Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

Thanks for the quick reponse, they look great, do you know anything about the traditional 'funk' hi-hats?

Tom

Thanks for the quick reponse, they look great, do you know anything about the traditional 'funk' hi-hats?

Tom

Haven't played or heard them in person Tom but like I say these heavier Empire hats have a versatile character that can cover alot of ground fitting into a wide range of musical settings.

24" SE TW Jazz Ride 2534g

Attachments

• 24 SE TW Jazz Ride {front} 2534g.jpg
    24 SE TW Jazz Ride {front} 2534g.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,505
  • 24 SE TW Jazz Ride {back} 2534g.jpg
    24 SE TW Jazz Ride {back} 2534g.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
Being that thin it's worthy of my collection!

I didn't know they made 24" TW, only 22"? Are the TW and 25th aniversary rides still being produced?

I was waiting to see who might of noticed this cymbal:}

Quite a story behind it as always but to keep it short. It is indeed an ULTRA rare sample at this weight and was sitting in storage since produced specifically at this size and lighter weight by Agop for the local Canadian Agop distributor a few years back only to be spotted and tested by me yesterday during some moving of stock well connecting with the distributor on another cymbal related matter. I instantly fell in love with it's sound.

Yes it is very light for a 24" SE TW Jazz Ride at 2534g probably the lightest they made at this size but here's the BIG surprise guys THE STICK SOUND. First off the woody defined stick click sound is to die for sitting on top of the deepest richest sounding wash i've heard to date on a Agop ride cymbal. Sure it has some wash but it's not really trashy but very dark, smooth in overtones combined with a deep amazing shimmer of highs and lows in the mix. Never builds up to the point of overtaking the stick sound but creates a wonderful full cushion of underwash to play off. The crash sound is very responsive and sounds like an entire orchestra of pleasing overtones when it opens up.

When I tested it on it's own I noticed the stick sound right away and tried hard to see at this weight if it could get lost played hard. No go it stayed put. I was truly impressed. It must relate specifically to the very detailed hand labour work ie: hammering/lathing on this larger thin ride cymbal to have pulled this off being none to easy of a task to do at this weight and size you can well imagine. However the artisans at Agop achieved it which is truly impressive in my view.

Used it today with a quartet and it really sounded wonderful with other instruments. The low fundamental pitch of this 24" ride really makes it easy to blend in and hear the other instruments in a acoustic jazz setting even when played hard for up swing.

A rare ride cymbal beauty that crossed my path I will treasure for sure.

Last edited:
Being that thin it's worthy of my collection!

I didn't know they made 24" TW, only 22"? Are the TW and 25th aniversary rides still being produced?

I'm not sure about these ultra rare thin 24"s but I know that the Canadian distributor still gets the 22" SE TW's in with regular shipments Latin Groover. The 20.5" 25th Anniversary rides are still being produced and are currently available.

Always these great pictures. How do you take them? What kind of cam do you have, and fo you use flash?

Thanks. I use no flash just natural light coming through a window and position the hand held camera to get the best light angle to show the detailed hand hammering.

I'll have give you the specifics on the camera later Tom Sawyer since when needed I borrow it off a friend so i'm not sure about the make and model of it off the top of my head at the moment.

Thanks. I use no flash just natural light coming through a window and position the hand held camera to get the best light angle to show the detailed hand hammering.

I'll have give you the specifics on the camera later Tom Sawyer since when needed I borrow it off a friend so i'm not sure about the make and model of it off the top of my head at the moment.

I have the specifics on the camera now Tom Sawyer. It's a Kodak EasyShare C603. The owner said it cost only $119.00 a few years back. Does a great job for the price. I'ts set for close up mode by the way too for my cymbal pics you see.

One other feature I noticed about this paricular 24" SE TW cymbal is the dramatic edge wobble. The last few inches on the TW models are already thinner and recieve a different style of lathing to begin with. Combine this and being 2534g for a 24" when it really gets going it's like the effect of a fast flicker you see from a partially disengaged fluorescent long tube ceiling bulb when watching from the side profile well being played.

Wow! That Epoch looks so nice! Does it sound a lot like Tony Williams Nefertiti-cymbal?

Yes the sample pictured at 3025g sure has some remarkable similarities to the Nefertiti cymbal especially when recorded or heard in the context of music in a large concert hall.

Still has it's own modern Agop "vibe" and character going to boot. My go-to large ensemble Big Band ride at present mofle.

Wow, I'd have guessed a much more expensive camera, nice.
Proves it's the photographer, not the camera. :)

Great pics on that 24'' too. Looks like an awesome cymbal.

Wow, I'd have guessed a much more expensive camera, nice.
Proves it's the photographer, not the camera. :)

Great pics on that 24'' too. Looks like an awesome cymbal.

I use to be very heavily into photography Tom Sawyer in my younger years. Skills I learned then helped with taking pictures of these handmade Turkish B20 bronze at present :}

I posted my 20" traditional ride earlier and I'm now looking to get a pair of Agop hats and eventually a 17" crash of some sort. What can people recommend hi-hat related, considering I play non-heavy rock, funk, blues, (Kings of Leon covers haha) etc. Nothing where the cymbals are going to take a beating but not ultra light jazz hats.

Thanks guys, and tell me if this post is too irrelevant to the 'pic fest'.
Tom

The Traditional mediums would be great, too.

Back