Tom Mounting?

bcarroll22

I'm thinking about buying some suspension mount systems for my two rack toms. But what do I do about the old tom brackets? Do I just leave them there? Do they sell something to put over it? Can I just not put a suspension mount system on a tom that already has 7/8" brackets? Thanks for your help!

They are called Masking Plates. Several companies make them. You can buy some aluminium sheet, cut it down and make your own.
There is also a forum member that makes them.
Another way to do it is to use a hole saw to cut a round piece of ply wood to size and fill the hole with wood and glue. Refinish to taste. The rim mount will cover where the hole was in most cases.
You can also cut a piece of plastic and screw it to the drum with small screws.

Last edited:
I just googled masking plate and the only thing I could find was a Pearl bass drum masking plate. Is there another name for it or something?

Yes, that's what I found, but I don't have a Pearl drum set... It's Ludwig. I think it would look pretty out of place and probably wouldn't even fit... Do they make plain ones, or would i just have to make my own?

I remember seeing others but they were probably discontinued.
Is there a metal shop in your school? Someone there could make some for you. anyone who works with metal can make one.
The rim mount will cover where the plate goes when it is installed on your drum.

One last simple method is to buy a roll of Stainless Steel tape. Use an exacto knife and cut a template using the footprint of your old mount as a guide. Stick the tape over the hole.

Back