5A too thin, 5B too thick...

Re: 5A too thin,5B too thick...

Stick with the 5B, it's simply a case of letting your technique adapt to the size and feel of the stick. 5B is an all-rounder stick, unless you have tiny hands you shouldn't have an issue in the long-run.

There's no real standrd either. Different manufacturers will have differently sized 5Bs and 5As, so maybe try out another brand

At this point every manufacturer has all of their specs laid out pretty well, so it's pretty easy to browse a site to find what you're looking for.

Vater for one also lists on each stick's page other models that are similar only longer/shorter/thicker/ thinner etc. which makes it even easier to find other ideas.

The new Vic Firth Vinnie Colaiuta (he recently switched to Vic)
Neal

Vater 5A's 'Los Angeles' are on the thick side as 5A's go, thicker than VF or ProMark, but you'll notice their hickory is denser, heavier.

Vater fatback 3A. Right between 5a and 5b with a barrel tip.

Dave Weckl signature sticks from Vic Firth. They are slightly smaller than 5b in diameter and lighter.

Vater 5A's 'Los Angeles' are on the thick side as 5A's go, thicker than VF or ProMark, but you'll notice their hickory is denser, heavier.

Yep…was going to recommend this stick as well…slightly thicker feel than VF 5A's...

You need to get some 5-A-B-ish sticks. The problem is that no one makes them. But, you can yourself. For $5 I will send you detailed plans. The only tools and supplies required are the following:

1. Several packs of sand paper

2. At least one pair of 5-B sticks

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Vater Heartbeaters or Vater Fusion

F

That is where I live.

Vater: Fusion, H220, 3A
Vic Firth: 55A
ProMark: Select Balance .580

Good luck finding these in a store. I often cannot, so I use the Vater 5A a lot. Peace and goodwill.

Vater fatback 3A. Right between 5a and 5b with a barrel tip.

Before this post prompted me to look up the specs, I would have sworn that the Fatbacks were far thicker than a 5B.

I'm surprised as I've had 3A's in my bag for years. Whether it's the thicker shoulder, the big barrel tip or just the way they are weighted, they just feel so much meatier than most 5B's I've ever used. I'm genuinely surprised.

Regal Tip 5A (Thicker than other brand's 5A)
.580" x 16"

Yes, I picked up a pair of Regal 5AX and used them on my last two gigs. I'm liking these sticks. May have found my go to stick here. I like the coating too.

ProMark still makes Carter Beaufords stick now called 5AB it has the diameter of a 5A and the shoulder of a 5B with acorn tip, I use these quite a bit. His new stick with Firth is different, has a 5B diameter.

Both derek roddy and george kollias have the same problem, both their signature sticks are right in between. Dereks are vater, and Georges are vics.

Back