Amy Winehouse one year later

resohead

Silver Member
When we're asked here to name our favorite bands very few have women in them. I guess we all like the rockers or jazzers...me too. Until 2007 when I went to youtube and searched for Amy Winehouse. I had no idea that this would be the ride of a lifetime.
I've always thought that people following Elvis may be a bit odd. They aren't. He touched them in a way that transcended the music.
I am so fortunate that I was on this planet when Amy was. She was family to me. And she always will be.
I'm like most, I love the bands but don't go too far with it. Amy changed that.
Amy fans were so excited to hear her albums. Sixty years from now a teenager will score a rare Amy vinyl and feel the same joy.
Legend is over-used and sometimes meaningless but Amy will wear that title in time. Some say with two albums you can't be a legend. But if Leonardo de Vinci only painted the Mona Lisa, he would surely be a legend. Amy became legend as soon as Back To Black came out.
Thank you Amy.

Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ludxpkyrab0

AmyWinehouse06.jpg

I disagree. I think if that woman becomes a "legend" simply for releasing a couple of mediocre albums and killing herself through drugs, then imo it really is a sad state of affairs.

There's a good basis for debate here. I think we can somewhat forgive those legends who drank or drugged themselves to death in the 1960s and early 70s (Joplin, Hendrix, etc.). Those were new and different times. It doesn't excuse their stupidity, but that won't change my opinion that they were both geniouses in their own right. It's 40 years later and we should all know better about the hazards of drugs. Amy Winehouse's music was decent enough but I don't feel much sorry for her, same for Curt Kobain. We all make mistakes, but... I don't know.

I disagree. I think if that woman becomes a "legend" simply for releasing a couple of mediocre albums and killing herself through drugs, then imo it really is a sad state of affairs.

I notice there is less vomit now on the floor at concerts, so she did make a difference during her brief time in the spotlight.

Successful people who destroy themselves will, unfortunately, be ridiculed.

I notice there is less vomit now on the floor at concerts, so she did make a difference during her brief time in the spotlight.

Yes - by the feeble-minded who's superior vision of themselves trumps any compassion or understanding of the plights of others. If anyone thinks that hitting the musical jackpot is all that is needed to be happy and well-adjusted, then they should be spending more time thanking their lucky stars. It is very often the case that profound art comes from very dark corners of the human experience. Some people live in those dark corners; they're not just visitors trying to look cool.

Now that I think about it, DMC, why would you bother commenting on a thread like this in that way? You are obviously just flaming. Pretty sure that's against the rules...

Although that angle wipes out about half of my musical inspiration though Ed.

Poor old Amy wasn't the first and she certainly won't be the last.

I'm over people feeling sorry for someone who is/was an addict, and those that OD. No one forced 'em to shoot up or whichever means of getting the crap into their systems they chose. They CHOSE to do 'em. Period. Only people I feel sorry for are the ones they left behind such as family and friends.

not on my time. do you ridicule not famous people for addiction and mental health problems? grow up

I'm over people feeling sorry for someone who is/was an addict, and those that OD. No one forced 'em to shoot up or whichever means of getting the crap into their systems they chose. They CHOSE to do 'em. Period. Only people I feel sorry for are the ones they left behind such as family and friends.

Some people obviously have no clue what drugs do.
Some people could show a little more elegance and respect for those who passed away, whoever and in whatever way.
Although I would 't say her music is revolutionary like Hendrix', Amy lives on on my ipod.

The music will live on, liked or disliked. I understand some people need a crutch at times to be creative or to just get along in the world. But to overdose on drugs when the whole world knows they kill. Maybe pick another crutch, professional help, friends, family etc. I am tired of hearing about "accidental overdoses" They didn't accidently inject themselves. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the latest and knew exactly what he was doing. I too can only feel sorry for those left behind, and maybe if the tragic ones had put a little more faith in them earlier they wouldn't be left behind.

Different strokes for different folks. I never got into her music, but if she inspires you musically, more power to you. I'm sure there are a few members hear that would laugh at some of the musicians that have inspired me over the years.

She was a great talent, like many others gone before their time because of substance abuse. None of us know what demons they were dealing with, sure no one forced them to abuse themselves but unless you know addiction who are we to pass judgement.

Exactly. It's not like these people have a whole lot of free will left in their situation. That's why we call it addiction.

cult of personality...

walk away from the BS stacked around the music and stay with your personal assessment of the music itself.

Standing in judgement of anyone is error realized...I dont know the personal experiences of kurt, janis, amy...and really...I dont want to.

I'm listening to music not marketing.

I think my criticism of her habit or drug use is just as justified as your use of idiot and jackbats to describe forum members. Everyone is allowed their opinion, and you may disagree but refrain from the name calling please. On a personal level I deal with anxiety and depression every day. I see a professional for it. The drug culture within the music business is just that most of the time. If you want to be one of us, use drugs. Climbing off of soap box.

was that me? not sure what a jacbat is. i'm bipolar and see two doctors.(one's a therapist) know what else, so was amy. i apologize to anyone i offended. i'm manic often. now every two weeks rapid cycling. i see the temper when i'm manic. i do my best. good luck on your battle G.
god is the judge.
thanks G

I think my criticism of her habit or drug use is just as justified as your use of idiot and jackbats to describe forum members. Everyone is allowed their opinion, and you may disagree but refrain from the name calling please. On a personal level I deal with anxiety and depression every day. I see a professional for it. The drug culture within the music business is just that most of the time. If you want to be one of us, use drugs. Climbing off of soap box.

one more then i vanish in the mist. not long after i joined here i (for some stupid reason) said i was bipolar. that didn't go well. not at all.

i use an ecig and haven't smoked in almost two years. i didn't learn my lesson and wrote a long post about my life on the ecig forum-suicide attempt, psych ward, meds for thirty years hospitalized for 6 days with a potentially fatal side effect and half my life unaccounted for. they just closed the thread after 6000 views and 400 comments. not a single one negative. none. i was amazed but still wanted to crawl under a rock.

ty drummers

Back