Vic Firth TITAN Drumsticks - Product Spotlight video

Interesting. I do a lot of rimshots and my sticks usually look like somebody's been chopping them up. Also, the Nerve is helping my impressions :)

Not keen on spending $50 on sticks, though, especially since I haven't seen them anywhere around to try- and I'm skeptical about how they sound on cymbals (mostly on rides).

Commercial suicide?

I don't think so. At 50 bucks a pair....if they last 5x as long as regular sticks then my drumstick budget shouldn't change much. I am just assuming they are 50 bucks a pair because porter said it.

Pretty impressive though, I gotta say. The weight and the tone is so consistent. If they end up costing the same as wood sticks in the long run....it's a better value because of the consistency, which wood cannot match. The rimclicks sounded superior to the wooden stick, at least in that example.

I'd try a pair. I bet there is zero warpage too.

I look at this like the Ahead sticks. I really dont want to hit my cymbals with something that is harder than the cymbals themselves. I would really like a more durable stick because for some reason I go through a shit load of sticks, but not at the risk of my cymbals.

Carbon fiber is harder than bronze?

Commercial suicide?

Nah... Like Larry said, plus people will loose them, and want different sizes, etc. And I'm sure there are bashers out there mighty enough to break these on a regular basis. Some people take pride in breaking lots of sticks, they'll take even more pride in breaking these :)

They've certainly caught my attention. I might have to get ahold of a pair.

My biggest concern is how the tips will sound on cymbals. I'm really not a fan of nylon tips. If they have somehow found a way to create a composite material that doesn't give you a sound similar to that of nylon tips, I'll be sold.

They've certainly caught my attention. I might have to get ahold of a pair.

My biggest concern is how the tips will sound on cymbals. I'm really not a fan of nylon tips. If they have somehow found a way to create a composite material that doesn't give you a sound similar to that of nylon tips, I'll be sold.

My question as well. Having had some questionable results with non-hickory or maple tips before, I'm a little scared that the carbon fiber tips will give the bizarre sound that those often do.

Good point about what the tip does to the ride cymbal tone. That is a huge factor. Notice they did not mention that whatsoever in the video.

Good point about what the tip does to the ride cymbal tone. That is a huge factor. Notice they did not mention that whatsoever in the video.

Which means they sound weird on the rides.

Even if they do, most rock players could use them for practice and band rehearsal.

Jazz guys will never use em.

Which means they sound weird on the rides.

Lol Jeff, because if they sounded as good, you know they would have been all over that in the video.

If they could solve that issue, then I would consider them.

I like VF sticks. It seems like a good company. Great website too. Who else pitch matches sticks?

As one who has really been having problems with his hands lately, I would really like to know about the transfer of energy and just how close they act or react like wood.

As one who has really been having problems with his hands lately, I would really like to know about the transfer of energy and just how close they act or react like wood.

According to reviews and such, they have no increase on hand and arm fatigue. They are said to play and react just like a wood stick.

Also, for the rest of you, here's a video comparison of them versus wood tips on a ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr21A8cEShk

I can't believe how good they sound. They're just a little brighter than wood tips, but not nearly as offensively bright as nylon tips can be. Sounds like a good trade-off.

I'm really starting to think that Vic Firth is on to something here.

Wow they don't suck! I thought they sounded even warmer than the wood. The wood sounded brighter to me, just by a little.

Hmm...I might buy 1 pair and see how I like them. The tips should outlast hickory by quite a bit I would imagine.

Thanks Tony!

I am definitely picking up a set of these. If nothing else for practice. I go through about a pair of sticks a week, so if these were to last a couple of months they would pay for themselves. I play Vic Firth 5B's anyway, so switching to a set of these in a 5B shouldn't be too big of a difference.

Wow they don't suck! I thought they sounded even warmer than the wood. The wood sounded brighter to me, just by a little.

Hmm...I might buy 1 pair and see how I like them. The tips should outlast hickory by quite a bit I would imagine.

Thanks Tony!

No problem, Larry! I'll probably pick up a pair soon, myself. I'm sure I'll be able to find some locally fairly soon.

I am definitely picking up a set of these. If nothing else for practice. I go through about a pair of sticks a week, so if these were to last a couple of months they would pay for themselves. I play Vic Firth 5B's anyway, so switching to a set of these in a 5B shouldn't be too big of a difference.

I know what you mean. I NEVER used to break sticks, but I've just been eating through them lately.

I've always played 5A, but I need to switch to something bigger, anyhow. If you get ahold of some, let us know how they work out for you!

All of Firth's website links are charging around $48 a pair. Bizarrely, Rupps still has them at $100- which was their price when they were originally introduced at least a year ago IIRC. Not totally sure.

So if they sell for $50 in the States that means they'll be $250 here in Oz, (slight exaggeration...maybe). Won't be picking any of these up any time soon, alas.

I assume they are waiting to see the response before making other sizes. Does anyone know the process? And they molded or heat forced some way. Just wondering

Back