :p If you're coming to England you're going to have pick a team. You can't just say you're neutral. Just to prepare you before any footy fans probe you! :p

You want snow? You can HAVE IT!! lol. Man, this year we had snow banks over my bloody head most of the season. You WANT that??? I'd like to be somewhere it DOESN'T.=)

Gotcha about the second city, of course Mancs would say that though=). Didn't you guys invent the butty or something like that?

Heh, er football. See, I have a club, for sure but I think I will TRY and stay neutral because no matter how much I LOVE that club, I can't relate to the kind of violence and fervour rivalries create there. I make no secret (even on here!=) that I'm a 4th Gen Manchester Utd supporter and defend myself for it constantly. In Canada, it's not liek they show many other matches besides the big 4. I'm coming to Old Trafford for a match as soon as I have the money, but I don't mind saying: no Stretford End for me, and I will be terrified! lol.

(Since we're talking about this now both you and Eddie: what do you think of the Ronaldo and Tevez vacancies? Who do you think can fill the shoes? I'm saying they need to look at people like Torres-who is going nowhere; David Villa- who is likely going to Real and maybe Benzema and Ribery, but I think they'll need more- that's a LOT of goals, speed and free kicks to account for. They are looking at Valencia and he's not good enough IMO. They need massive signings, I think or be prepared to pull an Arsenal and build up the young guys like Macheda and Wellbeck while taking a hit in quality for a while. And please, SAF for Gods sake, please just let Nani off the bus somewhere and ask him not to come back.)

GB

Freebird. Unfortunately Gregg and I have already fallen out over football teams, myself being an Arsenal supporter...

But we fell back in over....what was it again?

(p.s. Arsenal sucks. I'm saying it now because trust me, when I get to England, I will not be saying anything like 'insert football club here sucks' for quite sometime. Except to you. But not in your house. Maybe in your house. At least in the yard, for sure.

GB

Have a great trip and do visit some of our DW members in Yorkshire and up in Manchester down the road. The trains out of London are fast and efficient to all points North...... by a Brit Rail pass..... you can have a pint on the train too :}

The trains are a lot lot better then they were 10 years ago. After they were privatised by the wicked witch of lincolnshire back in the 80s their service went down hill pretty rapidly and you'd be lucky if your train was there an hour after it said it would be. Now though, it's a lot better. Also about the pint thing yeah i think European laws are a lot more relaxed about drinking and that, i remember someone in Canada said that apparently you're not allowed to put alcohol in the driving compartment of a car and stuff like that? Well we have some silly enough laws here, like health and safety. Apparently i have to be trained to use a ladder.

The second city thing is more of a status/pride thing, nothing official. Some people say that Manchester should be the capital (mainly people from Manchester lol) but obviously it's never going to be so we settle with 'second city'.

Oh and it's Man U ftw. The rest of my family are city fans so it causes trouble :p If you're coming to England you're going to have pick a team. You can't just say you're neutral. Just to prepare you before any footy fans probe you! :p

Maybe after the war people will be so mad at the government for "surrendering" that they will force them out of london and they will have to set up a government in exile in Manchester and will forever be known as "The Manchester Republic"?

I'm glad you lot like footie so much. I'm not really a buff on the game or anything but i do support city. Hull City that is lol. £40 for a team shirt though? no thanks mate.

Well I think I've fallen out with you now too.

Heh, er football. See, I have a club, for sure but I think I will TRY and stay neutral because no matter how much I LOVE that club, I can't relate to the kind of violence and fervour rivalries create there. I make no secret (even on here!=) that I'm a 4th Gen Manchester Utd supporter and defend myself for it constantly. In Canada, it's not liek they show many other matches besides the big 4. I'm coming to Old Trafford for a match as soon as I have the money, but I don't mind saying: no Stretford End for me, and I will be terrified! lol.

(Since we're talking about this now both you and Eddie: what do you think of the Ronaldo and Tevez vacancies? Who do you think can fill the shoes? I'm saying they need to look at people like Torres-who is going nowhere; David Villa- who is likely going to Real and maybe Benzema and Ribery, but I think they'll need more- that's a LOT of goals, speed and free kicks to account for. They are looking at Valencia and he's not good enough IMO. They need massive signings, I think or be prepared to pull an Arsenal and build up the young guys like Macheda and Wellbeck while taking a hit in quality for a while. And please, SAF for Gods sake, please just let Nani off the bus somewhere and ask him not to come back.)

GB

I think Ronaldo and Tevez leaving was inevitable, Ronaldo is just arrogant and does what he wants when he wants, and Tevez's agent does some suspicious business deals. We are building up quite a few young players at the minute like Arsenal (Rafael etc) so I don't think we're going to win much next year. But I bet my life that Fergie pulls a killer signing out of knowhere that will provide vital to next season, unless he buys another Berbatov. He's just so... meh.

Actually MFB, out of southern teams I'd much rather support Arsenal than some of the others. mainly Chelsea.

Chelsea. *spits on the ground*.

That is what you must do every time after saying the name.

Um, I've lived here all my life and I've alwas been football-neutral...no-one told me I had to pick a team! What's going to happen to me if I don't?

I've been here nearly 22 years, isn't it about time someone did something about it?

MFB, that dependth on how bad your lithp ith, doethn't it?

Indeed, but Woger must be weleased.

But it's Chelsea. Admitting you have money in England is vulgar. Manchester City are the richest club in the World, but they haven't been flashing it around the same way. I would almost like them to win if it meant United didn't.

First, I agree, Ronaldo was always going to go and as much as I hate his BS, his skill is astounding- very hard to replace! Tevez- you're right- Joorabchian is a tosspot and even though Tevez has some skill, mostly he was pulling an Alan Smith (who I like alot though): running almost fast at everyone with the ball and occasionally nicking a goal. Of course I expect SAF to pull a major signing too, but I'm afraid he wont!

Berba is hilarious. I think he is a beautiful player, great technique, good eye and so on. Of course he is one lazy bastard. I read this on an MUFC forum regarding the deal offered to Tevez: SAF: 'Well sure you can start every game, it's just that I have to listen to Rooney or he'll deck me and Berba is too lazy to come off the bench, but aside from that, you're in'. =) I like Berba, but he cost too much, plus, he needs to integrate better with the rest of the team. I also greatly miss Hargreaves- poor guy may never be back!

Second, I dunno Duncan- I think signing Robinho and basically saying that they are literally going to bid for EVERYONE means City is doing the same as Chelsea. Look at their last minute bid for Kaka! The difference is they don't have evil Roman behind them, which I admit makes them less.....I dunno.....terrible?

Eddie- I was read a number of bizarre English laws, like 'it's illegal to shoot a Scot with a crossbow on Sundays', meaning of course, every other day- NO PROBLEM! Ah yes, the laws the House has never repealed. Also that it is illegal to fall asleep on a London bus. It's true, apparently. Here in Canada we can't buy beer at any store anywhere except for a liquor store or a beer store (called 'The Beer Store' ). No open alcohol anywhere in the car, no closed alcohol anywhere but in the trunk. Beer and liquor stores closed on Sundays. What else....I dunno, there's a few more I think, but yeah, we are not lax at all in those areas- I think in many cases Canada takes it's lead from the US way of doing things, which is never really a good idea. (Except that even in the US you can buy beer at many different stores unlike here).

PQ- if you don't, you'll have to move to Canada and call it 'Soccer' and watch the oh-so-un-entertaining MLS!!=)

GB

Eddie- I was read a number of bizarre English laws, like 'it's illegal to shoot a Scot with a crossbow on Sundays', meaning of course, every other day- NO PROBLEM! Ah yes, the laws the House has never repealed. Also that it is illegal to fall asleep on a London bus. It's true, apparently. Here in Canada we can't buy beer at any store anywhere except for a liquor store or a beer store (called 'The Beer Store' ). No open alcohol anywhere in the car, no closed alcohol anywhere but in the trunk. Beer and liquor stores closed on Sundays. What else....I dunno, there's a few more I think, but yeah, we are not lax at all in those areas- I think in many cases Canada takes it's lead from the US way of doing things, which is never really a good idea. (Except that even in the US you can buy beer at many different stores unlike here).

There are some laws like you're allowed to shoot a scotsman in york minster on wendsdays with a longbow and that every person above the age of 10 has to learn archery. Clearly they're not enforced any more and you WOULD be nicked if you did actually shoot a scotsman with a longbow in wednsday in york minster.
I was on more about the stupid health and safety laws that seem to suggest that common sense doesn't apply anymore, like having to be trained to do a deadlift if you do work which requires moving boxes around. Do they do that in canada? I'm glad our alcohol laws aren't like in the US though where you're not allowed to go out on a night if you go to college and you're under 21 in case you go to a bar and have a drink. I hope the EU don't start making laws against alcohol, mind you i'm sure the french would have something to say about that XD.

I'm glad our alcohol laws aren't like in the US though where you're not allowed to go out on a night if you go to college and you're under 21 in case you go to a bar and have a drink. I hope the EU don't start making laws against alcohol, mind you i'm sure the french would have something to say about that XD.

Thats not a law in the US that Im aware of. I go out at night all the time and Im under 21. You cant go in a bar until youre 21, the legal drinking age, though.

There are some laws like you're allowed to shoot a scotsman in york minster on wendsdays with a longbow and that every person above the age of 10 has to learn archery. Clearly they're not enforced any more and you WOULD be nicked if you did actually shoot a scotsman with a longbow in wednsday in york minster.
I was on more about the stupid health and safety laws that seem to suggest that common sense doesn't apply anymore, like having to be trained to do a deadlift if you do work which requires moving boxes around. Do they do that in canada? I'm glad our alcohol laws aren't like in the US though where you're not allowed to go out on a night if you go to college and you're under 21 in case you go to a bar and have a drink. I hope the EU don't start making laws against alcohol, mind you i'm sure the french would have something to say about that XD.

Suuuure , they pick and choose what ones to enforce! The best thing about laws is that they are almost invariably in place because the issue has been some sort of problem. For example, Wednesdays are a peak day for crossbow slayings? Or perhaps midweek works best for some reason? The over 10 archery thing, and some others are indeed self explanatory when you think of it historically, but why can I not fall asleep on a London bus??!!

No deadlift training here, but I bet it's from way back when, when people were getting injured left right and centre trying to lift horses and whatever it was way back when people were lifting. Maybe companies got sued even, or worse!

Brit, don't be so sure, there are regionnal laws too, don;t forget. It just isn't like that for you in NJ. Like it is illegal to sever alcohol in some parts of the US, like Utah with the mormons, and Rockport Mass. (where I went on vacation and loved it, but it was a 'dry town'- you could bring your own (closest place was in New Hampshire though) but it was illegal to serve. You'd be surprised man! In Mass. alone there are quite a few weird ones, including a sign literally posted on the motorway going south out of the city- something about horses (I forget what the rule was).

By the way, back to Manchester for a moment- I forgot to mention that Life on Mars IS filmed there, which I like.=)

GB

Gregg, apparently parts of Wales are dry.

When we get lost in the car, let's hope we never end up in Wales.

Back