What next? If Anything.

AngelOreo

So.. I am pretty set.. But I can not allow myself to not have a progression path. What would you do next? Below is what I have and what I am thinking I may want to get in the future.. If you have a opinion.. explain it so I understand why as well.

Current:
Tama Rockstar 4/5 Piece
15" New Beats
17" A Custom
19" A Custom
20" Wuhan China
22" Paiste Ride
Elminator Doubles
Standard HH Stand
Tama Masai Snare
Basic Throne

Now.. What I has on my current radar.. is the following.
SKB Cymbal Case
K Custom China
Drum Lesson DVDs\Books
2 new cymbals.. probably A Custom Projections (16/18?)
Elminator HH Stand (cause it matches the pedals)
New Throne

Other Ideas?

JimmyG

All looks nice man! It's about the $$$ when comes to nice stuff.

Do you have cases in general? if you do not and you're going to be hauling your gear around at all, get those first. Unless you know there's absolutely no way you'd be doing serious road work for a long time--whether you'd have to put your gear on a plane or just a large truck with roadies taking care of it--and you're just going to be rehearsing and gigging locally instead, save to get pretty heavy duty hard cases instead--cases where you can imagine someone handling your stuff without much care and it would still be okay. If you know you're only going to be doing local stuff for awhile, and handling your gear yourself, in your car, etc., soft cases would be fine.

Otherwise, out of what you've listed, I'd go with the instructional materials first as long as they'd be of benefit to you (by presenting things you can not already play).

Other than that, for me, I'd start getting more percussion and some electronics, filling in a cymbal here and there as the set grows. I wouldn't replace something like a throne until there's a serious problem with my old one.

Good info.. thanks..

I only take my cymbals to my teachers and a friend now and again. I handle all my own gear.. but my Ride does not fit in the soft bag. That is why I listed the new Cymbal hard case. The drums stay put.

Electronics? Can you clarify?

Thanks again!

If could have only one piece of pro-level equipment it would probably be the throne (I'm a beginner and just practicing alone in my basement).

Electronics? Can you clarify?
One option would be something like an electronic drum kit pad--a drum or cymbal pad. With that, you'd need a sound source, too . . . either an electronic drum module, drum machine (with MIDI), or even just any MIDI keyboard. You'd also need an amplifier.

A better option for just adding one piece, in my opinion, is to get something like this:
korg-wavedrum-460-100-460-70.jpg

Because it has a bunch of sounds built in--you'd just need a small amp for it.

Here's a demo of what you can do with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrso0c14f-s

One option would be something like an electronic drum kit pad--a drum or cymbal pad. With that, you'd need a sound source, too . . . either an electronic drum module, drum machine (with MIDI), or even just any MIDI keyboard. You'd also need an amplifier.

A better option for just adding one piece, in my opinion, is to get something like this:
korg-wavedrum-460-100-460-70.jpg

Because it has a bunch of sounds built in--you'd just need a small amp for it.

Here's a demo of what you can do with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrso0c14f-s

Just watched that video. Cool little drum pad!

I agree with the cymbal case (hard only) and the throne. I was in the hospital for a while and when I got out I decided to get a good throne for comfort. Got a Gibralter for about $125 and it sure makes it more comfortable to play but it has to have it's own carrying case (an old suitcase). My cymbal case is over 30 years old and I have modified it several times. I have one cymbal that just barely fit it it (24" I believe) but it fits. I don't travel with it much any more because it's so darn heavy. May have to rethink that, though.

JimmyG--welcome to the crackpipe known as drum gear! Like you, I too have just about all I need or want, but that will never stop me from looking or buying! Ha! Actually, all I really need is to order a few matching lugs on my little bop kit--see my avatar--so it will have a uniform look. About $80 including shipping. No big deal though. Secondly, I would really like a curved rack with cymbal and tom arms so I can cut back on gear being schlepped around. Plus, everything would be in the same spot each time I set up. Other than that, I'm in good shape gear-wise. Except for two more AA crashes, a new lefty double pedal, Evans G2's all around, cases, and of course, a new Ludwig LM 400 snare. Other than that...

Definitely get the SKB cymbal case. It's worth the money.

And like Brew said, case in general are an important thing to have, especially if you'll be frequently moving your gear around.

I'd suggest getting all Pearl hardware, as it's nice stuff.

There is always something to spend money on. I look everyday on ebay for a deal/steal.

I am currently up-grading all my cymbal stands to Pearl BC-900's. Great hardware by the way. My gigging set (Gretsch Cat's) is done and I'm 2 away from finishing my practice set (Sonor 3007).

I'd like to think that all I have left to get is a piccolo snare and upgrade my hats/splash.. but somehow I know that's not true. I'm addicted to drum gear.

Like others have said, if you are going to be moving your kit a lot, go for some cases for drums/cymbals. Otherwise, some smaller/accent cymbals might be cool, have you thought of those? Both smaller crashes/chinas and splashes are fun to add. And you can never go wrong with new material to learn from, too. If you've got the money, get both cymbals and books!

I didn't have a "what's next?" a couple weeks ago.....
......but I just sent out my Silver Sparkle kit to be re-done in Black Glitter Glass :)

Back