Travis Barker

Yeah ya gotta good point there.I hate saying the dreaded word "mature" but +44's music definitly more mature and thought provoking then Blink-182's music. Not that Blinks music doesn't make ya think but the meanings behind +44's music allows them to be taken much more seriously.

Blink 182 will prob always be one of my favorite bands for a simple reasons. they were fun, funny, and as their careers went on, their music progressed in level of a little thought and more musically wise. I also love blink 182 cause a good amount of their songs i can relate to because i am 16 years old. But on the flip side, after blink broke up +44 evolved and so did AVA and both bands now are more mature than blink 182 as far as thought put into songs lyrically. Basically blink 182 was serious about not being serious and +44 are 2/3 of those same goofy, funny, fun guys of blink but with a more mature presentation on the album (maybe still not in person)

Blink 182 will prob always be one of my favorite bands for a simple reasons. they were fun, funny, and as their careers went on, their music progressed in level of a little thought and more musically wise. I also love blink 182 cause a good amount of their songs i can relate to because i am 16 years old. But on the flip side, after blink broke up +44 evolved and so did AVA and both bands now are more mature than blink 182 as far as thought put into songs lyrically. Basically blink 182 was serious about not being serious and +44 are 2/3 of those same goofy, funny, fun guys of blink but with a more mature presentation on the album (maybe still not in person)

Couldn't have been said any better. All three of those bands are really good in their own way.

I havent red all of the posts because it would take to long so im not sure if someone has already posted it or not.

I think that he is a good drummer but highly over-rated. All of my non-drummer friends will talk to me about Travis Barker as if he was the only drummer on the planet. They know him because hes the drummer of Blink182 and Boxcarracers and he has his own tv show. There are plenty of other great drummers that dont get the attention they deserve.

-He's good, but not that good-

defantly man i couldnt have said it better

Travis is good but not great, he doesn't have a ... And Justice For All, Rust in Peace, Death Cult Armageddon, Led Zeppelin anything , Deep Purple in Rock, Masters of Reality, something Wicked This way Comes, Follow the Blind, Painkiller. Again he is good but not epic. He doesn't make me want to play drums but he is nice to listen to some times.

I think that Travis should be considered more of an ambassador to the non-drumming world than a highly skilled musician. He definitely has some skill, but many people hold him in far too high esteem than is probably necessary. I like some of his stuff, but there's always room to improve, for everybody.

You guys forgot that creativity is also an important part of a good drummer.
I've heard from Travis beats that i've heard from anyone else.
For exemple:
Box Car Racer: Cat Like Thief; Instrumental; Sorrow; Elevator; Watch the wold
The Transplants: One Seventeen; Dj Dj;
Blink 182: Story of a lonely guy; Down; Fallen Interlude; Mutt; Anthem part II;

among many others..

Another thing you forgot was the changes that he does on his drum parts when playing live.
Just see some live videos and you all know what im talking about, but the very best are:
Down live on letterman
I miss you (not sure where it was but i think it was from a TV show)

I know he cannot be compared to drummers like Neil Peart; Billy Cobham; JoJo Mayer; we all know that, but that doesnt make him a bad drummer. He has his own place on the pantheon... also he is one of the drum gods choosen by Drum Gods magazine. Another thing some of oyu talked about was his mohawk and his tattos.. well, i gotta ask to keep youre mouh shutted up because he has that almost since he was born.. (1st tatoo - 17; mohawk - 25 or so) (( he wasnt a famous guy already)), so hes not like that to prove some one hes "so hardcore" as someone said...

Travis has been an huge influence on me because of his taste, and his capability of creating cool drum parts for many-time-heard-musics..
I personally preffer him as box car racer drummer than blink or +44.

Hes not GOD (at least for me) but he is an awsome drummer without a doubt.

And no, im not a "travis Barker rullez" member..

P.S.: check the video "blink 182 - down: on letterman" on youtube anyway :)

For everyone who wans to paly some of his grooves.
Not Now is really fun to play

Attachments

• scn0015.jpg
    scn0015.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 678
Hes good. A hard hitter, fast and a showman. There are meny better than him though.

the only real advantage to Travis Barker is the fact that he was in a marching band (which there are loads of drummers who uses techniques used by marching bands) and he was in Blink 182!! (until they split up and he moved to +44)

When i started playing almost 4 years ago, Blink 182 was all i listened to, and until about two years ago Travis was my favorite drummer. Then of course i found loads of other drummers and learned that, while he's pretty darn good, so many others are greater than him. Mr Barker and Joey Jordison are the two most horribly overrated drummers I think.

Travis Barker is a very talented drummer. He is probably better than half of us on here. But he still made it. He may be a bit of an overrated drummer but he is still doing what he loves. He doesnt care if he is overrated, he just does what he wants. I love Blink 182, but when I am listening to them I dont get all, ''''whoooo whoooo'''' for his drumming. I agree with whoever else has said that he is better in The Transpants.

Love him or hate him, he has to be one the busiest drummers, he has marketed himself well. He is still one of my favorite drummers, i think he adds alot to the bands he has played with.

On one hand his fame reminds me of Gene Krupa's popularity among non-drummers.

On the other hand, some people (like whoever did the write up on him in DRUM! magazine) are kissing his arse a bit too much.

It's like those of us who still remember Tommy Lee's upside down drum solos having to read in an ad that Terry Bozzio is a "stunt drummer". Are you kidding?

Travis deserves whatever he's worked for, but popularity and skill don't always go hand in hand; the next Buddy Rich will be a long time coming, I'm afraid.

I'm not exactly a drummer. My last lesson was in the 6th grade and I thought it was neat that I got to flip the little spring thingy to make the drum sound different for a change...I digress. I am clearly going through a quarter-life crisis and I am about to start over as it were...Travis has a lot to do with that. He's done something (for me anyway) that I've never heard anywhere else (long time music fan, dropped band for choir and still went through the high school music theory class).

On "Adam's Song", the first two verses are about "Adam" being lonely and suicidal. He locks himself in his room, alone, listening to music and getting more depressed. Every time the music gets to this part of the song, when Adam is in his room, listening to loud music, waiting for someone to show him that they care about him, Travis makes a series of very sharp snare hits that sounds exactly like someone knocking on a door...but with the rest of the drum track and Mark and Tom's loud Bass+Guitar playing, it's easy to miss it...easy enough that I've never heard anyone else talk about it in the 7 years since the song came out.

I don't know if he did that on purpose, but knowing how much psychologists talk about how any outreach to a suicidal person will more often than not be enough to snap them out of the depression (at least for a short time), that makes the knock at the door turn that song into 100X more effectively depressing than it already was.

For me, in those few places, Travis took his instrument and made it, not just part of the music, but part of the story.

and that is genius...

my opinion...

Scott

I'm not exactly a drummer. My last lesson was in the 6th grade and I thought it was neat that I got to flip the little spring thingy to make the drum sound different for a change...I digress. I am clearly going through a quarter-life crisis and I am about to start over as it were...Travis has a lot to do with that. He's done something (for me anyway) that I've never heard anywhere else (long time music fan, dropped band for choir and still went through the high school music theory class).

On "Adam's Song", the first two verses are about "Adam" being lonely and suicidal. He locks himself in his room, alone, listening to music and getting more depressed. Every time the music gets to this part of the song, when Adam is in his room, listening to loud music, waiting for someone to show him that they care about him, Travis makes a series of very sharp snare hits that sounds exactly like someone knocking on a door...but with the rest of the drum track and Mark and Tom's loud Bass+Guitar playing, it's easy to miss it...easy enough that I've never heard anyone else talk about it in the 7 years since the song came out.

I don't know if he did that on purpose, but knowing how much psychologists talk about how any outreach to a suicidal person will more often than not be enough to snap them out of the depression (at least for a short time), that makes the knock at the door turn that song into 100X more effectively depressing than it already was.

For me, in those few places, Travis took his instrument and made it, not just part of the music, but part of the story.

and that is genius...

my opinion...

Scott

Or maybe his left hand spazzed out for a moment.

I'mj confused though, are you saying that Barker mimicking these knock on the door makes it more depressing to listen to for someone who's suicidal, or that it works to reach out to someone who's already suicidally depressed? And what's wrong with a Leonard Cohen album and a bottle of red wine these days?

Whoa, you mean he actually mimmicked someone knocking on a door with his drums? WOW! He is a genius!

Sorry... Bad mood... No love this morning.

Travis Barker is an awesome drummer and for people to say that he is not versatile and that he only plays punk music is crap. he is very musical and plays a lot of hip-hop, his drumming is featured with some of todays hottest artists. If you think he's over rated, "who cares" he is not a self absorbed person what-so-ever and never suggested that he was the greatest or fastest drummer. He is doing his job and that is to play drums.

Back