How has AGE affected your playing style

Other than having to cut a small hole in my drum seat, I think age has seasoned my brain to play a bit more tastefully than I used to.

I find I don't hit my drums as hard.. which might be age or better ( more evolved technique ).

You hit it pretty close. In my younger days I was locked into rock. I practiced hard to play it just like I heard it - no variations allowed! Now, I enjoy all types of music from '60s to present. I listen for the drummer's "intent" and the subtle nuances that I can capitalize. I play better now than ever - and I enjoy it more than ever. I'm 57.

Now I play more simple and with more dynamics. I am better now at 41 but I would never try to "show off" or solo these days- I know my limits. I was more daring at 21.

Can't stay awake past 9 PM anymore but play like hell until then though.

I'm 19 (20 on December 11) and I play metal and listen to metal. Sure, I play and listen to other stuff but metal is my "big one".

My advanced age - LOL - helps me to see things in a clearer and more mature fashion. I'm 47 and getting back into it after a very long layoff. But now I'm beginning to fully understand the value of dynamics when playing with electric vs accustic guitars, wind instruments, brass, etc. And the value of professionalism, maturity, structured rehearsals, etc. Music is so much more than the "turn up the volume and break off the knob" mentality.

Ok, my age dates me...47. I like classic rock, any type of jazz, boogie, red dirt, funk, c and w, and classical. I've never gotten into rap or metal.

I'm 15, but I play pretty much whatever i please. I'm really open minded about styles, but lots of my influence comes from what I listened to when i started playing drums, which was RHCP, which spans out into funk and to heavier rock stuff, but generally I'll play anything.

I'm 14, my birthday is on Wednesday!!

My favorite styles to play are Funk, Blues, Classic Rock, Jazz, and Drum and Bass.

I'm not into that metal music them youngins listen to

Age has taught me not to fear space in the music, and I think its mellowed me enough to realize that Im onstage to carry a full band and deliver the music as ONE UNIT, not to feel I have to stamp my own signature on every tune, every time.

I guess for me its kinda like Jenga, but with notes rather than bricks :) - Ill think to myself "Ok, I can play this rhythm and drive the band a certain way - But how many notes could I take out yet still deliver the same effect?"

THAT is what Im finding most challenging (and rewarding!) these days.

I am 34 and a fairly new drummer about 2 years of serious playing now, I played bass in death metal bands for years but always wanted to drum. I play in a death/thrash band, and I listen to all forms of metal, I have since I was 13. I'm just trying to conquer blast beats and faster than 140bpm kicks right now... once I get that stuff, I'm gonna try to learn jazzier stuff.

I'm 33 and I've mellowed a lot when it comes to how I hit the drums. I've learned to relax more and not hit so hard. When I was 15, I was a basher and I wasted a lot of energy now I still hit pretty hard but with a better technique, I don't go through sticks and cymbals the way I used to. I've also discovered the benefits of other percussion. Check me out at www.reverbnation.com/dirtbeggers.

Over the years, I've improved on quite a few areas important to most drummers - time, what fits in a certain musical context, better technique and efficiency (WIP), and maybe some speed.

The other thing I noticed is that, the older I gotten, the more analytical I've become about drumming (this might have more to do with experience rather than age). This is good in ways that I understand a certain groove and the performer's intention better, but on the other hand, it also prevents me from "just playing".

Back